Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Looks like Damon Jones will either be packaged in a deal...or cut outright...

dead weight...get rid of the fucker...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

The Cavs are looking at Quincy Douby (my preferred pick for the Cavs at #1), or Mike Gansey...

both can shoot...and are projected NBA point guards...

there's also rumblings that Danny Ferry is trying to reacquire Andre Miller...who would be perfect as the point for the Cavs...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

James confident about contract with Cavaliers

By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer

June 21, 2006

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Now that good pal Dwyane Wade has won an NBA title, LeBron James is even more driven to get his first.

"It just makes me hungrier," James said Wednesday at the groundbreaking for a $4.7 million housing project on the city's east side that he and his business team are partially funding. "The best team won it this year, D-Wade and the Miami Heat. But the NBA doesn't stop in one year.

"I've got a long time to get mine."

It's clearer than ever that James wants to win his first championship with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

On July 1, the club will offer him a five-year, $75 million maximum contract extension. That date has been circled on the Cavs' calendar since they drafted the 21-year-old first overall in 2003.

James is convinced he'll be in Cleveland for a long time.

"I'm very happy here with our team and I'm very excited about our future," he said. "I'm confident we'll get something done. I've got confidence in the organization and what we've done together."

During the announcement of his latest business venture, James was handed a shovel for a photo opportunity to show his commitment to rebuilding an urban area of Cleveland.

The Cavaliers can only hope it also symbolized that their superstar is digging in for a long time.

NBA rules prevent general manager Danny Ferry from publicly commenting on James' contract situation, but it's no secret the team is eager to get beyond July 1.

"It's great that LeBron is showing his commitment toward Northeast Ohio and the city," Ferry said at the ceremony. "The organization is proud of him."

James is proud of Wade, named finals MVP after leading the Heat to four straight wins over the Dallas Mavericks.

Following Miami's 95-92 series-clinching win in Game 6 on Tuesday, James spoke to his jubilant friend in Dallas.

"He was out of his mind, and he doesn't touch alcohol," James said. "I'm excited for him. I'm very happy for him. He's one of my best friends in the whole world. Hopefully, I'll get there one day and he can be excited for me."

James averaged 31.4 points, 7.0 rebounds and 6.6 assists this season while leading the Cavs into the playoffs for the first time since 1998. He was just as good in the postseason (30.8, 8.1 and 5.8) as Cleveland beat Washington in the first round before losing in seven games to Detroit.

There will be a new road block for James next season: the NBA champions.

"We're happy for the Heat," he said. "But at the end of the day it's another step for us (Cavaliers). We want to get better."

As for the housing project, James and three friends and business partners are among the investors in the 18-unit project that will feature two- and three-bedroom, 2,000-square-foot townhouses expected to sell for $265,000 and $325,000 each.

"We're very excited about refurbishing and bringing great things to what we call the hood. Everybody else may call it the city but we call it the hood," James said to cheers at a symbolic groundbreaking for the project. "That's where we grew up at and we never ever had an opportunity like this."

The homes will overlook the scenic Rockefeller Park near the Glenville neighborhood east of downtown.

The lakeside area, once home to the city's most affluent families, is in the beginning stages of a redevelopment after race riots in 1968 caused widespread arson and looting that chased businesses and residents away for nearly 40 years.

Comment

• Unchainme
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Apr 2005

Former 'Canes reunited
          By Steve King, Staff Writer
          June 20, 2006

Kellen Winslow was often Ken Dorsey's go-to receiever at Miami (Fla.).

Photo By Getty Images
          How strange was this, seeing quarterback Ken Dorsey and tight end Kellen Winslow back together after three years on the same team - in Ohio, of all places?

Very strange, to be sure. But there they were this past weekend in the Browns full-squad minicamp.

Only 3½ years before, a football team from Ohio, Ohio State, was the enemy, and there were few Ohioans rooting for Dorsey, Winslow and the rest of the Miami Hurricanes against the Buckeyes in the Fiesta Bowl in the national championship game following the 2002 season.

That didn't work out that night for Dorsey and Winslow, whose Hurricanes lost to Ohio State 31-24 in two overtimes. In fact, on what turned out to be the game's final play, a hurried Dorsey, facing pressure off the edge from a blitz, threw incomplete near the goal on fourth-and-goal from the OSU 1.

"That was a great game - a hard-fought game - for four quarters. Well, actually, for longer than four quarters," Dorsey, smiling, said after one of the minicamp practices.

The ex-Miami stars are hoping things turn out a lot better for them this year with the Browns.

Winslow, of course, is trying to come back after missing all but a pair of games the last two seasons due to injuries. Though Browns head coach Romeo Crennel said he was probably only 90 percent recovered, Winslow looked fully back - and then some - during the minicamp, making plays all over the field.

But the real test will come in late July when the pads go on with the start of training camp, followed by the preseason and the regular season. He should be at, or close to, 100 percent by then.

Dorsey is currently trying to make his own mark, but in a different way. Just a fourth-year pro himself with only 10 career starts and only 11 games played, the 25-year-old is the backup for young Charlie Frye, entering his second season.

As minicamp closed on Sunday, Crennel said he felt comfortable enough with Dorsey that, "I think we need to go to training camp and give him a chance.''

The easy-going Dorsey seems comfortable with that.

Since he's come to the Browns May 4 in a trade with the 49ers involving the man who was slated to compete with Frye for the starting job this season, Trent Dilfer, Dorsey seems to be easing into a real comfort level. He's learning the system, he's learning his new teammates and, to give him some familiarity, he's been reunited with Winslow.

"This is a great opportunity here for me," Dorsey said. "It's a fresh start. It's a new place. And it's an exciting place. There are a lot of positive things going on here.

Ken Dorsey.

Photo By John H. Reid III
          "Coming in here only a couple months ago, I'm trying to get up to speed as quickly as possible. I'm not thinking about anything other than picking up the offense. I'm not worried about competing for the job."

Obviously, Dorsey wants to play. What player doesn't? But right now, the Browns are intent on giving Frye every chance to succeed.

"I can be that sounding board for Charlie," Dorsey said. "There are things I bring with me. I've played three years in the league. I have the experience of going through things as a starting quarterback, and I've been in a lot of different systems. Charlie and I, we can help each other out."

And, after all those years together at Miami, no one on the Browns knows Winslow better than Dorsey. That really counts for something since Winslow, if he has no health setbacks, is set to be such a big part of this offense.

"It's great to be back throwing the ball to him again in practice," Dorsey said. "He can definitely get back to what he was before he got hurt. He's one of the hardest workers you'll ever see. He expects a lot of himself.

"And because he's so big and strong and fast, he's a great mismatch for the other team. He opens up a lot of things for you."

Just as he did for Dorsey when they were both with the Hurricanes attempting to beat Ohio State.

Now they're in Ohio trying to further a dream instead of seeing one end. The time in between has changed a lot for them.
          Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Unchainme
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Apr 2005

I'm very curious How Winslow will work out for us, He's still basically a rookie, But he looked very impressive from what 3 GAMES, We saw of him, I cannot remeber but he was being qouted and he auctually sounded very different, I think the motorcycle accident humbled him, No more of "I'M A FUCKING SOLDIER" Bullshit, I think he finally gets it now.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

It's good he's rebuilding the area...good sign...

of course...notice how unaffordable the housing is for all his peeps...lmfao...

that area is a mint though...it could be anyways...

Comment

• Unchainme
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Apr 2005

He is the best thing to ever happen to Cleveland Sports. I'm thankful everyday that we have, I'm not like those idiots who boo him, Thats fucking Gay as hell. That's like Booing Michael Jordan Or Wayne Gretsky to me.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

Certainly for Cavs basketball...if he spurns a contract though...you can bet...this would be his longest season in NBA history...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

He ain't going anywhere.

Comment

• Unchainme
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ALinChainz
                      He ain't going anywhere.
                      Some guy on the plane I was on a couple days ago, Said He was going to the nets because The Nets are moving to Brooklyn and Jay-Z (Famous Rapper) is one of the owner.

I personally don't think it will ever happen, And if it does Lebron would be on the level of Uncle Scum in terms of hatred in the NEOhio.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

Well...I don't think he's leaving this year...

but the 5 year deal will end when he's what...26?

Of course...the Cavs will still be able to give them the most money...by a longshot...

Comment

• Unchainme
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                          Well...I don't think he's leaving this year...

but the 5 year deal will end when he's what...26?

Of course...the Cavs will still be able to give them the most money...by a longshot...

Do you think he would at least be able to give us 1 championship during those Five years?, That In My Opinion would really make him stay here. My Guess Is Yes.

Comment

• Unchainme
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Apr 2005

Crennel won’t rule out Vinny
                            Written by Steve Doerschuk REPOSITORY SPORTS WRITER
                            Tuesday, 20 June 2006

BEREA - The Browns sang Sunday before their last big offseason break. They huddled at the end of the final minicamp practice and performed “Happy Birthday” for Romeo Crennel.

“He wouldn’t tell us how old he is,” said quarterback Charlie Frye, a tenor.

Crennel turned 59 Sunday. He is an older head coach under whom graying players do not suffer age discrimination, evidenced by his mature New England defenses, not to mention his Browns nose tackle, 38-year-old Ted Washington.

Vinny Testaverde Crennel isn’t saying so, but he is hardly dousing speculation the Browns are thinking about signing 42-year-old quarterback Vinny Testaverde.

The team has no experienced backup for 24-year-old starter-elect Frye. Ken Dorsey, 25, was 1-6 with a 62.4 passer rating in a trial as a 49ers starter in 2004. Derek Anderson, 22, didn’t take a snap as a 2005 rookie.

Crennel touched on the possibility of signing Testaverde.

“I’ve got a guy in mind that knows the system,” Crennel said. “He might be a little bit older than I am.”

It was obvious Crennel was talking about Testaverde, who had a big year with the Jets (29 TDs, seven interceptions) when Crennel was a coach with that team in 1998. Crennel stayed playful but provocative as he explained how long it would take Testaverde to plug in to a Browns role.

“He could come in on Friday and, boom, he’d be good to go on Sunday,” Crennel said.

Testaverde started four straight games and played extensively in another for an unstable Jets team last year. His only win was 14-12 against Tampa Bay, the team that made him a No. 1 pick in 1987.

His last extended action came at Denver on Nov. 20, when he went 15-of-25 for 152 yards. He threw two interceptions in a 27-0 loss.

Crennel is weighing whether Testaverde might give the improving Browns a better chance to win than Dorsey or Anderson if anything happens to Frye. Might Testaverde be interested in returning to Cleveland, where he started 31 games from 1993-95?

“I have no idea,” Crennel said. “He might tell me, ‘Go take a swim.’ I don’t know because I haven’t spoken with him.”

Dorsey was the No. 2 quarterback in Sunday’s final minicamp practice. He sounded authoritative as he ran a two-minute drill. He put some short passes on the money to Lee Suggs, a candidate for the third-down back role.

“At this time, Ken is still learning the system,” Crennel said. “I think we’ve got to get to training camp to see what he looks like there.”

Former Browns Head Coach Sam Rutigliano thinks Brian Sipe, who became NFL MVP as an eighth-year pro, might have developed sooner with a mentor type to guide him.

“This Browns team seems to have enough things going for it that, now, you’re not dreaming to think about winning,” Rutigliano said after practice. “The only thing I see next is to put somebody in the bullpen who can help Charlie on the field.”

Frye has received some support and instruction from Bernie Kosar, who hasn’t played for years. Testaverde, who was born 12 days after Kosar, has the advantage of having been plugged in to the “now.”

In 2004, he started 15 games and threw for 3,532 yards for Bill Parcells’ Cowboys, whose offensive coordinator was Mo Carthon, is in his second year as Cleveland’s coordinator.

Frye isn’t clamoring for a mentor. He says he spends much of his life breaking down film with position coach Rip Scherer, with Carthon sometimes sitting in. He seems jazzed about the revised supporting cast, featuring new center LeCharles Bentley.

“LeCharles was an honor-roll guy in high school,” Frye said. “He knows defenses. He’s gonna be a big help to me.

“The biggest help is, during games, he’ll be able to help identifying defensive fronts.

“He’s picked up the offense real fast.”

Comment

• Unchainme
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Apr 2005

You know I'm getting real sick of people asuming that baltimore will be good just because they have steve McNair, IMO the Browns are now better than them, and the Ravens have an even worse O-Line (If you can believe it.), than even the browns. Anyone else agree?

Comment

• Bob_R
                                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Does Ron Belliard think he's Manny Ramirez? :confused:
                                Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

Working...