• Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

Cleveland's Run Takes On an Erie Significance

By Michael Wilbon
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007; E01

They don't know exactly what to do or how to act in Cleveland these days. They haven't had much practice with a winner, not that the Cavaliers have won it all yet. In fact, LeBron James and the Cavaliers are just close enough to break Cleveland's heart again -- for only the millionth time since a professional team last won there, which was 1964.

That's why so many took to the streets and blew their horns until the wee hours on Saturday after the Cavaliers finished off the Pistons to reach the NBA Finals.

After every crushing disappointment over the last 20-plus years, whether it was the Browns, the Indians or the Cavaliers, I'd call my uncle, Cecil King, who has lived in Cleveland his entire adult life, and console him after "The Drive" or "The Fumble" or Michael Jordan shooting over Craig Ehlo. This time, it felt good to call him after Cleveland had won something, and even better to hear him, alternately laughing and choked up, say: "It's been a long time since Jim Brown. I'm turning 70 and I was getting worried I wouldn't see us get close to winning anything again. I don't think most of us expected LeBron to break through and carry us this far this year. The place is so high in spirit. It's such a beautiful time to be in Cleveland."

Don't look here for any Cleveland jokes. If any American city is deserving of the lift in civic spirit that only a sporting championship can deliver, it's Cleveland. The dearth of team championships mirrors, as longtime residents know, Cleveland's demise as a city, which began just after the Browns won the 1964 NFL championship.

"Every kind of sports disappointment you can have in sports, Cleveland has had it," my friend Brian Dunmore, born and raised in Cleveland, told me the other day. "Buzzer-beating losses in the NBA playoffs, one-out-to-go loss in the World Series, the Browns leaving town, Ernie Davis dying of leukemia without ever getting to play a snap, John Elway leading 'The Drive.' . . . Maybe LeBron delivering the Cavaliers is the sports gods finally saying, 'Enough is enough.' "

Even worse, the city's teams and the city's incredible misfortunes are inseparable.

Cleveland didn't just shrink during the last 50-plus years, it shriveled. It was the nation's fifth-largest city in 1920 and remained in the top 10 through the 1970 census, but after a decades-long exodus it was the 39th-largest city in America in 2005, down from almost 915,000 residents in 1950 to 452,208. Nearly 180,000 people left in the 1970s alone, and the city reportedly lost 150,000 manufacturing jobs. Now, the median household income is 97th among the top 100 cities. The exodus, the 1968 riots and the city defaulting in 1978 led to a heap of ridicule, to the moniker "Mistake by the Lake." In 1972, as local legend has it, Mayor Ralph Perk's wife declined a dinner with President Richard M. Nixon because it interfered with her bowling night.

When the city was going strong, so were its teams. The Browns, filling a vacancy created by the Rams moving from Cleveland to Los Angeles, joined the NFL in 1950 and easily were the team of the decade. They won the title in their inaugural NFL season, and reached seven of the next eight championship games. They had the league's best and most famous player, Jim Brown. Their coach, Paul Brown, essentially invented the modern pro game and begat Bill Walsh, who reinvented it.

The Indians won the World Series in 1948, and six years later won 111 games and made it back to the Fall Classic. Of course, Willie Mays robbed Vic Wertz with his famous over-the-shoulder catch in that '54 Series, in which the New York Giants swept Cleveland. Maybe that was a bit of foreshadowing. The week before the NFL's "Greatest Game Ever Played" in 1958 between the Giants and Colts, the Giants beat the Browns to advance to the championship game. About a year and a half after the Browns won in 1964, Jim Brown retired, and the Indians fell into serious hard times that would last 30 years, until they came back strong in a new stadium in the 1990s. However, they lost to the Atlanta Braves in the '95 World Series and then in 1997 to the expansion Florida Marlins in the 11th inning of Game 7.

The Cavaliers, who arrived through NBA expansion in 1970, nearly had a shining moment in 1976 when they upset the defending conference champion Washington Bullets, but then lost to the Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals. The next time the Cavaliers appeared on the cusp of something big was 1989. Magic Johnson took a long look at the roster of young players (Mark Price, Ron Harper, Brad Daugherty, Hot Rod Williams, Craig Ehlo, Larry Nance) and pronounced them the "team of the '90s." That was fine, except Michael Jordan hit that series-winning shot over Ehlo in Game 5 of the 1989 East quarterfinals, which propelled Jordan and the Bulls and seemed to destroy the young Cavaliers. They succumbed to the Bulls in the 1992 conference finals, were felled by a massive wave of injuries after that and never get close . . . until now.

"Seeing the Cavaliers lose like that actually hurt me more than the Browns losing to Elway," Uncle Cecil said. "At least I'd seen the Browns win, and there was a tradition there that suggested they could get back."

Then, of course, the Browns left for Baltimore after the 1995 season and won a Super Bowl after the 2000 season for another city, where they were assembled by a Browns Hall of Famer, Ozzie Newsome.

The disappointments are so massive and so numerous, I asked Dunmore, now a retail licensing executive for the PGA Tour, to rank them. "Number one has to be 'The Drive,' " he said. "Nothing else comes close. We had the game, we were playing at home, we were going to the Super Bowl and John Elway is 98 yards away. Number two has to be 'The Fumble,' " when Earnest Byner was stripped of the ball by the Broncos' Jeremiah Castille near the goal line in Denver in the AFC championship game in 1988.

"I would say number three was the Indians' World Series loss to the Marlins in '97. South Florida has three teams that have won championships [Dolphins, Heat and Marlins], none of which even existed when Cleveland won its last championship. I'd put Jordan-over-Ehlo further down because that was more about Chicago's ascension than anything else."

So, even if the Cavaliers lose to the Spurs, it's unlikely to trump so many other Cleveland losses.

"It's phenomenal to have a kid from Akron, which is a peg below Cleveland, lead a Cleveland team to a championship," Dunmore said. "We've had a lot of terrific players, guys like Leroy Kelly, Ozzie Newsome, Mark Price, Brad Daugherty, Ron Harper. Manny Ramirez was on those Indians teams that reached the World Series. But this is the first time since Jim Brown that people throughout the country are looking at Cleveland and seeing that supernova player. It does incredible things for civic pride. Look at what Michael Jordan did to define Chicago and how that city feels about itself. LeBron James is from us. He's from right down the road. He put us on the map again. We're the center of sports in America, which happens so infrequently. You'll see those aerial views of Cleveland, the shots of the arena and downtown Cleveland, which is coming back. It's been 40 years since Jim Brown retired, 40 years since Cleveland has had 'The Man.' "

Article From Wilbon on Why Cleveland Deserves a Championship..

I'm one of the few folks on the board who like PTI..Hell..everyone hates it..But I never miss it..
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Unchainme
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Apr 2005

Notes from another Famous 23's first visit to the Finals..

Comment

• Unchainme
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Apr 2005

Browns see Cavs bringing it home

It's unanimous -- the Browns are not only behind the Cavs, but each Browns player surveyed by ClevelandBrowns.com picks the Cavs to defeat the Spurs in the NBA Finals, which start tonight in San Antonio. Have a look at some of the Browns' players thoughts on the series.

Quarterback Charlie Frye

Prediction: Cavs in 6

Series MVP: LeBron James, of course

Thoughts on the series: "The Cavs are going to have to figure out a way to stop Tim Duncan and get LeBron going. But they have a lot of momentum and I think if they play as a team, they'll be able to get it done."

Fullback Lawrence Vickers

Prediction: Cavs in 7

Series MVP: Daniel Gibson, representing H-Town

Thoughts on the series: "I'm a Rockets fan, so I don't like the Spurs much. But I think the Cavs can do it. It's been exciting here in Cleveland and I'm going with the guys from my new hometown."

Wide Receiver Joe Jurevicius

Series MVP: LeBron James

Thoughts on the series: "They showed what can happen if you stick together as a team. There were some times where they may have struggled during the season but you've got your star in LeBron and you've got a bunch of other people that accept their roles and are stars in their own right. Having had the opportunity to play in three Super Bowls and win conference championships, it's the neatest thing going. The only thing to do now is put the icing on the cake and win the thing."

Linebacker Kamerion Wimbley

Prediction: Cavs. How many games? "You'll have to ask the experts."

Thoughts on the series: "LeBron is a phenomenal player. He's going to be a Michael Jordan-type guy if he's not already there now."

Running Back Jason Wright

Thoughts on the series: "I grew up a Lakers fan so I can't stand San Antonio. We're going to win it. It's Cleveland's year, period."

Safety Brodney Pool

Series MVP: Daniel Gibson

Thoughts on the series: "It makes you want to get there. They turned their thing around. Two years ago they were just rebuilding, so hopefully we can change it around too."

Linebacker Antwan Peek

Prediction: Cavs in 5

Thoughts on the series: "The Cavs have a good thing going. It's been great to see the city go crazy, and I've enjoyed it myself. I made it down to a couple games and got caught in the excitement of playing for a championship"

Punter Dave Zastudil

Series MVP: LeBron, of course

Thoughts on the series: "I've been a Cavs fan my whole life. I remember how close they came in the Mark Price/Coliseum days. It's incredible that they're here, and I think they'll make the most of it. It's a great thing for the city and we're really excited for everybody."

Tackle Kelly Butler

Series MVP: Boobie Gibson

Thoughts on the series: "Defense. Mike Brown is a defensive minded coach who's coached with the Spurs and understands what they're going to try to do. As far as scoring, the Cavs have Boobie, Gooden and LeBron, and I think Larry Hughes will bring a little spark. Tim Duncan will get his points and it will be a good series, but I feel like the Cavs will bring it home."

Cleveland Browns Home: The official source of the latest Browns headlines, news, videos, photos, tickets, rosters, stats, schedule, and gameday information

Comment

• chi-town324
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Feb 2007

Keepin it close in the first half

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

Good God...if the Browns are picking the Cavs...that CAN'T be a good thing.

As far as the game tonight...

many props to the Spurs...

superb gameplan tonight...

but many holes...many holes...
            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
              Sniper
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
              Good God...if the Browns are picking the Cavs...that CAN'T be a good thing.

As far as the game tonight...

many props to the Spurs...

superb gameplan tonight...

but many holes...many holes...
              It's nice to see 2 classy organizations in the NBA finals. I was pulling for the Cavs all the way to get to the finals. I hope the ratings will be good. Detroit and Spurs match-up would have tanked, again... Good luck..
              https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
              http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• chi-town324
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Feb 2007

Le Bron needs to up his game unless they want to get swept

Comment

• ALinChainz
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

The Spurs had a week layoff ... lots of rust ... I don't know that rust constitutes holes.

The Spurs in 5.

Comment

• Unchainme
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ALinChainz
                    The Spurs had a week layoff ... lots of rust ... I don't know that rust constitutes holes.

The Spurs in 5.
                    I still think the cavs have a shot al.....You gotta believe..and stick with them to the end..

Oh...and that was the most boring game of Basketball I've EVER watched...The NBA needs to do away with the spurs rather than deal with that snore fest again.

Comment

• Unchainme
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Apr 2005

Heres the Thing..After watching the game...I respect Duncan and all...But It wasn't the least bit exciting...The Crowd really didn't care either..They acted like a Woman's team was there..Their PR department needs to step that up quickly...Theres no doubting the Spurs Beat us...But my lord..it was so boring to watch..No high energy plays..just very boring basketball...A very vanilla team, Hell even when the Buls were dominating..The Games were at least entertaining to watch!

The NBA should be hitting it's knees praying to God, The Cavs come back and win the series...because if they do, The Spurs Era in the west will be over...And a New Era in The NBA will finall y begin.

The Spurs Are To Basketball, What Nickleback is to music, Sure they have Number 1 records...And they have millions of sales..But they're bland as hell...Much like the Spurs

Comment

• ALinChainz
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Count the rings dude ... its not how, its how many.

Period.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

The Cavs play in the East.

The Spurs play in the West. Even if the Cavs win, it won't affect the Spurs in the West. Teams like Dallas and Phoenix, and now in the future, maybe Portland, will decide how far the Spurs rule the West.

LeBron needs help. He needs a "Pippen" of sorts. I'd like to see them add a bonafide point guard and a legit power forward. I think they should have went after Ben Wallace last season and kept him away from Chicago. He could have played that PF spot, allowed Gooden to come off the bench for offense.

Comment

• Unchainme
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ALinChainz
                            Count the rings dude ... its not how, its how many.

Period.
                            I know dude..I respect them for that...but My lord...They've got to be the most boring Dynasty in Sports..

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                              Sniper
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Unchainme
                              The Crowd really didn't care either..They acted like a Woman's team was there..Their PR department needs to step that up quickly...Theres no doubting the Spurs Beat us...But my lord..it was so boring to watch..No high energy plays..just very boring basketball...A very vanilla team
                              The Spurs are a reflection of our city. Very laid back and modest. We have won 3 championships, 0 riots. Look at my man David Robinson, he was not born here, but he stayed here. As of 2007 he has donated more of HIS own money to charity, than any professional athlete in history. 11 million and counting. His David Robinson foundation has donated a couple more. The reason the USA basketball team keeps getting beat now, is because the players of today have gone away from the simple fundamentals of the game. The rest of the world learned from the original dream team (1992) and the USA kids of today, want to dunk and do fancy stuff that doesn't work againt a good defensive/well discipline team. Until we fix the problem, our Olympic Basketball team will continue to lose. The way we can fix this problem, is to recognize that AND1 and street balling style of play, is not doing any good. The Spurs are a vanilla team, but try to stop them. The Spurs vanilla team, has beaten a flashy team like the Suns, 23 out of 31 games since Nash arrived. And that includes a 12 and 3 record in the playoffs. Admit it, if the Spurs were your team, you would be loving them. The Cowboys in the 90's had a vanilla team too, and had 15 main offensive plays, but nobody could stop them. Unlike some of the Cowboys, The Spurs are great role model team. If my Sons grow up half of what a great person David is, I'm a happy Dad. The Moral of this story, please respect and appreciate my Spurs. Because we need more teams like them. Please excuse my grammer, I destroyed my brain cells in the late 70's early 80's, listening to Classic VH. What can I say!
                              https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
                              http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• Unchainme
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Apr 2005

No worries Bro..I don't hate the spurs..Again the folks are probably great people, same with the ballplayers...Just their style isn't my cup of tea is all, Not Very fun for a kid like me to watch..You are right in saying the Cowboys are not exactly the best role models..Especially, With T.O.

LOL..Though..let us get a chance to win won championship though is all I ask....We need it..

Comment

Working...