• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Tour Meltdown...

Flashback: Van Halen's Ill-Fated 2004 Reunion Tour With Sammy Hagar

By Andy Greene
    August 8, 2013 1:45 PM

Van Halen's 2004 reunion tour with Sammy Hagar made a lot of sense, on paper. The group had been in hibernation for six years following their ill-fated LP and world tour with Extreme vocalist Gary Cherone, and fans were hungry to see the band again. David Lee Roth may have seemed like the obvious choice for a vocalist at this point, but private attempts to reunite with him earlier in the decade quickly fizzled. With no other viable option, they reached out to Sammy Hagar, who was quite willing to forgive and forget.

The tour could have been a huge triumph, but problems emerged before they played a single note together. Eddie didn't want to include Michael Anthony, and Hagar wouldn't agree to anything unless the bassist was on the tour. Anthony ultimately signed a contract that drastically reduced his income for the tour. "I had to also concede a bunch of other stuff like percentage cuts and any claim to the trademark," he told Rolling Stone in 2007. "I didn't need the money. I decided to suck it up because I thought if this was the last time Van Halen was performing, I wanted to be out there with them and with the fans."

Michael Anthony was on board, but Sammy Hagar was shocked when he saw Eddie in the flesh for the first time in a decade. "He looked like he hadn't bathed in a week," he wrote in his 2011 memoir Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock. "He was missing a number of teeth and the ones he had left were black. His boots were so worn out he had gaffer's tape wrapped around them, and his big toe stuck out. He walked up to me, hunched over like a little old man, a cigarette in his mouth. He had a third of his tongue removed because of cancer and he spoke with a slight lisp."

The group decided to cut three new songs for a Van Halen compilation album, but Ed kept disappearing and Sammy started to fear the whole thing would fall apart. "He had turned into the weirdest fuck I'd ever seen, crude, rude and unkempt," he wrote. "I should have walked, but Eddie's got a very charming, cunning side to him, where you feel like he's got a good heart. He's going to come through. He's going to clean up and we're going to get this thing done."

With help from producer Glen Ballard, they managed to cobble together three songs. They then assembled a set list that was heavy on material from the Van Hagar era, a handful of songs from the Roth era and the three new songs. (Here's video of the group performing "Panama" at the Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford, New Jersey.)

It was clear to most people in the crowd that Eddie wasn't in the best shape, but few knew the depths of his drinking problem. Hagar and Anthony barely spoke to Eddie backstage, but by some miracle they didn't miss a single date on the tour. When it ended in Tucson, Arizona in November of 2004, they went their separate ways. Sammy hasn't spoken to Eddie since, and Anthony learned he was fired from the band when he read reports online a few years later that Eddie's son Wolfgang was the new bassist.

Despite all the trouble, Sammy Hagar has no regrets about his time in Van Halen. "Everyone immediately goes to the dirt, but quite honestly being in Van Halen was one of the greatest experiences in my life," he told Rolling Stone in 2011. "I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I’ll take the dirt right with it."

He even told us another reunion isn't totally out of the question. "Someday, before we all die, fuck yeah," he said. "We might be in our nineties, though."

RollingStone

The last part of the last show....

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Heck with '08 Dave and '12 Ed, I would have loved me some '02 Dave and '04 Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
        The last part of the last show....
        I was at this one.. about 10-12 rows back and clearly remember Ed smashing that thing... I was certain I'd never see him alive again.
        Originally posted by wiseguy
        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

Hagar's outfit is awful as much as ace's.....
          Don't notice most of my posts are less than 2 lines...

Fender Custom Shop Owners Club

Gibson Custom Shop Owners Club

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Cato View Post
            Hagar's outfit is awful as much as ace's.....
            He's awful. I remember being able to taste the tension. It was nice to see Ed sick of that fat clown. Oh, and Wolf played rhythm on YRGM. Crazy that 3 years later he'd be playing bass in front of me..
            Originally posted by wiseguy
            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

I remember paying 250ish for a couple tickets for the 04 tour. Don't know if it was problems with Ed and/or poor ticket sales, but they cancelled. Looking back, thk god they did.

Comment

I've stated numerous times on this site that one of the proudest moments in my life was declining free tickets to their November 4th show at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, IA. They were offered to me by my older brother, who knew I was a Van Halen freak. To which I replied:

"That's not Van Halen."
                My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

I said this before but, my dad saw them on the 2004 tour and he thought it was absolutley heartbreaking. He never outright said it, but he truly believed Eddie was going to die after the tour. He'd just say "He dosen't look that healthy" and "I don't think his health is all that good" And he didn't know the truth about how much of an asshole Sammy was on that tour, selling tequila while his bandmate was deteriorating of alcoholism.
                  How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

Originally posted by DLR Bridge View Post
                    Heck with '08 Dave and '12 Ed, I would have loved me some '02 Dave and '04 Ed.
                    So you'd rather see Dave wearing pink sequined pants and a horrible wig and Eddie on the brink of death that an older and wiser Dave and a sober Ed?
                    How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

Had no urge whatsoever to see them when they came to Buffalo/Darien Lake. I had better things to do like watch paint dry and staple my eyebrows...

Comment

Originally posted by fraroc View Post
                        So you'd rather see Dave wearing pink sequined pants and a horrible wig and Eddie on the brink of death than an older and wiser Dave and a sober Ed?
                        I was actually kinda joking, but to tell you the truth, they were both way more rock and roll then then they are now. I know Dave put on great shows then and Ed was actually pretty damn good at the Philly show I caught early on the '04 hell tour. Don't think he was stinking up the joints until a bit further into the tour.

As far as the whole sobriety thing goes, if these guys could simply "craft their buzz" as Dave once described the art, they'd be a heck of a lot more loose on stage. I love this band and I'm glad their alive and well, but the maniacally outrageous behavior that was rampant throughout the band during the early shows we all long to own on DVD someday were brought to you in part by alcohol. Among other recreational supplements.
                        Last edited by DLR Bridge; 08-29-2013, 07:44 PM.

Comment

One of the most difficult things in rock is to make yourself look interesting at 60 without looking like a sell-out, or just plain silly. Some folks can pull it off (Alice Cooper for example - you would never know he's a successful restauranteur and a damn good golfer just by going to his show), others can't (ie: Sammy Haggar - whose shows are like infomercials). I think Dave is still trying to find his way with his image and played it very, very safe on this most recent tour. He already had one last hurrah back in 07/08 and delivered the goods, both vocally and athletically. The 2012 ADKOT tour didn't translate quite as well for DLR in terms of outrageous rock and roll behavior as the preceding tour - but there are little things Dave can do to improve this and give us back the DLR attitude of old. #1) lose the dance floor. #2) lose the Oz scarecrow meets vaudeville schtick. #3) retire the jumps, kicks, and splits for good. #4) bring back the menace and confidence of old, where he prowled the stage like a rock God. #5) most importantly... repair the pipes. Do whatever it takes to get them in working order. Sing the songs properly so we can sing along too. The screams are gone for good - that's cool. But your voice is your meal ticket. Time to put in the serious work and get it in shape.

This edition of Dave's Career Advice brought to you by Zing!

My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

This^

Comment

Originally posted by Zing! View Post
                              One of the most difficult things in rock is to make yourself look interesting at 60 without looking like a sell-out, or just plain silly. Some folks can pull it off (Alice Cooper for example - you would never know he's a successful restauranteur and a damn good golfer just by going to his show), others can't (ie: Sammy Haggar - whose shows are like infomercials). I think Dave is still trying to find his way with his image and played it very, very safe on this most recent tour. He already had one last hurrah back in 07/08 and delivered the goods, both vocally and athletically. The 2012 ADKOT tour didn't translate quite as well for DLR in terms of outrageous rock and roll behavior as the preceding tour - but there are little things Dave can do to improve this and give us back the DLR attitude of old. #1) lose the dance floor. #2) lose the Oz scarecrow meets vaudeville schtick. #3) retire the jumps, kicks, and splits for good. #4) bring back the menace and confidence of old, where he prowled the stage like a rock God. #5) most importantly... repair the pipes. Do whatever it takes to get them in working order. Sing the songs properly so we can sing along too. The screams are gone for good - that's cool. But your voice is your meal ticket. Time to put in the serious work and get it in shape.

This edition of Dave's Career Advice brought to you by Zing!

Well said....

The problem, however, is that #5 may not be possible.... Let's face it, age takes it's toll....

It's happened, among varying degrees, to the best of them.... It happened to Sinatra, for Invisible Man sakes....

But there are ways you can minimize that, such as changing the key of the song to accommodate Dave's inability to hit the notes any more....

Zeppelin did that on some songs for Plant...

KISS is now doing that for Stanley....

Doing that would not only make Dave's vocals so much better, but would also eliminate those embarrassing yelps (think DTNA) that he's doing now....
                              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...
                              X