Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

You know what singing style I'd like to see him re-visit is the vocal tone he worked with on the Diamond Dave CD. Shoo Bop and Stay While The Night Is Young in particular, feature Dave singing in a cool, mellow, slightly smokers raspy style that I think suited him well. I'm not sure how that translates to arena rock, but if they are to record again, I think he should take this route, rather than the Outta Space nut-grab shrieking. Not that that song doesn't kick ass, but you catch my drift.

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
      You know what singing style I'd like to see him re-visit is the vocal tone he worked with on the Diamond Dave CD. Shoo Bop and Stay While The Night Is Young in particular, feature Dave singing in a cool, mellow, slightly smokers raspy style that I think suited him well. I'm not sure how that translates to arena rock, but if they are to record again, I think he should take this route, rather than the Outta Space nut-grab shrieking. Not that that song doesn't kick ass, but you catch my drift.

Push Comes to Shove & Ladies Night in Buffalo.......both excellent tunes with Dave at his best. Even You're No Good has a lot of that vibe to it.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• BenJammin
        Foot Soldier
        • Feb 2004

I don't think Dave could ever do justice to Outta Space live anyway. Probably took at least 50 takes to get that song pieced together for the album.

.... unless we could find '07 Dave who actually managed to pull off Atomic Punk pretty well live.
        Last edited by BenJammin; 09-13-2013, 08:54 AM.
        "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

• DLR Bridge
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I still think it sounds like he's saying, "need a motem and a Chevy..." in the beginning of that tune. Parts of Beats Workin' are still hard to decipher.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BenJammin
            I don't think Dave could ever do justice to Outta Space live anyway. Probably took at least 50 takes to get that song pieced together for the album.

.... unless we could find '07 Dave who actually managed to pull off Atomic Punk pretty well live.
            Had to laugh, because the first time I heard that track, I thought "he must have sung it one line at a time, and then it was all spliced together." Like, no way he could do that whole tune in one shot live; he'd be knackered for the rest of the show.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
              Had to laugh, because the first time I heard that track, I thought "he must have sung it one line at a time, and then it was all spliced together." Like, no way he could do that whole tune in one shot live; he'd be knackered for the rest of the show.
              it's one thing to do it in a studio and another while you twirled a stick, swung a sword and slide around a stage while you are very close to become 60 years old...see chinatown...dave just can't keep up with the tempo anymore at that point of the concert. age takes it's toll...
              Roth Army Icon
              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Zing!
                Veteran
                • Oct 2011

Dave definitely needs a breather during the show - he doesn't have a pointless bass solo any longer to catch his breath. Giving up the smokes once and for all would help tremendously with this I would think. Having Chinatown in the set-list was an interesting choice. There's no way DLR could keep up with that tune, although he did the best he could. I wonder if future Van Halen shows (should there be any) will feature more lower tempo cuts, like "Push Comes To Shove."
                My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                  it's one thing to do it in a studio and another while you twirled a stick, swung a sword and slide around a stage while you are very close to become 60 years old...see chinatown...dave just can't keep up with the tempo anymore at that point of the concert. age takes it's toll...

Is that why they haven't actually played As Is yet? I know the band practiced it in sound check. But that is a damn fast paced tune.

I remember Vince Neil used to complain about how hard it was to keep up with the verses in Shout At The Devil. He said it was great in the studio, but killed him live. Same thing as with VH.
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                    Is that why they haven't actually played As Is yet? I know the band practiced it in sound check. But that is a damn fast paced tune.

I remember Vince Neil used to complain about how hard it was to keep up with the verses in Shout At The Devil. He said it was great in the studio, but killed him live. Same thing as with VH.
                    who knows...but I'd kill to hear "As Is" live...
                    Roth Army Icon
                    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Zing!
                      Dave definitely needs a breather during the show - he doesn't have a pointless bass solo any longer to catch his breath. Giving up the smokes once and for all would help tremendously with this I would think. Having Chinatown in the set-list was an interesting choice. There's no way DLR could keep up with that tune, although he did the best he could. I wonder if future Van Halen shows (should there be any) will feature more lower tempo cuts, like "Push Comes To Shove."
                      From what I saw on the Tubes, Dave's butchery of China Town mostly stemmed from his total disregard of the lyrics as they were recorded. I think I saw two vids where he actually sang the lyrics correctly (for the most part) and one of them was from that last series of shows, Osh Kosh I think. I remember almost falling out of my chair because I couldn't believe he was actually singing the lyrics correctly.

Comment

Working...