X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
    They used to run the Jet Car Finals at the local drags in my hometown. We were 20 feet or so behind the staging area about even with the bleach box right next to the track behind a short chain link fence. Two Jet cars were staging. I just noticed everyone else had moved away from the fence and started moving myself but it was too late. The blast was just enough to burn all the hair off my legs. Good thing it was only staging. The blast from the jet engines at launch would probably set you on fire.
    Was that before you got chased out of your hometown by people with torches and pitchforks?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
      We both know I spend more time in the garage getting my hands dirty, than you've ever dreamed of. That's why I have man hands, and you have soft feminine hands, with manicured nails.
      You're so butch! Do you change your own oil?

Comment

• Von Halen
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        You're so butch! Do you change your own oil?
        Sometimes. And when I do, I take it right out to the storm drain, and dump it there.

Comment

• qikgts
          Head Fluffer
          • Jan 2012

They used to run the Jet Car Finals at the local drags in my hometown. We were 20 feet or so behind the staging area about even with the bleach box right next to the track behind a short chain link fence. Two Jet cars were staging. I just noticed everyone else had moved away from the fence and started moving myself but it was too late. The blast was just enough to burn all the hair off my legs. Good thing it was only staging. The blast from the jet engines at launch would probably set you on fire.
          That'll teach ya! lol It's pretty cool when they bang the afterburners but like you said I wouldn't want to be behind them!

The timing tower at Moroso Raceway in West Palm Beach used to have these cheesy plexiglass windows installed in it. Every year they got swapped out after the jet cars would run...
          You're gonna hear the angels sing...

Comment

• qikgts
            Head Fluffer
            • Jan 2012

Anyone know about the opposed piston engine? I had never heard of this layout before.

Last edited by qikgts; 01-13-2017, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
              Sometimes. And when I do, I take it right out to the storm drain, and dump it there.
              Well, it will actually improve your water quality. Maybe it will cut some of the lead levels...

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                Well, it will actually improve your water quality. Maybe it will cut some of the lead levels...
                Von Halen: Making Flint Great Again!
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by qikgts
                  Anyone know about the opposed piston engine? I had never heard of this layout before.
                  I was thinking like a "boxer" or Subaru engine but that's different.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• qikgts
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by twonabomber
                    I was thinking like a "boxer" or Subaru engine but that's different.
                    Totally different, right?

Comment

• cadaverdog
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Aug 2007

Totally different, right?
                      A boxer or horizontally opposed cylinder motor is not much different than a V motor other than the fact the cylinders on a boxer motor are 180 degrees apart (from side to side) as opposed to being approx 90 degrees apart on the V motors.
                      Beware of Dog

Comment

• qikgts
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jan 2012

A boxer or horizontally opposed cylinder motor is not much different than a V motor other than the fact the cylinders on a boxer motor are 180 degrees apart (from side to side) as opposed to being approx 90 degrees apart on the V motors.
                        My statement was rhetorical... I understand what a boxer engine is but thanks for clarifying as others may not. The engine I linked to has the piston tops facing each other and 2 crankshafts and no cam(s). If you haven't clicked the links check 'em out. I think it's neat stuff.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Aug 2007

My statement was rhetorical... I understand what a boxer engine is but thanks for clarifying as others may not. The engine I linked to has the piston tops facing each other and 2 crankshafts and no cam(s). If you haven't clicked the links check 'em out. I think it's neat stuff.
                          I did that last night. Very interesting indeed.
                          Beware of Dog

Comment

• cadaverdog
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Aug 2007

That'll teach ya! lol It's pretty cool when they bang the afterburners but like you said I wouldn't want to be behind them!
                            When I was a teenager we used to watch a lot of drag races at Orange County Raceway which was 20 miles or so south of the L A / Orange county line. For spectators to get to the pit area you had to walk through a fenced area like a dog run that ran from one side of the track to the other behind the staging area. When the jet cars ran they had to close it off because the flames from the jet cars would probably incinerate someone. Sad to say but that track was torn down in the early 80's. The only full length drag strip still open south of Bakersfield in California is in Pomona where they run the NHRA Finals. They had an 1/8th mile drag strip in the parking lot of Irwindale Speedway but they're tearing that down now to build another mall.
                            Beware of Dog

Comment

• qikgts
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Jan 2012

It's pretty sad that Pomona is going to be the only one left. When are they closing Irwindale?

I became a fan of the drags in the early '90's and living in South Florida there were never many tracks around. Moroso, which is now Palm Beach Intl' Raceway was one choice and the other was Miami-Hollywood Motorsports Park which closed in 1992. There was another really sketchy 1/8 mile that ran for a few years on an old touch and go airstrip called Countyline Dragway but that's now closed. They do run some 1/8 mile at Homestead Raceway but I've never been there. Even here in Central Florida where I live now it's slim pickings. Orlando Speedworld stays open with others closing and reopening in a constant cycle.

I haven't made a pass in almost 10 years (sold my car/trailer in 2010) but I have been out as a spectator to Orlando, another 1/8 mile called Immokalee Regional Raceway and was in Gainesville for the Gators. Hopefully I'll make it out again this year. I've been to a few other tracks; Sonoma and also Englishtown to see NHRA National Events.

I'd like to go to Z Max in Concord, NC and experience the 4 lane wide deal there.

Anyone else been to a NHRA National Event?

Comment

• cadaverdog
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Aug 2007

Last season was Irwindale's last season.
                                Beware of Dog

Comment

Working...