TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Fuck...Im getting old.

Comment

• Von Halen
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker

I don't know the exact release dates of any album, just the year, but I hope in two years time, if there's any of us left, someone who knows will start a thread that week to properly celebrate 30 years of the BEST album in hard rock music history.
      S L O W L Y put the bong down.

Comment

• Anonymous
        Banned
        • May 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
        S L O W L Y put the bong down.
        I don't smoke, I drink.

What's the best album in hard rock history for you, then?

I guess I should tell you I vastly prefer Dave solo over any Van Halen & EEAS, although not my favourite Dave album - that would be Your Filthy Little Mouth -, was truly a masterpiece & certainly the one that best represented his Diamond Dave persona.

Cheers!

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I don't smoke, I drink.

What's the best album in hard rock history for you, then?

I guess I should tell you I vastly prefer Dave solo over any Van Halen & EEAS, although not my favourite Dave album - that would be Your Filthy Little Mouth -, was truly a masterpiece & certainly the one that best represented his Diamond Dave persona.

Cheers!
          I like a little of the EEAS era stuff. Love "Ladies Night In Buffalo". Well, I did until I saw that video somebody posted above. I forgot how much worse Vai was on that stuff live, than he was in the studio. No soul. No stage presence. No persona. He looks like a fucking robot when the batteries are going dead on the remote control. I could go the rest of my life without hearing most of it again, though.

I like some of his solo songs. As far as an entire album, I'd have to say ALAE is my favorite from Dave's solo catalogue. He has a knack for covering songs, and making them better than the original. Even Vai was good on "Tobacco Road". Love Dave's version of "Soul Kitchen".

It's a shame you are of the age where the EEAS stuff was your introduction to Dave.

I often wonder who butchered the CVH stuff the worst. Clichegar's vocals, or Vai's guitar? They could probably make a fortune re-recording all their material the right way. The VH stuff without Clichegar and the EEAS stuff without Vai!

Comment

• Anonymous
            Banned
            • May 2004

I like a little of the EEAS era stuff. Love "Ladies Night In Buffalo". Well, I did until I saw that video somebody posted above. I forgot how much worse Vai was on that stuff live, than he was in the studio. No soul. No stage presence. No persona. He looks like a fucking robot when the batteries are going dead on the remote control. I could go the rest of my life without hearing most of it again, though.

I like some of his solo songs. As far as an entire album, I'd have to say ALAE is my favorite from Dave's solo catalogue. He has a knack for covering songs, and making them better than the original. Even Vai was good on "Tobacco Road". Love Dave's version of "Soul Kitchen".

It's a shame you are of the age where the EEAS stuff was your introduction to Dave.

I often wonder who butchered the CVH stuff the worst. Clichegar's vocals, or Vai's guitar? They could probably make a fortune re-recording all their material the right way. The VH stuff without Clichegar and the EEAS stuff without Vai!
            So your beef is with the live stuff? I get that, but I'm talking about the album, here.

And no, my introduction to Dave wasn't Eat 'em & Smile. It was actually Van Halen I & Fair Warning.

I won't say Dave solo is better than Van Halen, but I prefer it. A lot. While I do like Van Halen, I'm a Dave fan first. As for Van Hagar, it's not even that I don't like it, it's just that I have no interest in it whatsoever. Since here the Dave vs. Hagar thing wasn't a thing, I had no reason to pick sides & have actually listened to quite a few of the Van Hagar albums. Apart from "I Can't Stop Loving You", which is a good song & the intro to "Poundcake", I really cannot remember anything else from those albums. That's just how bland & uninteresting they are to me.

If it wasn't for Dave, I'd have no use for Van Halen.

And yeah, A Little Ain't Enough is EXCELLENT from beginning to end. It might be better than EEAS, but it's not as Diamond Dave as EEAS is, if you get what I'm saying.

Cheers

Comment

• Von Halen
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

So your beef is with the live stuff? I get that, but I'm talking about the album, here.
              No, my beef is equal with the live stuff, and studio stuff.

And yeah, A Little Ain't Enough is EXCELLENT from beginning to end. It might be better than EEAS, but it's not as Diamond Dave as EEAS is, if you get what I'm saying.
              I totally get what you're saying. "not as Diamond Dave as EEAS is", is exactly what's wrong with the EEAS era stuff, in my opinion. Dave was quickly becoming a parody of himself. Taking himself too seriously, while trying to prove he wasn't taking himself serious. To me, the EEAS stuff feels and sounds, like there is zero chemistry. It sounds like 3 solo guys trying to be in a band, with a drummer. The harmonies are fucking horrible. Dave harmonizing with himself, just doesn't cut it for me. I totally remember how disappointed I was the first time I heard "Yankee Rose". Every bit as disappointed as I was the first time I heard "Jump". Fortunately most of the rest of 1984 made me forget about that disappointment. The rest of EEAS did not do that for me.

Comment

• Anonymous
                Banned
                • May 2004

I totally get what you're saying. "not as Diamond Dave as EEAS is", is exactly what's wrong with the EEAS era stuff, in my opinion. Dave was quickly becoming a parody of himself. Taking himself too seriously, while trying to prove he wasn't taking himself serious. To me, the EEAS stuff feels and sounds, like there is zero chemistry. It sounds like 3 solo guys trying to be in a band, with a drummer. The harmonies are fucking horrible. Dave harmonizing with himself, just doesn't cut it for me. I totally remember how disappointed I was the first time I heard "Yankee Rose". Every bit as disappointed as I was the first time I heard "Jump". Fortunately most of the rest of 1984 made me forget about that disappointment. The rest of EEAS did not do that for me.
                I get what you're saying too. But it was, in fact, that over-the-topness that sold it to me.

The harmonies didn't bother me one bit, I absolutely love the cruisin' sound of "Ladies Nite in Buffalo?", the melodies in "Big Trouble", the bluesy sound of "Tobacco Road", the swing in "That's Life", the party attitude of "Goin' Crazy", etc...

That album is a perfect representation of everything that is grate about the idealized 80s. It's so 80s it hurts. Fuck, it's even sort of like a parody of the 80s in itself.

As a bonus, if you search for "Eat 'Em and Smile" using google.pt or google.es, you get the tracklist for Sonrisa Salavaje.

I guess since we see & understand each other's point of view, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Ball touch?

Cheers!

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Bozdey bozdie diddly ay, you asked for a party - I brought a parade!

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Anonymous
                    Banned
                    • May 2004

Waiddaminute, it just hit me.

We were discussing a David Lee Roth album.

There was actually a true, bona fide David Lee Roth related discussion right here at the Roth Army!

Wow, what a day! What a treat! We should mark this day in our calendars! Who knows when it will happen again? Probably never.

Cheers!

Comment

• Anonymous
                      Banned
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                      Bozdey bozdie diddly ay, you asked for a party - I brought a parade!

Are you implying something, Donnie?

Cheers!

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Are you implying something, Donnie?

Cheers!
                        Who knows. I don't even know why I post half the stuff I do. But how funny would it be to have that picture on the main page? Not that I would condone such nonsense.

Comment

• Anonymous
                          Banned
                          • May 2004

Well, Roth is in the picture & there's a whole army behind him... seems kosher to me.

Cheers!

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                            Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Gee that was subtle.

Oh dear.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
                              Gee that was subtle.
                              Oh you know I didn't mean it. But don't tell anybody.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

You put it on the interwebz... it must be true!! No backpeddling, Bud...

Remember this is the Serious New Roth Army... not the old house of shenanigans, coke and ho's Roth Army...
                                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...