X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by DONNIEP
    I still wanna know when Dave first started working these songs up with the band. Mikey has said that Dave was "rehearsing" with his new band before he quit Van Halen. And the time line kinda matches up, if you take into account that CBS pictures went tits up in October of '85.
    I seem to recall Mike saying something to that effect, but I figured it was just a remark he was robotically programmed to make once things started to go south. He slagged his pal Hags quite a bit along with the brothers in '96, and then, said he only did so to keep his job in the forward to Hags book. I call BS on Dave having the EEAS line up ready before he quit, but wtf do I know? I wasn't there.

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
      I seem to recall Mike saying something to that effect, but I figured it was just a remark he was robotically programmed to make once things started to go south. He slagged his pal Hags quite a bit along with the brothers in '96, and then, said he only did so to keep his job in the forward to Hags book. I call BS on Dave having the EEAS line up ready before he quit, but wtf do I know? I wasn't there.
      Nah, I'm not saying Dave had the full EEAS lineup up and running before he quite Van Halen. I've spent the past two hours scouring Mikey interviews and can't find it but it is out there and he did say that when they were working on the next record after 1984, Dave would come in, get all pissed off and leave and go to his house and work with his new band. Now, that could be speculation on Mikey's part. But...the movie deal fell through when CBS pictures closed in October '85. So it kinda fits that he might have been working on that music before he split from VH.

Not that any of this matters. It's just one of those things I wonder about.
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• DONNIEP
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

And maybe Mikey just meant a group of guys Dave was working with on the songs for the movie. Fuck it - let's call Mikey right now and get it straight from him. Sesh!! Get Mikey on the phone, pronto!

Comment

• ashstralia
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Feb 2004

I reckon Billy would be a more reliable witness...

Comment

• DONNIEP
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
            I reckon Billy would be a more reliable witness...
            Well call him up!

Comment

• ashstralia
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Feb 2004

I lost his # dude, you do it!!

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I still wanna know when Dave first started working these songs up with the band. Mikey has said that Dave was "rehearsing" with his new band before he quit Van Halen. And the time line kinda matches up, if you take into account that CBS pictures went tits up in October of '85.
                Sobolewski was probably drunk on Hagar's crap tequila when he said that, and what he really remembers was Dave recording the "Crazy From The Heat" EP before he quit the band.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

I left it in my other pants!

Comment

• DONNIEP
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                    Sobolewski was probably drunk on Hagar's crap tequila when he said that, and what he really remembers was Dave recording the "Crazy From The Heat" EP before he quit the band.
                    I had the same thought since the '84 tour ended in July of '84. But...that doesn't sync up with Dave's assertion that it was all ready to go and story boarded prior to CBS dumping their motion picture arm...

"The idea for the movie was basically a musical with a very left of center plot. There were a number of rewrites, but the general script for Crazy from the Heat was a story about Dave (and keep in mind all these characters are right out of California Girls).

Landed a 10 million dollar budget for the movie, and there was to be a couple million-dollar director's fee. It was a huge deal, especially since I was first time everything".

The entire album of Eat 'Em and Smile was designed to match up to the scenes for the movie that never came to be because, unbeknownst to us, CBS Pictures was in trouble. If I remember correctly, we were about four weeks away from the start date. We had a cast. We had everything made, all the costumes, et cetera. Every shot was storyboarded.

But CBS was changing hands, parts of it were being eliminated. The boiled the movie division, decided that they didn't want to be in the business anymore. There were some eight pictures I think that were green lighted and setting up to go, ours being one of them.

I sued CBS. I went to court, got the director's fee. Never did make the picture-- made semi-efforts at shopping it to a couple of other movie companies, but it was something that was born out of imagination and vision."

Comment

• katina
                      Commando
                      • Mar 2012

Ladies Night In Buffalo live

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Now, all of that, except for two sentences, could be pure Dave bullshit. But...it does kinda fit into my whole timeline.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Nah, I'm not saying Dave had the full EEAS lineup up and running before he quite Van Halen. I've spent the past two hours scouring Mikey interviews and can't find it but it is out there and he did say that when they were working on the next record after 1984, Dave would come in, get all pissed off and leave and go to his house and work with his new band. Now, that could be speculation on Mikey's part. But...the movie deal fell through when CBS pictures closed in October '85. So it kinda fits that he might have been working on that music before he split from VH.

Not that any of this matters. It's just one of those things I wonder about.
                          It's a no brainer. Once Ed had his own studio the band wasn't going to work anywhere else. Dave was pissed that he had to drive from Pasadena to Howdy Doody Mountain and now the creative process was on Ed's turf. That had to suck. Plus, the other three guys in the band were married and had families. Dave was still doing lines of coke off of stripper's asses and covering the local college cheerleading team in whipped creme naked on a Twister mat.
                          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Anonymous
                            Banned
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by BumBahDeeDah
                            Surprised and shocked is what I am. I guess work and regular life got in the way.This is the first album I think about when I think about summer music. It's been a very fast 28 years.
                            I guess the fans are so fed up with these guys, nobody cares anymore.

I don't know the exact release dates of any album, just the year, but I hope in two years time, if there's any of us left, someone who knows will start a thread that week to properly celebrate 30 years of the BEST album in hard rock music history.

There shall be week-long celebrations including drunken posts, no faggity politics arguing, pictures of pinups everywhere & possibly a little bit of ball touching.

Make it so.

Cheers!

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

If the band doesn't even care enough about their historic milestones... why the hell should the fans??

Maybe this anniversary isn't all that monumental... or maybe walking on eggshells is more prudent than reminding a couple of Dutch Pricks of something that they thoroughly hated. Roth has far more to lose by resurfacing this milestone...
                              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Well, he did resurface the EEAS era in the 2nd or 3rd episode of the Roth Show and that didn't keep VH from touring the globe. You know, Japan..... Australia.............. Oshkosh.

Comment

Working...