X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anonymous
    Banned
    • May 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    That's how they ruined the Rambo movies. In the original movie, First Blood, he was a genuine human being who had the same problems a lot of Vietnam vets did fitting back into "normal" society, and not helped by a brainless redneck sherriff pissing him off.

Then they turned him into some Reagan era right wing cartoon hero.
    I have to agree that First Blood was one helluva movie & Stallone's soliloquy near the end shows that he had the potential to be a genuinely good actor before being turned into a living cartoon character.

Rocky was also a very good movie. The sequels... some were passable. And each & every one of them completely unnecessary.

Comment

• Anonymous
      Banned
      • May 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      Like you I've been going through the 70s and 80s looking for good movies to share with kids so that at one point they were asking why films were so much better back then. I explained that wasn't really the case and that for every one I showed them there were 50 crappy ones they didn't need to see.
      I figure that as well, but it's just not the case any more. There simply isn't anything as memorable past the mid-90s.

It's the same with music. Nobody in the 70s gave a shit about Elvis Presley anymore. Elvis! Why? Because they had all these new bands to listen to! Same in the 80s - who gave a fuck about Black Sabbath or Deep Purple apart from other musicians? No one.

But these days, kids have to go back & listen to these old bands, because they have nothing else. After countless generations, old people are FINALLY right.

Things WERE better back then, at least when it comes to entertainment.

Comment

• Anonymous
        Banned
        • May 2004

Here's an exercise... name a movie that made as much of an impact as Jurassic Park, AFTER Jurassic Park.

I say it was the last big movie. It's been flavour of the week, or at best, month, ever since.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Jurassic Park was 1993 and was a big deal at the time.

Since then I could name you a lot of great movies but if you are talking about cultural massive rather than just great artistically then for a start you have all that shitty stuff I haven't even watched all of like Transformers and Avatar. Titanic was 1997 and super massive.

You have also forgotten the Harry Potter franchise, The Lord Of The Rings, Skyfall, Avengers movies and Pirates of the Caribbean. I've watched few of these but they have had a massive impact.

If you look at the top 20 box office movies, your Jurassic Park thing comes in at #19.

I think you may be talking shit...

Comment

• Anonymous
            Banned
            • May 2004

Jurassic Park was 1993 and was a big deal at the time.

Since then I could name you a lot of great movies but if you are talking about cultural massive rather than just great artistically then for a start you have all that shitty stuff I haven't even watched all of like Transformers and Avatar. Titanic was 1997 and super massive.

You have also forgotten the Harry Potter franchise, The Lord Of The Rings, Skyfall, Avengers movies and Pirates of the Caribbean. I've watched few of these but they have had a massive impact.

If you look at the top 20 box office movies, your Jurassic Park thing comes in at #19.

I think you may be talking shit...
            Well, most people still remember/know about Jurassic Park. I'm not saying it's my favourite movie, far from it.

Most of those other films you've mentioned have been forgotten by the masses, or will be in the near future. They had impact when they came out, yes, but it wasn't lasting impact - it was flavour of the week. Who the fuck remembers Harry Potter any more?

I will give you Pirates of the Caribbean. But just barely.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I fell asleep during the first Pirates film and apparently it was the best one.

I think you are maybe biased by age like all of us. I've never seen a Harry Potter film or read a book but I bet millions of that generation could quote you back the whole script.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
                Here's an exercise... name a movie that made as much of an impact as Jurassic Park, AFTER Jurassic Park.

I say it was the last big movie. It's been flavour of the week, or at best, month, ever since.
                Forrest Gump.
                Beware of Dog

Comment

• Grant
                  Sniper
                  • Feb 2005

What about Shawshank Redemption or Pulp Fiction, in 1994-95.

As for Titanic, I cannot get over the fact that the American Film Institute in revising it's '100 Greatest Films of All Time' list in 2007 bothered to put that nauseating one in there!!

Comment

• vandeleur
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Sep 2009

You lost me at exercise
                    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• vandeleur
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Sep 2009

I throw in iron man , it kind of started the marvel money machine. Avengers , Thor , ant man. Etc
                      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Anonymous
                        Banned
                        • May 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
                        Forrest Gump.
                        Originally posted by Grant
                        What about Shawshank Redemption or Pulp Fiction, in 1994-95.

As for Titanic, I cannot get over the fact that the American Film Institute in revising it's '100 Greatest Films of All Time' list in 2007 bothered to put that nauseating one in there!!
                        My bad. I thought those three came out before Jurassic Park.

Apparently I should do my research better, or just do it, before I pull "facts" out of my ass.

It's STILL the mid-90s, so I guess I didn't make a *complete* fool of myself.

Comment

• Anonymous
                          Banned
                          • May 2004

I fell asleep during the first Pirates film and apparently it was the best one.

I think you are maybe biased by age like all of us. I've never seen a Harry Potter film or read a book but I bet millions of that generation could quote you back the whole script.
                          It has nothing to do with being the best one. Blade Runner apparently sucked when it came out.

What I was trying to get at, is a movie that was huge, or at least successful when it came out AND made its way into the collective conscience afterwards.

Listen, I love Lord of the Rings, for fuck's sake. I read the books long ago, I even have a lifetime account on Lord of the Rings Online. I remember quite vividly when the movies came out. It was a big deal, but they have since faded away from memory.

Now, before Philouze calls me Vanessa again, my point is that it's more likely for Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction and/or Jurassic Park to come up in conversation than Titanic, Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.

And of course I'm biased by age. I *try* not to be, but it's unavoidable. All our perceptions are based on our impressions, and the older we get, teh least impressionable we are.

I still stand by my point that after the mid-90s, culture & entertainment went to shit & Kurt Cobain is to blame for all of it.

Comment

• Anonymous
                            Banned
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
                            I throw in iron man , it kind of started the marvel money machine. Avengers , Thor , ant man. Etc
                            Fads. Flavour of the week films.

Nobody remembers Iron Man any more. The Marvel Money Machine, as you so aptly named it, will run its course and be forgotten.

Just like the series & movies of the late 60s/early 70s. The difference being, the old stuff was so bad it had some charm. These are just huge corporate advertisements.

Maybe 30 years from now, nerds & geeks all over the world will unearth these movies again & wax nostalgic, but most people won't give a fuck.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Most of this thread seems to be more about your short term memory problems than movies.

Did you know that apparently the latest Jurassic film made more money than the original?

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Did you know that apparently the latest Jurassic film made more money than the original?
                                Yeah hippie, it's called CGI.

Comment

Working...