Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By Booking Donald Trump, ‘SNL’ Looks Like the Biggest Loser

By Booking Donald Trump, ‘SNL’ Looks Like the Biggest Loser

“Saturday Night Live’s” ability to remain a relevant source of comedy and satire over 40 years is an understandable source of pride. Yet the determination to skate along that edge occasionally means skidding over it, as the NBC late-night staple has done with this weekend’s booking of Donald Trump as guest host.

Trump, who has invited no shortage of controversies, can hardly be blamed for this one, taking advantage of such a high-profile platform while mounting a presidential campaign. Politicians – and especially conservative ones – have long used late-night TV to show off their lighter sides, proving they can have a sense of humor about themselves.

No, for all Trump’s talk about the U.S. becoming Greece, the hubris here belongs with “SNL” and its patriarch, Lorne Michaels, having opened a Pandora’s box from a public relations and simple fairness standpoint that won’t be offset by ratings, however huge they might be. The myopia goes beyond Trump’s immigration stance – which has angered many in the Latino community and prompted protests – to the question of showcasing him this way in the thick of a hotly contested primary race.

See Moreonald Trump’s ‘SNL’ Appearance Continues to Incite Protesters

Featuring the Republican front-runner in many polls as host is more problematic than Hillary Clinton’s recent cameo, or even allowing Al Sharpton to host when he was running for president in 2003. Both can be second-guessed, but Clinton’s turn was relatively brief, and Sharpton had little chance of becoming the nominee — a case of “SNL” using him at least as much as the other way around. In more pragmatic terms, that dozen-year gap – in the context of the real-time furor that can be unleashed via social media – almost feels like a lifetime ago.

The pitfalls associated with tapping Trump, by contrast, have surfaced early and often, from questions about whether his appearance triggers equal-time rules for other candidates to the matter of why NBC Entertainment would publicly sever ties with him on “The Apprentice” and Miss Universe/Miss USA pageants during the summer, only to hop back into bed with him. Then there was this week’s flare-up over a video clip in which he mocked Ben Carson, previewing the problems associated with Trump potential using his perch to ridicule rivals, even in jest.

It’s simply hard to imagine the show’s brain trust being so out of touch as to not recognize the can of worms they were opening — and not incidentally, flinging at the feet of “SNL” and NBC’s beleaguered PR staff. And the time to debate the propriety of that would have been before Trump was booked, since dropping him afterward would have rightly looked (to Trump supporters in particular, and conservatives eager to find signs of media bias in general) like a craven act of caving in to criticism.

The irony is that when “SNL” books someone like Trump – who isn’t formally an entertainer – his or her footprint within the show is usually somewhat mitigated. It’s not like they can comfortably work him into as many sketches as they would someone with established comedy and/or acting chops, like Amy Schumer or Alec Baldwin.

As noted, the hullabaloo that surrounds all things Trump, coupled with morbid curiosity, will likely yield a significant ratings boost. Yet while the temptation will be to bask in the glory of those numbers, NBC and “SNL” come away from this misguided affair looking like the biggest losers.

I haven't seen SNL in many years and tbh most of the clips I have seen come across as very over rated at least to a foreigner but I get it's place in the comedy pantheon and all the great people that have come out of this show over the years.

Since it is scripted in advance this has to be a horrible idea unless they have worked out a way to rip him him to bits without him even realizing which given his immense ego is possible. If that isn't the case and it goes as I suspect it may then they should cancel SNL afterwards and never look back...

Comment

Originally posted by Seshmeister View Post
      I haven't seen SNL in many years and tbh most of the clips I have seen come across as very over rated at least to a foreigner but I get it's place in the comedy pantheon and all the great people that have come out of this show over the years.

Since it is scripted in advance this has to be a horrible idea unless they have worked out a way to rip him him to bits without him even realizing which given his immense ego is possible. If that isn't the case and it goes as I suspect it may then they should cancel SNL afterwards and never look back...
      This reporter or whatever he calls himself is so biased against Trump he's deaf, dumb and blind. NBC and SNL have plenty of good reasons to have Mr Trump host. First off NBC has been seen as a channel for liberals only for many years. They should change their name to NBL. Nothing But Liberals. They are the anti Fox of old. SNL has been a totally liberal show forever. By booking Trump to host SNL both entities looks less biased and might actually pick up a few viewers in the process. As far as the illegals go they don't watch SNL anyway. They watch Sabado Gigante on Saturday nights. If SNL and NBC does this right they might actually bring SNL back from the dead. Everyone's gonna want to watch just to see if they try to piss Trump off enough to walk off the show. He might end up showing he has a good sense of humor and is a lot more normal than he sometime's appears.
      Beware of Dog

Comment

Comedy should always be about punching up not down.

Always.

He's not normal.

Comment

I have a feeling you see The United States through the eyes of a totally biased liberal media. They seem to show the worst side of everything that happens here so they can point their fingers at someone they don't see eye to eye with and blame everything on them. A few years ago voters in California passed bills for denying illegals free services and some judge came along and ruled it was unconstitutional and that was that. Even in a liberal state like Cali people don't think illegals should be rewarded for breaking the law. A few years ago we got rid of our liberal governor and picked a conservative governor to take his place. Arnold Swarzenegger. Passed a law against gay marriage too. another liberal judge ruled that unconstitutional too. Trump has a better chance of winning this election than the media wants you to believe. Here in the south the guy's practically a shoe in if he doesn't do or say anything extremely stupid before election day.
          Beware of Dog

Comment

Comedy should always be about punching up not down.

Always.

He's not normal.
            I think that lost something in the translation. Trump's normal. He's a normal extremely rich guy who rarely answers to anyone. He saw what he thinks without worrying about what someone else thinks about it.
            Beware of Dog

Comment

Wow Sesh posting something and didn't frame it.

FORD is still a Nazi though.

Comment

Yeah, I'm a regular goddamned soup Nazi.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Originally posted by FORD View Post
                  And a blasphemer. Better watch your ass. The next mudslide up there might have your name on it.
                  Last edited by cadaverdog; 11-06-2015, 02:38 AM.
                  Beware of Dog

Comment

Well, I have friends both upstairs and downstairs, so I got that covered either way

Also, I live on top of a hill, not under one, so a mud slide ain't likely to get me.

Now if we ever get that 9.0 earthquake though..... I'm probably fucked, in this old house.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

No soup for you!
                      "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

Dog, you just don't get it. Illegals who jump the border should get free everything. It's the same reason no one has doors on their houses anymore - they all took them off so people can just walk in and take all the stuff they want. It's called charity or something like that.
                        American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

Originally posted by DONNIEP View Post
                          Dog, you just don't get it. Illegals who jump the border should get free everything. It's the same reason no one has doors on their houses anymore - they all took them off so people can just walk in and take all the stuff they want. It's called charity or something like that.
                          I simply do not understand why illegals can get so much. Totally baffling...
                          "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Angel View Post
                            I simply do not understand why illegals can get so much. Totally baffling...
                            They actually can't. Most of it is just right wing mythological bullshit. Bottom line is they come here looking for work, and cheap bastards are all too willing to hire them, most of them paying cash under the table so its all off books. You can get paid under the table without a Social Security number, but you can't apply for any government services, or get a "legal job" (where taxes are withheld from the paycheck) without one.

If they went after the cheap labor employers, it would be a lot more effective than trying to round up all the immigrants.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

They actually can't. Most of it is just right wing mythological bullshit. Bottom line is they come here looking for work, and cheap bastards are all too willing to hire them, most of them paying cash under the table so its all off books. You can get paid under the table without a Social Security number, but you can't apply for any government services, or get a "legal job" (where taxes are withheld from the paycheck) without one.

If they went after the cheap labor employers, it would be a lot more effective than trying to round up all the immigrants.
                              You have no idea what you're talking about. In Cali anyone that shows up at a county hospital or clinic gets treated in the emergency room or urgent care without having to show proof of citizenship or even a valid ID. And they don't have too difficult of a time finding a social security number that can use to get legitimate jobs either. Some government services are denied to them but not many. If they have kids after they get here the kids are automatically citizens and can sponsor their parents for citizenship once they reach the age of 21. There's a big difference between what illegals can get away with way up north where Ford's from and what they can get away with in California, especially Southern California. When I was driving a truck picking up and delivering parts to machine shops and metal stamping business the majority of employees in most of the companies I dealt with were illegals. Everyone but the drivers and managers where I worked were illegals. Some of the illegals that got amnesty last time that gave it in Cali are business owners themselves now. Who do they hire? More illegals. One of these days liberals like Ford are going to open their eyes and notice there's more of them than us now but it will be way to late to do anything about it. It's already a done deal in So Cal.
                              Beware of Dog

Comment

Working...
                              X