X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silverfish
    Foot Soldier
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
    ... you really could care less about the ...
    couldn't care less. As in "I couldn't care less about your stupid grammar lesson."

Sorry, pet peeve.
    Originally posted by sadaist
    I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Von Halen
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Terry
      And for at least that first Roth reunion tour, those backing vocals were augmented by offstage audio enhancements. I was there, and there's no way just Wolfgang and Eddie were sounding as good live as the studio albums where the backing vocals were concerned.
      So, the fat Wolf boy was recently shooting off his big mouth about bands using backing tracks. The FACT is, and if you were around here at all back then, I am sure I posted it here somewhere, that VH was using backing tracks. I got to sit in for the closed soundcheck at The Palace of Auburn Hills on the 2007 tour. I was a guest of Doug's. Doug was the the sound man running the show. He's the guy Darren talks about in his book, they all called him a number, because Dave went through so many sound guys they called them by number instead of by their name. Doug lasted the longest.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by silverfish
        couldn't care less. As in "I couldn't care less about your stupid grammar lesson."

Sorry, pet peeve.
        S’ol good, man. However, I was implying that, once you get to his age, he can (“could” in original sentence) care less about things if he so chooses.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen
          So, the fat Wolf boy was recently shooting off his big mouth about bands using backing tracks. The FACT is, and if you were around here at all back then, I am sure I posted it here somewhere, that VH was using backing tracks. I got to sit in for the closed soundcheck at The Palace of Auburn Hills on the 2007 tour.
          Just backing vocals and keys of I'll Wait and Jump though?

And we believe he was singing backing vocals on the later tour(s).

I would guess on the first tour they may have had a bass backing track ready to fade in just in case he froze as well. Would have been a sensible thing to do considering.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
            I suppose I’m wrong, God dammit. One thing that I thought tracked with the vocals being from earlier sessions is Dave’s use of 1-800 in both Blood And Fire and The Trouble With Never. He used that 1-800 gimmick during interviews in the early ‘00s. Same with “whole lotta Shakespeare going on.” I became convinced they used older vocal efforts on tape for at least a few tunes.
            Those are good points re: the 1-800 and Shakespeare references. Hadn't thought about that with reference to those lyrical lines, and it would lead one to the conclusion that the tracks had possibly been recorded in the early 2000's, or at least some of the lines had been.

I mean, I'm just going off what that Meyer guy said he heard. Who the heck knows? The Van Halen line for years had been that there was nothing recorded in terms of outtakes for the CVH albums that was either worth hearing or in a condition audio-wise to be heard properly, and we eventually find out THAT was bullshit, so who knows? It comes across to my ears like the ADKOT lead vocal stuff was all done in however many sessions in the year-long period leading up to the 2012 release of the album.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Von Halen
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              Just backing vocals and keys of I'll Wait and Jump though?

And we believe he was singing backing vocals on the later tour(s).

I would guess on the first tour they may have had a bass backing track ready to fade in just in case he froze as well. Would have been a sensible thing to do considering.
              I didn't get a track by track listing. I was just told there were backing tracks being used. I believe the fat Wolf boy was singing the whole time. But backing vocals were being played too. After all, he did sing lead on every song at the soundcheck. And they soundchecked the whole show in it's entirety. He wasn't bad on the lead vocals, but it didn't sound like Van Halen vocally. No slag on him for that. He's not Dave and doesn't sing like Dave. Nor did he attempt to. He just sang the songs.

Comment

• Rikk
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

EVERYTHING recorded for A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH were new recordings. They did NOT use any of the 2000 demos. It was all done new. I've got this from a few sources.

Also, I'm not sure about BLOOD & FIRE being one of the four new songs. I heard YOU & YOUR BLUES, THE TROUBLE WITH NEVER, either HONEYBABYSWEETIEDOLL or AS IS...and the fourth track was the music from UP FOR BREAKFAST with a completely different vocal, lyric and title, HOMEBOY.

I've heard the story about Dave only doing an unfinished scratch vocal (because he didn't want to be fucked over the way he was with the two BEST OF tracks before a reunion was in place)...but I've also heard from a couple of sources that the 2000 tracks are finished from beginning to end, but, again, just scratch vocals. Mikey says he has them...and he said they're "just demos" but he didn't say they're not a full performance. But...maybe Dave did only do a partial vocal?

Either way, I believe the UP FOR BREAKFAST source...and it's a shame...because the music from that song is actually good. It was just (like almost all of the Hagar stuff) a case of the vocals ruining it and turning it into a complete piece of shit song. (Hagar loved to brag in his book that Ed took months to record the guitars and guitar solos for the three songs but he did all his vocals in one afternoon or something. It shows, Sammy. It definitely shows.)

But NOTHING from the 2000 sessions was on A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH. Dave hadn't even finished writing the lyrics...and he did his vocals away from the rest of the band in a different studio for that album. He wasn't about to take shit from anyone after the really stressful vocal sessions he'd dealt with in 1996. (The band needed him as much as he needed them by 2012...actually, they needed him in 1996; they just didn't know it yet.)
                Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

I didn't get a track by track listing. I was just told there were backing tracks being used. I believe the fat Wolf boy was singing the whole time. But backing vocals were being played too. After all, he did sing lead on every song at the soundcheck. And they soundchecked the whole show in it's entirety. He wasn't bad on the lead vocals, but it didn't sound like Van Halen vocally. No slag on him for that. He's not Dave and doesn't sing like Dave. Nor did he attempt to. He just sang the songs.
                  I have a ton of boots from the 2012 tour (Blu-Rays) and I have a few from the 2007 tour.

I 100% believe what Von is saying about the backing tracks being played in addition during 2007-2008. I think they stopped doing that by 2012...because on that tour, the backing vocals suddenly sound like shit. It's jarring if you compare I'LL WAIT from 2007-2008 to I'LL WAIT in 2012. BIG difference. The "high part" is missing. It's just Eddie & Wolfgang doing lower harmonies...and it sounds like shit.

I'm so sick of people on the internet talking about Fatty Mc5150 being such a good singer. He isn't. He has that "abused/neo-metal/grunge" vocal style...and NOT a big vocal range. (I'm a vocalist...I can tell you that the dude doesn't sound like he's even singing properly...he sounds like he's singing from the throat and not from the stomach.)

I read someone on YouTube say the other day that Wolfgang is "almost as good a guitarist as his dad." THAT is insane. People are so stupid. The fact that people actually think this dude even approaches his guitar-playing goes to show how far the Wolfgang-simpdom is going.
                  Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Rikk
                    I'm a vocalist...I can tell you that the dude doesn't sound like he's even singing properly...he sounds like he's singing from the throat and not from the stomach.
                    I was a singer back in the day. Best discovery I ever made was singing in the head voice. Expands the range without strain. Kind of a hybrid between chest voice and falsetto. I spent a good 6 years over doing it with throat singing. Mix that with competing with the stage volume of the rest of the band, shitty wedge floor monitors and sound guys who don’t give a shit, and you’ve got a recipe for disaster.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

I have a ton of boots from the 2012 tour (Blu-Rays) and I have a few from the 2007 tour.

I 100% believe what Von is saying about the backing tracks being played in addition during 2007-2008. I think they stopped doing that by 2012...because on that tour, the backing vocals suddenly sound like shit. It's jarring if you compare I'LL WAIT from 2007-2008 to I'LL WAIT in 2012. BIG difference. The "high part" is missing. It's just Eddie & Wolfgang doing lower harmonies...and it sounds like shit.

I'm so sick of people on the internet talking about Fatty Mc5150 being such a good singer. He isn't. He has that "abused/neo-metal/grunge" vocal style...and NOT a big vocal range. (I'm a vocalist...I can tell you that the dude doesn't sound like he's even singing properly...he sounds like he's singing from the throat and not from the stomach.)

I read someone on YouTube say the other day that Wolfgang is "almost as good a guitarist as his dad." THAT is insane. People are so stupid. The fact that people actually think this dude even approaches his guitar-playing goes to show how far the Wolfgang-simpdom is going.
                      I saw shows from both the 2007-2008 and 2012 tours - both times in the same arena - and did notice in 2012 that the backing vocals didn't seem to be as full or augmented as they had been in 2008.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who has noticed how overblown at times the compliments online toward Wolfgang are re: "Wolfgang is as good a guitar player as his father was!" and that type of hyperbole.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Von Halen
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Terry

I'm glad I'm not the only person who has noticed how overblown at times the compliments online toward Wolfgang are re: "Wolfgang is as good a guitar player as his father was!" and that type of hyperbole.
                        The fat Wolf boy has never and will never, write a tune on the guitar that approaches anything as genius as his father. The day that motherfucker writes something like "In A Simple Rhyme" or "Panama" or "The Full Bug" or any one of a bunch of other examples, is the day I fall over dead. That fat fuck has ZERO originality. His dad had all originality.

I wish this fat Wolf fuck would just explode already. Like the guys head in the movie Scanners. Only his fat fuck gut, not his big fat head.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

EVERYTHING recorded for A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH were new recordings. They did NOT use any of the 2000 demos. It was all done new…

But NOTHING from the 2000 sessions was on A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH.
                          One more time, but with feeling. lol.

Ok, I yield. But I also think Shanks stripped classic Dave howls and screams from back in the day and supplanted them in the songs.

Right before, “heroes aren’t born, they’re cornered” in Chinatown, there’s a vintage “whooahh!” with different ambient echo than the rest of the track. It almost sounds like it was from Oakland ‘81.

Also, just before the solo to She’s The Woman, there’s a powerful, long scream with a younger Dave voice.

There are a few others, but I’d have to give it a good listening to pick them out. Been a while since I’ve given the whole of ADKOT a spin.

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

I wish this fat Wolf fuck would just explode already. Like the guys head in the movie Scanners. Only his fat fuck gut, not his big fat head.

He'd be like that Mr. Creosote from Monty Python's THE MEANING OF LIFE!!!

Remember that scene in which one "wafer-thin mint" is just too much and he explodes all over the restaurant??

That's Wolfie in 5 years!!
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

It’s hard to sing from the diaphragm when it’s covered in flab. Oh well. It’s full steam ahead to heart disease and diabetes.
                              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Rikk
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                                It’s hard to sing from the diaphragm when it’s covered in flab. Oh well. It’s full steam ahead to heart disease and diabetes.
                                There's no way (at his weight) that he doesn't already have early heart disease. His arteries must be a nightmare.
                                Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...