X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
    You have to be retarded to NOT like Led Zeppelin.....
    I wouldn't go as far as saying retarded, because you have to realize that some people (like me) thought their first album was little more than a rip-off of the Jeff Beck Group. Of course, they got much better over the years, but there are folks that will still hold that (along with the group's smugness and general lack of concern for their audience, two traits that Van Halen has unfortunately inherited) against them.

It's inevitable that blues purists would bristle at the band's heavy-handed takes on the medium, which certainly lacked a great deal of subtlety at times. The thing is, Zep knew when to hold back. Look at Beck, Bogert & Appice. The clods in that rhythm section had zero clue as to when to lay off, and their version of "Superstition" (along with their various blues numbers live) proves it. Rather than attempting a cool funk groove, they positively flattened the damned song. Yeah, there is a place for bombast, but not on every song in your catalogue.

So people might tend to think of Zep as an overblown group, as all they hear is the heaviness. And Plant and company could be a bit acrobatic and overwrought occasionally. That coupled with the highly questionable personal habits of most of it's members, and it's relatively easy to see why some people tend to dismiss the band, if not outright loathe them.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 04-25-2011, 11:44 AM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

You have to be retarded to NOT like Led Zeppelin.
      Really? I don't know how some can be so um non-retarded and listen to that plagiarized swill. Or, maybe, it's a guy thing in that males seem to have this weird homoerotic fixation on Jimmy Page. Either way, I could care less. Zeppelin was for most part unlistenable (no, not unleded, unlistenable) and I've stated reasons before as to why. Zeppelin was more of a formula than a band. But hey, if you like them. Great.

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Oct 2004

I'd go for the incredibly ironically titled "Never Mind The Bollocks" and also anything Axl has put his name to 1990 onwards.

Though, most of the time if I can at least see what the album is trying to do, I'll just let it lie if I don't like it. Cos, like, who died and made me king of music? So, as long as it comes from the right place, I can at least respect it (with a few notable exceptions, obviously)
        Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Matt White
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
          Really? I don't know how some can be so um non-retarded and listen to that plagiarized swill. Or, maybe, it's a guy thing in that males seem to have this weird homoerotic fixation on Jimmy Page. Either way, I could care less. Zeppelin was for most part unlistenable (no, not unleded, unlistenable) and I've stated reasons before as to why. Zeppelin was more of a formula than a band. But hey, if you like them. Great.
          I can see the occasional illegitimate female child of either Page or Plant having such a deep-seated hatered for the band...understandable

Legions of female listeners have enjoyed ZEPPELIN's use of "light & shade" over their career

As stated before, JIMMY PAGE is widely recognized as the "Wagner" of rock...he has no equal in writing epic riffs and compositions...

I can understand the occasional "I don't like them"....because there will always be the "tone" deaf & those who just "don't get it".....

but the "worst" and "swill"? Really...

Comment

• Matt White
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
            I'd go for the incredibly ironically titled "Never Mind The Bollocks" and also anything Axl has put his name to 1990 onwards.

Though, most of the time if I can at least see what the album is trying to do, I'll just let it lie if I don't like it. Cos, like, who died and made me king of music? So, as long as it comes from the right place, I can at least respect it (with a few notable exceptions, obviously)
            Yup.....Chinese Democracy? TERRIBLE

Comment

• Matt White
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
              I wouldn't go as far as saying retarded...
              son thought

If a person thought they were "the worst"....I'm thinking mouth-breather....

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                • Jan 2004

Yup.....Chinese Democracy? TERRIBLE
                Bet Axl is thankful SOMEONE took the time to listen to it LOL!
                sigpic

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

Shut up, loser....

Comment

• Matt White
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Steve Savicki
                    Bet Axl is thankful SOMEONE took the time to listen to it LOL!
                    HA!!!

I remember hearing one song...once...on the radio, on a long road trip....the chorus sounded like Titany Spears........AWFULL!!!

Comment

• jacksmar
                      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe
                      Echo & the Bunnymen Crocodiles
                      John Travolta Travolta Fever
                      A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

As stated before, JIMMY PAGE is widely recognized as the "Wagner" of rock...he has no equal in writing epic riffs and compositions...
                        Thieves don't need equals just fools who believe their shit.

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by jacksmar
                          Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe
                          Yikes, I got a copy of that for free at a radio station promotion and I still felt ripped-off.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Kristy
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

This latest one from Interpol may be the biggest pile of shit I've heard in quite some time. I'm trying to like it, I really am.

Comment

Working...