The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Etienne
    Commando
    • Aug 2010

I'm ready! Like the brand new song...

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
      ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Just got tattoo.WOW.What are you guys talking about when you say it aint what i was expecting.That song has FUNK
      I really love you baby, I love what you've got
      Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• BALLYJUNKIE
        Head Fluffer
        • Nov 2004

is the 1st lyrics of the song " ive got elvis on my elbow " ?

Comment

• tjvhou812
          Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

i cant stop playing this shit. anybody that says this songs sucks is a fucking dildo
          Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Comment

• BALLYJUNKIE
            Head Fluffer
            • Nov 2004

swapmeet sally ?

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Little Texan
              Look at all the hater Spammy sheep comments on the video. Aw, poor widdle sheep ain't got their red rocked tampon screeching his cheesy lyrics all this song.
              Yeah, some of those comments are pathetic. I replied "Fuck Sammy Hagar" to one of those idiots.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Little Texan
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by tjvhou812
                i cant stop playing this shit. anybody that says this songs sucks is a fucking dildo
                Look at all the hater dildos' comments on the video at youtube...gotta be Hagar sheep from the Links posting those derogatory comments.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
                  russell at 2.20. gold.
                  He needs to herd up the sheep at the YouTube site.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Little Texan
                    Look at all the hater dildos' comments on the video at youtube...gotta be Hagar sheep from the Links posting those derogatory comments.
                    Most of the comments at Links seem positive, actually. Except for one jackass having a complete meltdown over the video.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Little Texan
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

How could anyone with a good sense of hearing and good taste in music not like this song?

Comment

• DlocRoth
                        ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Upon further review....

This jam is =heavy=

how many folks are a smilin?
                        Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• glimmer1984
                          Roth Army Recruit
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by BALLYJUNKIE
                          is the 1st lyrics of the song " ive got elvis on my elbow " ?
                          Yes, it's exactly that...

Comment

• Little Texan
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                            Most of the comments at Links seem positive, actually. Except for one jackass having a complete meltdown over the video.
                            I wouldn't know since I haven't posted there on a regular basis since 2000. My username is actually still Big Trouble '77 over there!

I'm surprised there are positive comments about it there, as there always seemed to be a very anti-Dave vibe at Links.

Comment

• vandeleur
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Sep 2009

Fucking love it , its catchy and it rocks .....think evh brought his game and daves lyrics are cooler the more you hear them ......... bring on the album
                              fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• if6was9
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Mar 2007

This is my first ever song review, so it may be chaotic. I didn’t want to be influenced by other fans opinions so I stopped reading this thread on page 12. Forgive me if something has been already written here. Fist of all, this is not another CVH track and not even an imitation. It sounds more like ZZ Top (groove) meets Robert Palmer (keyboards). So it’s something completely different from the 6-pack but still very familiar.

The main difference is the lack of guitar riff. It’s Dave who provides kind of a “vocal riff” all the time, like on EEAS and Skyscraper, when he couldn’t count on good riffs from Steve (who isn’t a great rhythm guitarist). I think this is the biggest change in VH and probably that’s why the track sounds a bit like solo Dave. We’ll have to wait for the full album to find out if Eddie can still come up with decent riffs.

Now similarities. There are numerous quotations from CVH songs, for example “Hear About it Later” (so very autobiographic) and “You’re No Good” (outro). I think this was absolutely intentional, to satisfy old fans and revive some old time vibes.

The track initially sounds like a smooth and mellow song. Maybe it’s because of drums, which are pretty low in the mix. But when you start listening to Al, the track becomes more and more powerful each second. The guy is unbelievable here. Bass is solid, it sounds almost as low as Mike’s and it’s fuzzed so it sounds different, but I really don’t mind.

But the best thing about “Tattoo” is how lyrical this song is. And I’m not talking about the lyrics. It’s Eddie’s solo and unreal outro that added another layer to this track (as someone has mentioned before), giving it completely different perspective in the second part. The guys sound older, wiser, more experienced and I think it isn’t a bad thing at all.
                                Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

Working...