The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Catfish
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

After 28 years of waiting, I can't believe this song did not let me down one bit. It's fun, they didn't overdo it by trying too hard, has DLR doing his thing, and an Eddie solo like a truck roaring down a mountain. It completely surpassed my expectations.

I was expecting complete mediocrity--triple layered guitars, shitty background vocals, Dave wailing away too much, Alex banging on everything he could reach... none of that happened. So maybe I think it's so outstanding because my expectations were so low. After the third listen I felt tears of rock joy!!!!

Dave should have taken his shirt off in the video--that bastard is ripped! But he would have made that porker Wolfgang (call me Chaz Bono) look bad!

I think my only criticism of the song is before the second chorus I could have used a traditional WOW! from Dave instead of the more subdued WHOO. But I guess it's in the spirit of not trying too hard.

This song made my day, week and year (OK, counting 2011, too). I DL'd it this morning and would have paid $15 for it. Catfish is very happy.

Comment

• lesfunk
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I posted my impression over at Talkbass.com. I will get flamed for sure. I didn't know so many sheep played bass. Oh well, It's getting mostly trounced over there. You'd think MA was Dr. Martin Luther King, Ghandi and Elvis to those dudes. LOL
      http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• BumBahDeeDah
        Head Fluffer
        • Mar 2004

Id like to be the first to make a lame joke about Van Halen writing a song about, or not having clips of the little guy from Fantasy Island in the video, but I'm probably not.

Comment

• JJtheVagPounder
          Head Fluffer
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by K-tuna
          Also, I really don't need Dave to tell me about the Unions ( their purpose is fine but their leadership are thugs and bullies ) and his politics. ( BTW---this verse wasn't in the preview or else I would've brought it up then and to be fair , I don't wanna hear any musicians, writers, sports figures or actors politics--- I listen to music to get away from that crap).
          I very much agree with you on celebrities using their status as a pedestal to give their opinion. It’s why I never got into Rage. It’s why I think Sean Penn, while a great actor, is a total douche bagger. However, I don’t think Dave is saying “UNIONS ARE AWESOME!” Pretty sure he’s just telling the stories behind tattoos (and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t have a union tat).

Comment

• K-tuna
            Groupie
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by SunisinuS
            Calm Down and read. Re-read it again. He is telling a Story about someone else, not him. If you don't like Artists to mention imagined situations, please, do not ever participate in Art again.

Here just sing this: "My Uncle Tuna Had a tatoo...it said I love Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity too!" Problem Solved for you. Or like Sadaist said, make up your own Tatoo story there, like a gang one

We Golden?

Stay Frosty!

Ah a supreme douchebag of the highest order. I see.

Thats why you got your lady parts in wad. Continue to suck on the teets of mediocrity and stupidity and I'll engage in more mature conversation elsewhere.
            "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• Jagermeister
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by Catfish
              After 28 years of waiting, I can't believe this song did not let me down one bit. It's fun, they didn't overdo it by trying too hard, has DLR doing his thing, and an Eddie solo like a truck roaring down a mountain. It completely surpassed my expectations.

I was expecting complete mediocrity--triple layered guitars, shitty background vocals, Dave wailing away too much, Alex banging on everything he could reach... none of that happened. So maybe I think it's so outstanding because my expectations were so low. After the third listen I felt tears of rock joy!!!!

Dave should have taken his shirt off in the video--that bastard is ripped! But he would have made that porker Wolfgang (call me Chaz Bono) look bad!

I think my only criticism of the song is before the second chorus I could have used a traditional WOW! from Dave instead of the more subdued WHOO. But I guess it's in the spirit of not trying too hard.

This song made my day, week and year (OK, counting 2011, too). I DL'd it this morning and would have paid $15 for it. Catfish is very happy.
              Chaz Bono?

That's below the belt, even for you.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

racist even...

Comment

• So this is love
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by BumBahDeeDah
                  Id like to be the first to make a lame joke about Van Halen writing a song about, or not having clips of the little guy from Fantasy Island in the video, but I'm probably not.
                  lol its all part of the marketing scheme...vh fans are fantasy island fans
                  Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• K-tuna
                    Groupie
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by JJtheVagPounder
                    I very much agree with you on celebrities using their status as a pedestal to give their opinion. It’s why I never got into Rage. It’s why I think Sean Penn, while a great actor, is a total douche bagger. However, I don’t think Dave is saying “UNIONS ARE AWESOME!” Pretty sure he’s just telling the stories behind tattoos (and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t have a union tat).

Unlike what @dickinhisSINUSES' would have you believe, I get that, but dave wouldn't have made that in there if he wasn't making a point...he could have chosen a dozen other things. ...But You got the broader point even if that point was a small part of a larger critique.
                    Last edited by K-tuna; 01-10-2012, 02:51 PM.
                    "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• if6was9
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                      After reading the lyrics posted by Golden Awe I have this to say. Dave may really meant that as he was a paramedic in NYC. Most likely a strong union group.
                      I thought exactly the same. Dave may be rich but he's not afraid to work like an average Joe. And he probably knows what he's talking about in this Uncle Danny verse.
                      Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

• VHscraps
                        Veteran
                        • Jul 2009

Love it. Listened to it about 10+ times, on computer and through hi-fi at full blast.

But here's the weird thing - just heard it being played on the radio, and Al's distinctive snare 'tonk' comes through more than it did on the big speakers and on the computer!

And it sounds mighty impressive in the middle of all the other stuff they are playing - leaps out as dirty groove thang.

Dave is back.
                        THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Jagermeister
                          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by K-tuna
                          Unlike what @dickinhisSINUSUES would have you believe, I get that, but dave wouldn't have made that in there if he wasn't making a point...he could have chosen a dozen other things. ...But You got the broader point .
                          Ok what's going on here? It usually takes a new guy at least 100 posts before they start doing the old "screw with your username" trick.
                          Last edited by Jagermeister; 01-10-2012, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                            racist even...

EELLVVIISS!!!!

Good to see you man.
                            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

As far as negativity goes, I read the funniest comment on one news site reporting on Tattoo.

I say funniest because it was such an absurd comment.

"Complete rip-off of Down in Flames. Pathetic."

LMAO!!!

I don't know where to begin with that one. I mean, if that is the case then Ed has been ripping himself off since 1978.

But wait a minute, shouldn't Tattoo be ripoff of You're No Good?? LOL!

Or maybe that was a ripoff of a Linda Ronstadt song.

lol lol lol lol
                              Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 01-10-2012, 02:49 PM.
                              =V V=
                              ole No.1 The finest
                              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• ELVIS
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by sadaist
                                EELLVVIISS!!!!

Good to see you man.
                                Check out my ass-kissin' thread in main...

Comment

Working...