X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by hideyoursheep
    EVEN with MA, you might need a head doctor.
    At least with Anthony it could possibly sound a bit more like the same band...

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
      At least with Anthony it could possibly sound a bit more like the same band...
      Ain't that the truth...

Plus the live show, stage presentation would have been 100% real in yo face Van Halen. Which most people seem to conviently forget or write off...

Yeah Dave was the Toast-Master General and carried the big show on stage... but like the 3 Stooges... Mo was nothing without Curly & Larry!! Wolfie didn't even fill the shoes like a half-assed Shemp... or even Curly Joe...

What you got was one-foot-in-the-grave proud daddy/grandpa stage right... 60% Diamond Dave and a box of rocks, bored teenager stage left with a piped in music crutch to keep junior honest.

If Mad Anthony was there... the music, the energy and debatchery on stage would have been 200X over the Geratol and Junior Bullshit we all paid good money for...
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• davehagarfan
        Head Fluffer
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by hideyoursheep
        No, EEAS wasn't VH, but at the time, neither was VH. Between the 2 it's a no-brainer. EEAS wins. So does ALAE. As does DLR band, which IMO is BETTER than anything out of Club Ed with Chubby Cheddar serving the Spam n crackers.

If you think for a second that this latest hook up is going to produce anything similar to where they left off 24 years ago, EVEN with MA, you might need a head doctor.

ALAE has some good songs but it's a rather piss poor effort considering all the hype it got at the time. There is plenty of filler on that one. The shows I've seen on YouTube on fairly underwhelming too. It just goes to show that Dave needs a VH or a Vai/Billy team backing him. Getting Ray, James and Brian was a step up from Dave's abyssmal showings between 1991-1994. I have a tough time choosing who was more underwhelming at the time.....Dave or F.U.C.K era Van Hagar.

EEAS would have been a slam dunk had Dave not let The Tug loose on the keys and let him douche all over the CVH material........that's just as bad as Sped going up to Spam's house and giving Ched an hour and a half blow job in order to get him to join the band just to spite Dave because Sped knew Dave hated him.

No one really comes out looking all that good in this abortion, Ed and Dave especially.

I have no delusions.....unlike alot of special kids around here....that VH will be able to release some stroke of genius material. VH is all about nostalgia at this point so much so that I wouldn't give a shit about new material even if Mike was there because it's been way to fucking long. Dave and Sped blew any real chances of having a viable second shot years ago. I would just like to see Mike there on the stage to pick up the slack since there is alot of it going around between Sped and Wolf & Cheese. If Sped still playing like he was 25 then maybe I could swallow his bullshit ego trip and delusions of granduer but he quit delivering the goods years ago.

He essentially capped off his career with the Gary Cherone tour.......what a sad way to end things. Rocky Balboa did a more commendable job fighting Clubber Lang the first time then Sped does playing guitar these days.

Comment

• ZahZoo
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by davehagarfan
          I have no delusions.....unlike alot of special kids around here....

Dude... gotta call bullshit on that steamin pile...
          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• davehagarfan
            Head Fluffer
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by ZahZoo
            Dude... gotta call bullshit on that steamin pile...

Go for it...what am I delusional on when it comes to CVH?

That I think if any member of CVH that shouldn't be there it's Sped.....I think he's the "weak link" and a prick for all of the bullshit he's spewed out the last 30 years? You saw both the 2004 and 2007 tours, correct? Taking those two events into cuntsideration am I really all that delusional on the subject? The only thing Sped is good for these days is his marquee name and the fumes he's been coasting on of his past, faded glories....am I wrong?

Maybe it's a bit radical of a thought but we've already been force fed Hagar, Cherbone and now Sped's kid into the band.....the mockery has already been made...honestly I'm surprised we haven't seen a tour with just the two sisters and Wolfincheeseburgers....obviously Sped is smarter than I give him credit for since he's always kept a 3/4 in the lineup.....he's good....I will admit.....it's too bad his guitar playing isn't as good as his manipulating abilities these days.

Comment

• davehagarfan
              Head Fluffer
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Imapus_Sylicker
              Yes, but at least Dave HAS a solo career. AND he put together at least two GRATE bands, not counting Van Halen.

Spam? Nada. Zero.

And by the way, I like Dave's solo career better than Van Halen, I don't care about sales numbers, or any shit like that.

How many fans would Spam have, if not for Dave and Van Halen? 3? More than I have, yeah, but still...

Cheers! :bottle:

Dave has a solo career? Dave HAD a solo career in the 80s it got shot to shit in 1991 with the departure of Vai

You like Dave's solo career better than CVH? And people say I'm a complete jackass, idiot

If not for Dave and VH? It was little old Sped that came a knockin' on Spam's door in 1985 not the other way around. Spam may not have been outselling Paul McCartney but he released some solid material for Geffen and was doing good business.....certainly better than Ted Nugent's numbers at the time.

Eric Clapton certainly had nothing to worry about when it came to Spam's solo career but then again, Clapton had nothing to worry about when it came to Roth's solo career either.

Dave put together atleast two great bands? EEAS was a great band though Greg Bissonette made Mike Anthony look like Jack Bruce......but that band got diluted with each passing album and tour until it was a complete parody of itself by 1991

I won't be a complete dick and discuss in depth 1994, The Mambo Slammers and Dave's brief Vegas stint

1999 brought a nice return to form for Dave......but after his Vegas stint 1991 would have seemed like a nice return...... however I tend to prefer Ray, James and Brian. Bert Walsh and that bass player from that gay ass band Hardline just didn't do it for me. They were "good" but they weren't "great"

Brian, James and Ray....now they were "great!"

EEAS....correction...Vai and Billy were GREAT....Bissonette and Tuggle....not so much.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                Veteran
                • Jun 2005

It's not like they took Europe by storm every tour from 1978 to 1984. They didn't go back for a couple years after the first tour and they were playing clubs and theaters on that tour. I think alot of that had to do with Ed and Al being dumbasses and a little lazy. I've read several times where Al would cry about it being "pay to play" over there. America was more lucrative and less work for them because they had established themselves. If they would have hit that shit with Dave from 1978 to 1984 their world wide record sales would be alot more then they are. Which I think they are hovering somewhere around 70 million but it might be as low as 50 million. I can't remember the exact number. It's definitely alot less then Bon Jovi, Metallica and alot of other bands.

They played under AC/DC in 1984 over in Europe. They didn't work Europe like they should have back then. Ray Danniels had nothing to do with that.
                I think opening for AC/DC is on a different sight plane with opening for Bon Jovi. Or maybe its just me....
                RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Mr Walker
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

Dave has a solo career? Dave HAD a solo career in the 80s it got shot to shit in 1991 with the departure of Vai

You like Dave's solo career better than CVH? And people say I'm a complete jackass, idiot

If not for Dave and VH? It was little old Sped that came a knockin' on Spam's door in 1985 not the other way around. Spam may not have been outselling Paul McCartney but he released some solid material for Geffen and was doing good business.....certainly better than Ted Nugent's numbers at the time.

Eric Clapton certainly had nothing to worry about when it came to Spam's solo career but then again, Clapton had nothing to worry about when it came to Roth's solo career either.

Dave put together atleast two great bands? EEAS was a great band though Greg Bissonette made Mike Anthony look like Jack Bruce......but that band got diluted with each passing album and tour until it was a complete parody of itself by 1991

I won't be a complete dick and discuss in depth 1994, The Mambo Slammers and Dave's brief Vegas stint

1999 brought a nice return to form for Dave......but after his Vegas stint 1991 would have seemed like a nice return...... however I tend to prefer Ray, James and Brian. Bert Walsh and that bass player from that gay ass band Hardline just didn't do it for me. They were "good" but they weren't "great"

Brian, James and Ray....now they were "great!"

EEAS....correction...Vai and Billy were GREAT....Bissonette and Tuggle....not so much.

What the fuck bro?
                  Where's the love for Rocket Ritchotte?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

ALAE has some good songs but it's a rather piss poor effort considering all the hype it got at the time. There is plenty of filler on that one. The shows I've seen on YouTube on fairly underwhelming too. It just goes to show that Dave needs a VH or a Vai/Billy team backing him. Getting Ray, James and Brian was a step up from Dave's abyssmal showings between 1991-1994. I have a tough time choosing who was more underwhelming at the time.....Dave or F.U.C.K era Van Hagar.

EEAS would have been a slam dunk had Dave not let The Tug loose on the keys and let him douche all over the CVH material........that's just as bad as Sped going up to Spam's house and giving Ched an hour and a half blow job in order to get him to join the band just to spite Dave because Sped knew Dave hated him.

No one really comes out looking all that good in this abortion, Ed and Dave especially.

I have no delusions.....unlike alot of special kids around here....that VH will be able to release some stroke of genius material. VH is all about nostalgia at this point so much so that I wouldn't give a shit about new material even if Mike was there because it's been way to fucking long. Dave and Sped blew any real chances of having a viable second shot years ago. I would just like to see Mike there on the stage to pick up the slack since there is alot of it going around between Sped and Wolf & Cheese. If Sped still playing like he was 25 then maybe I could swallow his bullshit ego trip and delusions of granduer but he quit delivering the goods years ago.

He essentially capped off his career with the Gary Cherone tour.......what a sad way to end things. Rocky Balboa did a more commendable job fighting Clubber Lang the first time then Sped does playing guitar these days.
                    Apart from the tediousness of being lectured in depth to by someone that has never even seen Van Halen in concert or as I remember even a Roth solo show, I had forgotten about these stupid fucking nicknames you give all the people involved. Sped, Cheese and Spam and Ched and fuck knows what else.

It's like having to listen to some dumb 12 year old kids arguing about Pokemon and very quickly I'm sure I'm not alone in just switching off the noise and skipping over your posts.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Cato
                      Sammy Hagar is a local singer of the USA after all, unlike Dave.
                      He has no popularity in other countries at all. that's why he can't sell more records than Dave and can't go overseas to play alone.

good thread.
                      This is very true. I wouldn't be surprised if solo Roth outsold Van Hagar outside the US.

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

That is true...

I sometimes forget about that sort of thing...

I remember Yngwie doing pretty good in Japan and several other places and I saw him here at an auditorium with nobody even close to the stage, so...

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

I saw Dave play at a club in New Orleans supporting ALAE and I was standing on the same floor he was. MAYBE there were 100 people there. I met him and shook his hand...

Comment

• Panamark
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Dave solo sold out the same arena in Melbourne Australia twice over,
                            within months of a touring Van Hagar who couldnt fill it once...

At that time, Dave (At least in Australia) was a way more popular
                            live draw than Van Hagar...

If you want more specifics I shall get them for you.
                            BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

What year you talking about ??

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Jan 2007

ALAE has some good songs but it's a rather piss poor effort considering all the hype it got at the time.
                                Hype? Sorry, I totally missed any "hype".

But then again, you listen to Bon Jovi.

And you like it.

I think we're done for today.

Comment

Working...