Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

It never ceases to amaze me how drastically different (and better) Dave sounds in the Tokyo shows.

I know that getting rested helps, but it also seems like he just paid more attention to the details in Japan.

I wish he would have done that more often here in the states.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by RedZoneD25
      I guess after a night to sit on it, the only thing that pisses me off is that they waited until 2013 to finally realize how valuable a live recording would be with Dave. Then not only that, but it's JUST audio. That's pretty unacceptable in today's market as both a consumer and fan. I get that they willingly let cameras into the shows, but there's still something to be said for pro-grade HD cameras and legitimate audio.

Not to mention the potential extras, like the process of recording ADKOT or preparing for a tour that makes being an invested fan of anything more worthwhile to spend money on.

Fair warning: I'm 24. Never got to see these guys in their primes and 2006-2007 was the first time this band existed (Hagar doesn't count) for more than weeks since I was six years old, but I can only live with what I was dealt. I carry the VH torch with pride into a generation of millennial Katy Perry sheep that wouldn't know tape echo or a flanger from their asscrack.

A show from the 2007 tour, despite not having any new music or albums, would have been easily better. Dave in 2007 sounded like Van Halen's David Lee Roth, the same guy I was beyond envious that my father got to see back in the early 80s multiple times. He still oozed cool. Not only that, but it sounded damn near album perfect in the show I got to see.

Going to the ADKOT Philly gig and seeing that same legendary presence donned with a Britney Spears headset mic, along with a painfully-throaty, treble-heavy vocal range, it's just...I'm not sure that's the Van Halen I want remembered in the annals of time.

Maybe I just had a bad show, but the whole show felt more like it was being mailed in opposed to aiming to blow the roof off. For those who weren't as lucky as myself to have a father who willingly showed me what Van Halen is all about, my friends and their friends will hear that -- while it kicks the shit out of anything else out today, it's still not VAN F'ing HALEN.

It's for all of the above whining that the re-re-mastered original six, despite being heard thousands of times over by all on here in various qualities, are infinitely more exciting to me than hearing a show from the era that made me honestly wonder "maybe it's time for the guys to hang it up for real this time".
      Excellent take. I was at the Philly show as well and parts of it were brutal.

As an aside, it's refreshing to see a 24 year old who not only appreciates the music, but can express themselves articulately.

Well done young man.
      fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
        It never ceases to amaze me how drastically different (and better) Dave sounds in the Tokyo shows.

I know that getting rested helps, but it also seems like he just paid more attention to the details in Japan.

Well, it's obvious to me, in retrospect now of course, that they knew they were recording that night, and so Dave is doing much less yelping and staying in his normal register....
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Fairwrning
          Ill admit this is very kick ass
          I'm sorry, I don't consider that "kick ass".

I do however consider this kick ass.

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
          It will be so nice to have a pristine audio of this. How aren't you going to catch this live when they roll into town exactly?
          Why would anyone want pristine audio of that? Why would anyone want VH to waste their time with that, when they could give us pristine audio and video of the REAL VAN HALEN?! Hey, maybe on the official release, they'll pipe in Mike's harmonies, like they did in 2007.

How could I not catch that live? Easily. I might go to one show if I can meet up with a bunch of people from here again. But to be honest, I'll be going more to see my Roth Army friends, than I will be going to see the type of show they are giving us these days.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
            Well, it's obvious to me, in retrospect now of course, that they knew they were recording that night, and so Dave is doing much less yelping and staying in his normal register....
            Precisely.

Which proves that Dave CAN sound good on a consistent basis, so why not do it? Treat EVERY show like it's being recorded and give the fans what they want. It's a win-win....the fans are happy and Dave's voice doesn't get so shredded.

Does he really think that the incessant yelping and straining is what we want to hear? The tour was a constant roller coaster of good shows and marginal shows....until they got to Japan where they put on what was arguably their BEST shows.

I love the guys, but they can fuck themselves if they want us to lay out more $$$ to hear an ADKOT show the way it SHOULD HAVE sounded after we all paid premium ticket prices to see it live and in person.

Knowing that Dave had the better sound in him the whole time but he saved it for the live DVD recording shows pisses me off. Again...it's all water under the bridge at this point but it still stings.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
              ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Von Halen
              I'm sorry, I don't consider that "kick ass".

I do however consider this kick ass.

Why would anyone want pristine audio of that? Why would anyone want VH to waste their time with that, when they could give us pristine audio and video of the REAL VAN HALEN?! Hey, maybe on the official release, they'll pipe in Mike's harmonies, like they did in 2007.

How could I not catch that live? Easily. I might go to one show if I can meet up with a bunch of people from here again. But to be honest, I'll be going more to see my Roth Army friends, than I will be going to see the type of show they are giving us these days.
              Cool. Maybe you have better entertainment options than I do? I just went to an NHL game and the beer was necessary based on quality of play and they were $16 each. All things being equal, a Van Halen show is still a priority for me.

I see other concerts and frankly, the Van Halen shows still are among the best or the best for me. They released a really good effort with ADKOT and they get panned for releasing old material.

For everyone of us praising them, there would be 10 panning them for not being "relevant" if they released 1981 era shows lets say. More has to be more released...its insane, but releasing a live recording for the Japan show and lots of here are reacting like the cds we bought self destructed so we have to buy the re-issues. Don't buy them. I don't think its possible for Van Halen to make anyone happy. See you at the show Von!
              Last edited by Romeo Delight; 02-09-2015, 12:27 PM.
              sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Fairwrning
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

I do have the pro stock rodeo coming to town soon...

My concert days are about over..I got to see VH 3 times in their heyday and twice with Wolf...I dont think I would go even if MA came back..other than if a group from here were to see a show somewhat close by..
                My last show was Pearl Jam in Cville 2013..3 hours of not knowing whats getting played next..a band that somewhat appreciates its fans...these guys played 16 fuckin songs just in the 2 encores..and it was 80 bucks compared to 175...

Comment

• Calderone
                  Commando
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by fryingdutchman

And what you think of this one ?

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Calderone
                    And what you think of this one ?

I cannot fucking believe they'd sit down and listen to that and go "Hey, I've got a great idea. Let's put out a live album of that!!"

Comment

• Calderone
                      Commando
                      • Jan 2004

Yes, im scratching my head over that, and over Dave, why in the world he does this thing ? He swears is better ?
                      It seems he is enjoying while doing it, this new vocal acrobatics, it's beyond explanation. In fact is harder on his voice to sing
                      like that, he needs to stick to the 2007 style. I Really hope it's a fake and no album comes as is , untouched.

Comment

• qikgts
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jan 2012

I'll take this one instead, please...

You're gonna hear the angels sing...

Comment

• Von Halen
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by qikgts
                          Me too.

It is fucking laughable to me, that anyone would think ANY Van Halen fan, casual or hardcore, would complain about getting a show from that era released. An album or DVD of the real Van Halen would outsell that Tokyo Dome garbage by at LEAST a 10-1 margin.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                            I do have the pro stock rodeo coming to town soon...

My concert days are about over..I got to see VH 3 times in their heyday and twice with Wolf...I dont think I would go even if MA came back..other than if a group from here were to see a show somewhat close by..
                            My last show was Pearl Jam in Cville 2013..3 hours of not knowing whats getting played next..a band that somewhat appreciates its fans...these guys played 16 fuckin songs just in the 2 encores..and it was 80 bucks compared to 175...
                            I saw Pearl Jam on the last tour. I have everyone of their albums as well. It was ok. I actually left early. I think Pearl Jam is more of a smaller venue act. Will probably see every show they do later in the careers...say the 5000 seat amphitheatre setup.
                            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by RedZoneD25
                              I guess after a night to sit on it, the only thing that pisses me off is that they waited until 2013 to finally realize how valuable a live recording would be with Dave. Then not only that, but it's JUST audio. That's pretty unacceptable in today's market as both a consumer and fan. I get that they willingly let cameras into the shows, but there's still something to be said for pro-grade HD cameras and legitimate audio.

Not to mention the potential extras, like the process of recording ADKOT or preparing for a tour that makes being an invested fan of anything more worthwhile to spend money on.

Fair warning: I'm 24. Never got to see these guys in their primes and 2006-2007 was the first time this band existed (Hagar doesn't count) for more than weeks since I was six years old, but I can only live with what I was dealt. I carry the VH torch with pride into a generation of millennial Katy Perry sheep that wouldn't know tape echo or a flanger from their asscrack.

A show from the 2007 tour, despite not having any new music or albums, would have been easily better. Dave in 2007 sounded like Van Halen's David Lee Roth, the same guy I was beyond envious that my father got to see back in the early 80s multiple times. He still oozed cool. Not only that, but it sounded damn near album perfect in the show I got to see.

Going to the ADKOT Philly gig and seeing that same legendary presence donned with a Britney Spears headset mic, along with a painfully-throaty, treble-heavy vocal range, it's just...I'm not sure that's the Van Halen I want remembered in the annals of time.

Maybe I just had a bad show, but the whole show felt more like it was being mailed in opposed to aiming to blow the roof off. For those who weren't as lucky as myself to have a father who willingly showed me what Van Halen is all about, my friends and their friends will hear that -- while it kicks the shit out of anything else out today, it's still not VAN F'ing HALEN.

It's for all of the above whining that the re-re-mastered original six, despite being heard thousands of times over by all on here in various qualities, are infinitely more exciting to me than hearing a show from the era that made me honestly wonder "maybe it's time for the guys to hang it up for real this time".
                              Ummm.... Nailed it !!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by qikgts
                                Yea, I'm glad I have Hammersmith 1978. A band killing it and taking over the world ! But to them this is going to be the definitive live VH album in their words. Give us a break !

Comment

Working...