Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Florio is a blowhard with a capital "B", and keep reading, you'll see why, but here is his column....

Van Halen emerges as first source of Super Bowl halftime speculation

Posted by Mike Florio on June 13, 2012, 9:29 AM EDT

The NFL could be poised to continue its recent habit of hiring aging rock/pop stars to provide the entertainment during the extended intermission at the Super Bowl.

Other than the glorified karaoke entourage known as the Black Eyed Peas in early 2011, the post-wardrobe malfunction halftime shows have featured acts who have been alive for all of the past Super Bowls, and then some.

Thanks to a reader who actually read all of a new article regarding an upcoming Van Halen reunion tour, band founder Eddie Van Halen has dropped what could be a hint that the group will be in New Orleans in early February for something other than the Jambalaya.

“[I]n November, we’ll hit Japan, and in the new year, we’ll possibly do something special, but I can’t talk about it,” Van Halen tells Marco R. della Cava of USA Today.

I’ve yet to come up with all the “special” things a rock group can do that would require extreme discretion (although in some states that list could be longer than in others), but playing at the Super Bowl would be at or near the top.

The good news is that the hiring of Van Halen’s 21-year-old son, Wolfgang, as the bass player drives the average age of the band down, a bit. The bad news is that David Lee Roth is still the lead singer.

And in honor of certain current events in the NFL, perhaps they can debut a modified version of one of their former lead singer’s hits: I Can’t Drive 55 . . . Sober.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
      Without David Lee Roth, Eddie would have been just another George Lynch, Vito Bratta, Jake E Lee, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Tony MacAlpine, Marty Friedman, and hundreds of others type. All great guitarists but not rock legends & household names.

It aint Van Halen without Eddie, but it aint legendary without Diamond Dave.
      Damn Straight!!
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

It's just too easy for us here to not fully trust Eddies motives. Yes he is doing everything right the last 5 years. Doesn't mean we trust him with the keys to the safe yet. No matter how much you domesticate a pit bull you still don't ever trust them 100% with the baby.
        My pitbull has always been an absolute angel around my 2 babies. Never distrusted him for a nano second.

Comment

• mug
          Head Fluffer
          • Mar 2005

[QUOTE=chi-town324;1662476]wonder what the payday is for the SB ?[/QUOTeRob THE WHO said you don't get paid you make in sales of itunes and what ever else. Shit i heard Petty's sales spiked
          200 % after the show. So who would'nt what do it.If sir Paul will do it. Bruce, Madonna, Prince, VH is a lock.. Panama,Dtna,yrgm,jump is networks set. My set would be Jump, Panama, atbl, sgad.

Comment

• sadaist
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
            My pitbull has always been an absolute angel around my 2 babies. Never distrusted him for a nano second.
            I wasn't trying to slam pitbulls. But I just would never leave any dog alone with a baby. Always that part in the back of your mind of "what if". What if the baby pokes the dog in the eye and the dog snaps back out of instinct? No need to tell me how loving your pups are. I know. Had 2 big bruisers myself that wouldn't hurt a fly. (a 3 legged overweight blind cottontail bunny hopping through the yard? Absolutely, just not a fly)

Basically I truly believe if Eddie thought he could get away with the fans by having another singer that he would. I love him, but I don't trust him. I base that solely and totally off of past performance. I throw my faith in to him and enjoy these last 5 years to the fullest. Not letting my distrust ruin anything. But if the day comes where Dave is "kicked out" I won't be overly shocked. I don't think any of us will. Disappointed, sad, angry, homicidal, suicidal to be sure....just not shocked.

Anyone wanna snort some bath salts & eat face?
            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• jhale667
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
              The good news is that the hiring of Van Halen’s 21-year-old son, Wolfgang, as the bass player drives the average age of the band down, a bit. The bad news is that David Lee Roth is still the lead singer.

Dear Mike Florio: Please die in a fire. :dafinger:
              Originally posted by conmee
              If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
              Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
              I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
              Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
              Originally posted by eddie78
              I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Satan
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                Super Bowl ??
                Obviously there's been a new "Van Halen at the Super Bowl" rumor every goddamned year since 1996, but now more than ever it actually seems plausible.

One thing is for certain... after 2 consecutive lip-syncing cheesefests (Black Eyed Autotuners and Madonna) there's going to be some demand for some actual musicians in the Super Bowl halftime again. They spoiled us with that streak the previous decade... McCartney, U2, The Stones, Tom Petty, The Boss, Prince, etc. (don't remember the exact order there... the memory ain't what it used to be after 45,000 years). Granted that Daltrey/Townsend show was a huge bummer (I refuse to call that travesty "The Who") but that's no reason to stop inviting rock bands altogether. Van Halen would be a great way to restore some credibility to the halftime show.

Which is probably why it won't happen.
                Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Basically I truly believe if Eddie thought he could get away with the fans by having another singer that he would. I love him, but I don't trust him. I base that solely and totally off of past performance. I throw my faith in to him and enjoy these last 5 years to the fullest. Not letting my distrust ruin anything. But if the day comes where Dave is "kicked out" I won't be overly shocked. I don't think any of us will. Disappointed, sad, angry, homicidal, suicidal to be sure....just not shocked.
                  Speak it brother!!! That right there is the hard truth. And everybody can deny it if they want to...but IF the day ever comes that Dave is no longer in the band you'll see Ed giving interviews about how his newest version of the band is the best that there ever was, the one and only true Van Halen.
                  American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• jhale667
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Anyone wanna snort some bath salts & eat face?
                    WAY ahead of you. I've already snorted a whole box of Mr. Bubble this morning. Now the real problem is figuring out WHICH of my co-workers faces to eat...
                    Originally posted by conmee
                    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                    Originally posted by eddie78
                    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I wasn't trying to slam pitbulls. But I just would never leave any dog alone with a baby.
                      No, I know you weren't and you're right. You shouldn't.

Comment

• Satan
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nigel
                        When Ed says "taking Dave in small doses", there's always a bit of truth to a flippant comment.

Why doesn't he say, "Dave IS the singer for this band, now and for the future"
                        Because this is Van Halen, not Devo!

Comment

• golitely
                          Roadie
                          • Nov 2011

Do they even pick SB acts this far in advance?
                          What other big events are coming up? No Olympics, no World's Cup

Maybe they are going to kick DLR out of the band in favor of Wolfie's GF who is kinda, sorta almost like a VH.

Comment

• nitroDave23
                            Roadie
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ToraToraTora
                            So Wolf finds DLR/VH albums and say's this is the best stuff ever, AND he loves AC/DC, this kid has got taste!
                            Damn straight!

I thought that was cool for Eddie to give AC/DC a shout out, (another one of my favorite bands),

Super Bowl could be what they're hinting at, or maybe a live DVD/album soon? (Possibly a boxset)

Comment

• vanshipman
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Apr 2004

Maybe Eddies gonna replace StevenTyler as a judge on American Idol? Joking...I'm hoping for another studio/live recording. Possibly cuts from the last session and best of tour tracks. WOOO HOOOO!!!

Comment

• Satan
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by golitely
                                Do they even pick SB acts this far in advance?
                                What other big events are coming up? No Olympics, no World's Cup

Maybe they are going to kick DLR out of the band in favor of Wolfie's GF who is kinda, sorta almost like a VH.
                                Well, there was an Olympics rumor a while back, when the news came out that Alex's son Aric was competing in Olympic trials. I haven't followed the story, so I'm not sure whether or not Aric is going to be in London or not. But if he was, and the family was going to be there to cheer him on, then why the Hell not perform there while they're at it?

Of course that rumor snowballed into a whole thing about playing summer festivals in Europe, and all of those are probably booked well in advance anyway. And you know what they say about snowballs chances where I come from.

Comment

Working...