• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Fidel Castro: Obama 'misinterpreted' Raul's words

By WILL WEISSERT, Associated Press Writer Will Weissert, Associated Press Writer – 48 mins ago

HAVANA – Fidel Castro says President Barack Obama "misinterpreted" his brother Raul's remarks regarding the United States and bristled at the suggestion that Cuba should free political prisoners or cut taxes on remittances from abroad as a goodwill gesture to the U.S.

Raul Castro touched off a whirlwind of speculation last week that the U.S. and Cuba could be headed toward a thaw in nearly a half-century of chilly relations. The speculation began when the Cuban president said leaders would be willing to sit down with their U.S. counterparts and discuss "everything," including human rights, freedom of the press and expression, and political prisoners on the island.

Obama responded at the Summit of the Americas by saying Washington seeks a new beginning with Cuba, but he also said Sunday that Cuba should release some political prisoners and reduce official taxes on remittances sent to the island from the U.S.

That appeared to enrage Fidel Castro, 82, who wrote in an essay posted on a government Web site that Obama "without a doubt misinterpreted Raul's declarations."

The former president appeared to be throwing a dose of cold water on growing expectations for improved bilateral relations — suggesting Obama had no right to dare suggest that Cuba make even small concessions. He also seemed to suggest too much was being made of Raul's comments about discussing "everything" with U.S. authorities.

"Affirming that the president of Cuba is ready to discuss any topic with the president of the United States expresses that he's not afraid to broach any subject," Fidel Castro wrote of his 77-year-old brother, who succeeded him as president 14 months ago.

"It's a sign of bravery and confidence in the principles of the revolution," he said, referring to the rebel uprising that toppled dictator Fulgencio Batista and brought the Castros to power on New Year's Day 1959.

"Nobody should assume that he was talking about pardoning those sentenced in March 2003 and sending all of them to the United States, if the country were willing to liberate the five Cuban anti-terrorist heroes," Castro wrote.

He was referring to 75 leading political opposition leaders who were rounded up and imprisoned six years ago. Some 54 of them remain behind bars, though Raul Castro suggested last year that Cuba would be willing to liberate some political prisoners if U.S. authorities would free five Cuban spies.

Castro compared the prisoners arrested in 2003 to exiles who attacked the island's southern coast during the disastrous Bay of Pigs invasion in 1961 and said they were "at the service of a foreign power that threatens and blockades our country," referring to charges they conspired with Washington to destabilize the communist system.

The ex-president had previously expressed his admiration for Obama, but this time Castro blasted the new U.S. president for showing signs of "superficiality."

He also defended Cuba's right to levy a 10 percent fee on every U.S. dollar sent to relatives on the island by Cuban-Americans, saying if the money arriving from abroad "is in dollars, all the more reason we should do it because it is the currency of the country that blockades us."

All top Cuban leaders routinely call the 47-year-old trade embargo against this country a blockade.

"Not all Cubans have family members overseas that send remittances," Castro said, adding that Cuba uses the revenue from fees on exchanging dollars to provide free health care, education and subsidized food to all of its population.

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

My favorite piece of this....

"Obama said Sunday that Cuba should reduce official taxes on remittances sent to the island from the U.S."

Obama calling for someone else to lower their taxes? ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I thought this thread was about Obama misconstruing Rual Paul's words...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by sadaist

"Obama said Sunday that Cuba should reduce official taxes on remittances sent to the island from the U.S."

You mean like he did on the middle classes?

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Now Nick, you don't want to spoil Sadie's right wing fairy tales. Mush and BecKKK have him convinced that he's in the top 1% just like they are.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Like Nick and FORD pointed out, where exactly is the hypocricy that's causing this laughter fit you're in?

Yes or no. Has Obama called for tax reductions for a MAJORITY of Americans?

Simple question.

Then you can go back to your ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unbelievable
            Originally posted by Kristy
            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
            Originally posted by cadaverdog
            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

It's just getting old at this point, with online partisan "conservatives" being just like talking dolls with pull-chords making them say the same old talking-points cliche spam...

Comment

• kwame k
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                It's just getting old at this point, with online partisan "conservatives" being just like talking dolls with pull-chords making them say the same old talking-points cliche spam...

My God, it's going back to the old Tax and Spend Democrats mantra.

Yet, no one is saying how much their taxes have gone up?
                Originally posted by vandeleur
                E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  I thought this thread was about Obama misconstruing .... words...
                  It is and it isn't. You have fallen victim to the media spin as I'm sure most people reading this story will. Obama did not "misinterpret" or "misconstrue" Castros words...the media did. It clearly states what each leader said, and neither of them said anything remotely close to what the media hyped all week and that eventually made Fidel upset. The media took a relatively innocent exchange of statements and ran with headlines & stories of how now that Obama is in charge, everything with everyone is going to be ok, just look at Cuba! 50 years and now Obama is the one who is going to finally make things good with Cuba. Raul Castro respects Obama so much he will do this & that to work with him and make things right.

Don't get me wrong here, Obama handled this beginning dialect with Cuba perfectly. I'm not blaming him one bit and think he may be on the right track as far as our relations go with Cuba. I'm blaming the media for misreporting this story from the start and blaming Obama for "misinterpreting" now that Fidel is throwing it back in their faces.

As for the tax quote, I just found that particularly amusing. Especially with the recent tea parties and Obama being likened to a Communist...like Castro. Obamas ideology fits rather nicely with Fidels on this last line....."Castro said that Cuba uses the (taxes) to provide free health care, education and subsidized food to all of its population."

Comment

• sadaist
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Yes or no. Has Obama called for tax reductions for a MAJORITY of Americans?
                    I really don't give a fuck what he "calls for", I care what he actually does. President Bush called for "unifying" the country....how'd he do? But your answer is yes, he has called for it.

this laughter fit you're in?
                    Dude, I'd much rather be in a fit of laughter than permanently on the rag. You've groaned 117 times so far as of the time of this post. Whine much?

Then you can go back to your ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    YAYZ!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iEWgs6YQR9A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iEWgs6YQR9A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

50 years and now Obama is the one who is going to finally make things good with Cuba. Raul Castro respects Obama so much he will do this & that to work with him and make things right.
                      It's inevitable that we will "make things good" - or at least better - with Cuba. Fidel is on his death bed and out of power. Raul won't be the permanent guy as he's no spring chicken himself, and he seems somewhat more open to change, "misquoted" or not. Obama may well be the US president in office when it happens, and hopefully he will handle it well. But it never could happen under a BCE administration, because no Castro is going to talk to the BCE, for obvious reasons.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

I

Dude, I'd much rather be in a fit of laughter than permanently on the rag. You've groaned 117 times so far as of the time of this post. Whine much?

>
                        I've also THANKED almost 800 times.

I just have to laugh at you Rush/Hannity/Beck -bots.

Think for yourself much?

Originally posted by Kristy
                        Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                        Originally posted by cadaverdog
                        I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                          It's inevitable that we will "make things good" - or at least better - with Cuba. Fidel is on his death bed and out of power. Raul won't be the permanent guy as he's no spring chicken himself, and he seems somewhat more open to change, "misquoted" or not. Obama may well be the US president in office when it happens, and hopefully he will handle it well. But it never could happen under a BCE administration, because no Castro is going to talk to the BCE, for obvious reasons.
                          Like I said, I think Obama handled it great and I think he is on the right track with Cuba. Yet the story blames him for misinterpreting when it was actually the media that did.

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

I've also THANKED almost 800 times.

:
                            For a second I thought that said that you've WANKED almost 800 times. I was thinking I finally had you beat in at least one category.

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

The whole U.S. policy towards Cuba needs to change. After some 50-plus years of failure by the hands of over-paranoid Rethuglicans running the State Department it's time to reappeal the embargos and restrictions and look upon the Cuban people as human beings in the world.

But really, I'd love to relax on a beach there sipping a Cuba Libre all day.

Yum!
                              Last edited by Kristy; 04-22-2009, 05:21 PM. Reason: for the yumness, of course

Comment

Working...