X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guwapo_rocker
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
    Hi everybody, I have been in a funk all day, avoiding the computer and the reviews, because my concert jaunt is over and I'm afraid I may never see the mighty VH live again. Sure hope I'm wrong.

I knew I was going to be in trouble with the boards when I couldn't get tapatalk to connect once we were in Boston. No connection whatsoever at the Harp and I got connected twice in the garden, once to tell you no set list - then to try and tell you they played Hang 'em high and that went through about a half hour later. Fuckin links scooped us!
    Started at the harp looking for TJVHOU812 and Chuckie Lee - no luck. Listened to Unchained for a while, thought of saying hi to Rick during a break, I met him at "Dave's 50th Birthday Bash" in NYC during the DDLR days, but Unchained did not TAKE a break.....oh well. My friend and I got a table and had dinner.

Then we decided since we didn't find anybody to go see Kool and the Gang. What a MISTAKE. God it sucked. Now to be fair, we had the ultimate of nosebleed seats and VH didn't sound great up there either - but I had no desire to get up and dance or do anything but go get more beer. My friend was more into it than I was.

So VH started and from what I could see Dave was spot on for most of the lyrics. I was preoccupied telling my friend what song they were playing and trying to see the screen around the huge wall of speakers that were in the way! The highlights were Dave's story about being 7 years old and taking dinner to his father at Mass General and his mother telling to play on the sidewalk with his sister. The people in the jail yelling down to him - Hey sugar, you're handsome, a good looking boy" and him asking who they were. His mom told him those were the ladies in the jail talking to him. Well, Dave says, later I was watching a documentary on the jail and those weren't no fucking ladies. He sure has a way with a story.

The end of Hot for Teacher was killer extended and Dave told Alex that he was amazing and that was the mother of all rock endings. I am getting the idea that Dave is kissing Al's ass on stage a little cause he also told him what a bad motherfucker he was after the Drum solo in Buffalo. hmmmm.

What else did I notice, lessee. Oh, and don't kill the messenger. The first two words of "Tattoo" are piped in. I know this because Dave was talking and they sprung the opening of the song on them early - and Ed and Wolf weren't even at their mics. Makes sense when you think about it, that was a multi note layered chord and 3 people really can't sing it anyway. Anyway, it doesn't mean that Wolf is not singing so don't knife me or anything. There were other places where you knew they were singing when the lyrics could have been piped in and they weren't. They nailed the middle of "Dance the night away" for instance. So much my friend commented on it. "That's not easy to do a cappella in the middle of a song."

I cannot comment on the quality of Hang 'em High. I was just so fucking excited to hear it that I spent most of the song trying to get Tapatalk to work, and it was really tough to hear up there at the ceiling anyway.

Eddie's solo contained almost ALL of cathedral which was very cool. My friend was very impressed by that too. I was almost crying by the time they hit ABTL and Jump - I couldn't believe my concert week went by so fast. So now I'll just stay around on the boards on concert nights with my beer and looking at play by play. And I can watch concert clips now and not worry it's going to spoiil anything. I have to go back and look at FUll Bug. I wouldn't look at it iin case they played it at any of my 3 shows.

I'm sitting here all bummed, hoping that I"ll get to see my DLR friends again someday. Buffalo was the ultra concert experience and I love these people so much.
    I pray that they add Cleveland to the list and I will make the definite effort to get there in the summer time. Boy we just love Cleveland, go figure.
    Vegas baby!!
    WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Comment

• guwapo_rocker
      Sniper
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
      so where was WARF?
      Still at Cafe Wha?
      WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Comment

• VAiN
        Use my hand, I won't look
        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

there is no denying this.
        Originally posted by wiseguy
        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
          there is no denying this.
          It would sound so much better if Eddie was wearing his striped shoes...
          American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• TJMKID
            Veteran
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
            so where was WARF?

Cap'n WARF has been mysteriously absent from this thread ---- how could he miss a VH show in his own backyard ??

Comment

• VAiN
              Use my hand, I won't look
              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

People getting upset with Dave for being so goddamn Dave are funny..
              Originally posted by wiseguy
              That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Carloscda
                Foot Soldier
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Zing!
                For those who were there (and cut me some slack if I missed this on a previous page) but how did Dave finish his thought on 'Hang 'Em High'?

"That's the first time we've played that..."
                Excellent Point!

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by VAiN
                  People getting upset with Dave for being so goddamn Dave are funny..
                  Aaah you know how it is. It's just popular to bitch is all. Dave's sporting an eternal hall pass. Everybody knows. And Dutch is right. Ed was judged extremely harshly by his miscues and f-ups back in '07-'08. It's certainly all good in the VH hood these days!

Comment

• SNIPER
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jun 2004

Holly fuck. I was busy last night and did not know VH had a show last night. And they fucking play HEH !!!!!!!!??????
                    Last edited by SNIPER; 03-13-2012, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by SNIPER
                      Holly fuck. I was busy last night and did not know VH had a show last night. And they fucking play HEH !!!!!!!!??????
                      No shit!! Since when did Van Halen give us so much??? It's gotten to the point that if you blink you're gonna miss something...

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

I can't help but shake my head and wonder why Ed, Al and Wolfie decided to spring Hang 'Em High on Dave with no rehearsals. But, OK, they decided to just toss it out there, without Dave's knowledge until the day of the show. Good fucking call! That's the way to run a tour - you just decide, as a band, to launch into a song without the singer knowing jack shit about it...I don't for a minute believe they just launched into this song without clearing it with Dave. No fucking way.

Comment

• Yount
                          Commando
                          • Jan 2012

C'mon Dave buddy, catch on! I bet the crowd is singing it with ya!
                          That would be an awesome sight, looking out at the faces singing back.

BTW does anybody know the last time DLR sang this song live?

He could have sung thousands of songs since then. He's got to close his eyes and channel it like he preaches in his book. But then what the fuck do I know about being 56 years old?
                          Last edited by Yount; 03-13-2012, 03:08 AM.

Comment

• Golden AWe
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chi-town324
                            hell i know the song better than Dave...maybe he should have gone over the lyric sheet before the show?
                            "I forgot the fuckin' SHEET!!!"
                            Originally posted by Cato
                            Golden, why are you FAT?
                            Originally posted by lesfunk
                            Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                            http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• tjvhou812
                              Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

i did go to the harp shoes, but the line was out the door about 40 deep, so we just went to the liquor store next store by the waaf van grabed a 30 pack and went back to the parking garage and tailgated
                              but yea i feel the same way, i hope they coe thru providence like they did on the last tour. because im not ready for this to end
                              Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Comment

• sadaist
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Golden AWe
                                "I forgot the fuckin' SHEET!!!"

Have they ever played Hang Em High live?
                                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Working...