X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Van Halen Tape Vault Info

Got the latest issue of TapeOp magazine a few days ago.

There is an interview with a guy named Brian Kehew.

His gig is to go through tape vaults at major labels and look for outtakes, and other stuff by A-list artists which have never been released before.

In the magazine article, he makes a brief mention of Van Halen:

Q: I would guess that a lot of songs that you've mixed are never going to be heard.

A: Sadly. Some of the best stuff is still not out, for political or band reasons. There are lots of amazing Van Halen tracks that could come out.

Then, there is a bonus interview at their website here:

Tape Op is a free magazine exclusively about recording music. Subscribe (yep, for free) at tapeop.com.

Van Halen

Unfortunately - and this is sadly true - most people throw away outtakes. On all the Van Halen tapes, all the alternate takes are usually gone. I have tons of Van Halen no one has ever heard, amazing stuff they recorded and never released. But they threw out every other take of "Hot For Teacher" except the master. The Van Halen tapes were incredible to work on. We were given a project for a proposed box set of the David Lee Roth years, outtakes and rarities. We went through every tape that's in the vault, mixing some truly great, unheard music. They were perhaps the last famous band that grew up by playing bars and clubs doing cover songs, so they had skills like the Beatles from working covers and originals. Don Landee did a great job recording Eddie's guitar. It was so interesting and distinctive. Not what other people were doing.

• VHscraps
    Veteran
    • Jul 2009

"We were given the project for a proposed box set of the DLR years".

So, even if they threw out lots, or recorded new rales over old ones, etc., there was obviously enough still there to hire this guy ...

Get the feeling we'll not see this stuff until either a significant anniversary, or until the band is over for good.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• philouze
      Banned
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps
      Get the feeling we'll never see this stuff.
      Fixed it for you...

Comment

• hambon4lif
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jun 2004

It doesn't surprise me that they exist, what DOES surprise me is that someone outside of the VH organization has actually heard them.
        And I'm not as interested in alternative takes of songs we already know as I am of songs we've never heard before.

Ed can be a perfectionist to the point where it can be annoying (especially during the classic years), and he probably threw away songs he felt weren't good enough...that would awesomely fuck everyone's head up to listen to.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Well, at least this is an indication that somebody (other than us lunatics on this board) was taking the idea of a Van HALEN box set seriously.

That in and of itself is more promising than anything else that's been said about the subject (mostly by us) since 2000 or so. As far as the "political" issues referenced by the interview, my guess is that this has to do with the obvious participation of one Michael Sobolewski in this material and the fact that Eddie might not want to pay him for any of this. Which would mean the only material eligible for release would be the Cherokee Studios demo from 1973, which had Mark Stone playing bass, or anything from the 1984 sessions which may well have had Eddie himself on bass.

I'd hate to see it come down to this. Even if Mikey will never be in the band again, he definitely WAS in the band then, and there's no point trying to erase or tamper with history.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• VHscraps
            Veteran
            • Jul 2009

So, even if they threw out lots, or recorded new rales over old ones, etc., there was obviously enough still there to hire this guy ...

Get the feeling we'll not see this stuff until either a significant anniversary, or until the band is over for good.
            That should be 'recorded new takes over old ones'

Big fingers, small iPhone keys, etc,
            THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Hardrock69
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2005

I contacted Brian with questions about what he knows about FILM/VIDEO in the vaults.

If I hear any reply, I will surely post it here.

Comment

• vandeleur
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Sep 2009

Good find HR
                fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

"I have tons of Van Halen no one has ever heard, amazing stuff they recorded and never released."

Alright, time to get a bribe pot going.

Comment

• Fairwrning
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

These are the kind of things that make me wish Gene Simmons was manager of the band.

Comment

• Halen High
                      Commando
                      • Jul 2004

I'm convinced they are saving a lot of this stuff for when the band is retired. They can keep the band 'alive' for many more years by drip-feeding unreleased music, alternate versions, film footage on DVDs etc.

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Halen High
                        I'm convinced they are saving a lot of this stuff for when the band is retired. They can keep the band 'alive' for many more years by drip-feeding unreleased music, alternate versions, film footage on DVDs etc.
                        It's really inexplicable to me as to why the Roth-era releases haven't been augmented in recent years with bonus tracks, live video releases, outtakes, etc.

I mean, for official video of those years on dvd you've got...what...Van Halen Video Hits Vol.1, which has the three 1984 promo videos and nothing else Roth-related...and you've got the 6-pack and that's it.

In a 2003 interview Roth was at a loss to explain as to why this stuff hadn't been released, other than his then-belief that the Van Halens didn't want to embrace that part of their history. This may have made sense at that point, when a reunion didn't look like it was gonna happen. I can't understand why it hasn't happened in the last 5 years, though. If the band are willing to rework old demos for a new album, I can't imagine there should be any resistance to putting previously unreleased old material out there...not sure that I buy the theory that it's to avoid paying Mike Anthony any royalties...

Maybe it WILL be a case of the band not wanting to do it until they've decided to retire, as a means of keeping people somewhat focused on the present more so than the past (or at least as much as they're able to).
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• hambon4lif
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                          In a 2003 interview Roth was at a loss to explain as to why this stuff hadn't been released, other than his then-belief that the Van Halens didn't want to embrace that part of their history.
                          I remember that interview, he said there was a ton of stuff that should've been released, and that it's a 'responsibility' for the band to release that stuff to the fans.

The fact that they haven't makes me jealous of AC/DC fans. You'll see stuff on the store shelves like "Family Jewels", or most recently "Live At Riverplate", and think "Damn! that band gives their fans exactly everything they want!" And they couldn't be happier if they were getting a $50 lapdance.

Ed will probably wake the fuck up and decide to release the Oakland '81 show in its entirety, but it won't really matter. It'll be in the fall of 2032, when we will either stop giving a shit, or be dead by then.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

I blame Eddie. Dave's on record as saying this stuff should be released. And Mikey, hell, he'd be the last guy to say no - I bet even if he wasn't getting paid. So Ed's gotta be the one. I want all of it. Every second of video, every outtake, hours and hours of tape from every recording session. I want it all. And I want it shipped to me in a big red and black and white striped box that's the size of a Buick. So Eddie - crank up the DVD burners. My credit card is locked and loaded...
                            American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by hambon4lif
                              The fact that they haven't makes me jealous of AC/DC fans. You'll see stuff on the store shelves like "Family Jewels", or most recently "Live At Riverplate", and think "Damn! that band gives their fans exactly everything they want!"
                              Well that's not exactly true either. Ac/Dc still hasn't released their first four albums as they were originally recorded anywhere outside of Australia. I think most of the songs themselves were eventually released, but you had to buy a half a dozen box sets to get all of them. It took the Beatles until 1987 to reconcile their album catalog deficiencies, and the Stones didn't really do so until 2002 (with a series of CD's that were only pressed once) so there's still hope that Ac/Dc will do this eventually. Thankfully I still have my Australian issued "Volume I" box set of CD's, along with the first two albums on vinyl.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...