Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zing!
    Veteran
    • Oct 2011

There's an entirely different outtake version of WACF out there for sure that could easily be cleaned up and included with that disc. There are some who feel outtakes should remain thus and never see the light of day, but in the interest of history (and my own VH greed) I wouldn't mind hearing studio chatter like on Let It Be Naked or on the Morrison Hotel 40th Anniversary release.
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I would suspect it's just a repackaging of the Remasters previously released.

But hey... you get totally new paper mini-jackets, neatly housed in a in clamshell box!! Whoopty Fucking DOOOO!!!!
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I say "fuck Warner Brothers Records."

But I don't have the remasters and probably will end up with it anyways...
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
          I would suspect it's just a repackaging of the Remasters previously released.

But hey... you get totally new paper mini-jackets, neatly housed in a in clamshell box!! Whoopty Fucking DOOOO!!!!
          LOL, you pretty much nailed it Zah.....

Here is Jeff's response....

I've emailed Warner Bros. to try to find out if the remastering is any different than it was in 2000. I figure it probably is not any different. I will email you as soon as I know.

The CDs are housed in cardboard slipcases instead of jewel cases. The cardboard slipcases have the all the album's front and back artwork on them. The CDs are made to look like the sticker that is on the middle of all of vinyl LPs, with the Warner Bros. logo, too.

Warner Bros. is making very similar box sets for several other artists. This is definitely not the "box set" that we have all been dreaming of, but I think that's okay because it's not supposed to be that. I'm going to be optimistic and think that this release does not diminish whatever chance we have of still getting the box set of our dreams someday.

I think that the only purpose of this box that is to speed up the selling of the first 6 CDs, and I think it will do that. It's cheaper, and much lighter weight, which will save customers on shipping costs.

I'll let you know on the remastering as soon as I hear. Thanks,
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

Fuck this shit.....if Jeff has the inside skinny on goings on at WB, ASK HIM ABOUT FILM FOOTAGE!

Comment

• Girth
              Roth Army Recruit
              • May 2012

Originally posted by VAiN
              I wonder exactly what Mike signed away in 2004 to tour with van hagar one last time... It's my understanding that he signed away past, current and future rights to anything VH related.. I think it's more of not wanting Mike to get the exposure and not worrying about paying him.
              I was going to ask/say this and glad you did - I believe Mike signed away his rights and was basically a hired hand for that 2004 tour. Now I am sure his hired hand rate was quite nice.
              If he did sign away his publishing rights (which he was stupid if he did), they are in the clear.

I do believe releasing stuff from the classic VH years is in the plans - but it will be later after possibly another new studio album. I can see Dave put in the archivist role in these later years since Ed probably wouldn't want to deal with it, but he would know it would continue the legacy and draw new fans possibly.

If not, Ed is too much of a perfectionist and makes enough money off his guitars and tours. If he ever was hard up for cash, we probably would have seen this stuff by now.

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

I dunno...maybe Ed was just plain sick of seeing Mike Anthony's face.

I mean, think back to how many places you've worked at...how many people have worked with the same person for 30 years? I've had jobs where I met some really cool people and we were pretty tight when we were at work, friends-wise or associate-wise, but after I left the jobs I lost touch with them.

Even as far back as 1982, Ed was grousing in unpublished interviews about how he felt Mike wasn't pulling his weight far as creating the music went, so maybe Ed gradually over the years wondered why he was still carrying Mike Anthony's load?

In the end, Mike Anthony was the single most loyal person to the Van Halens. He didn't quit the band, he really didn't talk too much shit in the press about them after Ed shitcanned him. He got a big goose egg for all those years of loyalty...I mean, I doubt it was one incident that caused Ed to give him the heave-ho.

One would think Anthony would deserve better than he got, but then again Anthony allowed Ed to dictate shitty terms to him for the 2004 tour. It's just like that hip dyke Eleanor Roosevelt once said: people can't take advantage of you unless you let them.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                  ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by Girth
                  I was going to ask/say this and glad you did - I believe Mike signed away his rights and was basically a hired hand for that 2004 tour. Now I am sure his hired hand rate was quite nice.
                  If he did sign away his publishing rights (which he was stupid if he did), they are in the clear.

I do believe releasing stuff from the classic VH years is in the plans - but it will be later after possibly another new studio album. I can see Dave put in the archivist role in these later years since Ed probably wouldn't want to deal with it, but he would know it would continue the legacy and draw new fans possibly.

If not, Ed is too much of a perfectionist and makes enough money off his guitars and tours. If he ever was hard up for cash, we probably would have seen this stuff by now.

I love the idea of Dave digging through the archives and selecting what is to be released but from what i know of Eddie i don't think that will happen.When they are through touring and recording i can see Ed loving sitting at home going through decades of his work and putting things together.
                  I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                  Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• CreatureFrmTheC
                    Groupie
                    • Jul 2009

I heard Eddie took Wolf to shchool one day, and one of the kids saw 'HAEL' on MTV and asked if his dad was really Waldo, and would he please come to school so they could try and find him.

Comment

• philouze
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by creaturefrmthec
                      i heard eddie took wolf to shchool one day, and one of the kids saw 'hael' on mtv and asked if his dad was really waldo, and would he please come to school so they could try and find him.
                      lol...

Comment

• ThatArtGuy
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
                        Agree. This is an urban =VH= legend that pops up here from time to time - we've debated this more than once in other threads in the past - and the general consensus seems to be that it's simply rumor/myth. Is it possible? Sure - just as possible as DLR banging Ed's wife. Would Ed be more upset about a slight over his mother than a bandmate having an affair with his dearly beloved? Entirely possible as well. Ed's a strange duck.
                        I thought the rumor was that Dave banged Alex's fiance; to which Ed hurt his hand hitting a wall backstage after hearing about it. Apparently, even the Van Halen parents were having the "nice, young lady" investigated because they didn't trust her. I can't see Dave ever being with Val. The personalities just don't fit.
                        I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

• big fatty
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Jul 2004

No, no, no. The rumour was Dave had an affair with Alex's wife, who just happened to have the same name, Valerie.

It was a very short marriage. Rumour came to my attention from Kerrang magazine in the mid 80's, evidently Alex hired a private investegator to check up on his wife, as he was suspicious. But of course, it was printed as a rumour, not 100% certain to be true or not. L.O.L.

Comment

• VHscraps
                            Veteran
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by big fatty
                            No, no, no. The rumour was Dave had an affair with Alex's wife, who just happened to have the same name, Valerie.

It was a very short marriage. Rumour came to my attention from Kerrang magazine in the mid 80's, evidently Alex hired a private investegator to check up on his wife, as he was suspicious. But of course, it was printed as a rumour, not 100% certain to be true or not. L.O.L.
                            Ha ha!! I remember that story in Kerrang. I believe it appeared in a regular column with news from L.A. - generally rumour and gossip, as you say - written by the pseudonymous 'Laura Canyon', who was actually the still respected music journalist, Sylvie Simmons (recent author of an acclaimed biography of Leonard Cohen).

She interviewed Dave quite a few times (as Sylvie Simmons) in Sounds (the long-defunct music weekly) and Kerrang, and like other women journalists tended to get some of Dave's best interview 'performances', if I can call them that.
                            THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• VHscraps
                              Veteran
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by VHscraps
                              Ha ha!! I remember that story in Kerrang. I believe it appeared in a regular column with news from L.A. - generally rumour and gossip, as you say - written by the pseudonymous 'Laura Canyon', who was actually the still respected music journalist, Sylvie Simmons (recent author of an acclaimed biography of Leonard Cohen).

She interviewed Dave quite a few times (as Sylvie Simmons) in Sounds (the long-defunct music weekly) and Kerrang, and like other women journalists tended to get some of Dave's best interview 'performances', if I can call them that.
                              As Big Fatty was saying ...

I have tons of this stuff, which was clipped from magazines etc when I threw them all out, like 25-30 fucking years ago.

It all comes in useful ... eventually
                              THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Hardrock69
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Feb 2005

I'll be damned...had heard that rumour for years without seeing/hearing the original source.....Ed was not talking to Alex? Gee....I guess even HE knew she was a ho.

Comment

Working...