X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scorpioboy33
    Commando
    • Jul 2004

juvenile diabetes

Today got a call today that my nephew.(wife's sisters kid) was in the ICU. He had been sick all week with what they thought was a flu anyways this morning apparently he could not breathe so they took him to the hospital.

When he got there was got tested and his sugar was 30. Apparently it should be 6 and he was unconcious. They have gotten it down to 24 and Im sure after a few days they should get it under control (god I hope).

I didn't write this to illicit any response cause I know you all will pray or whatever you do for Evan but what I did wonder is have any of you ever experience juvenile diabetes, cause no one had any idea he even had this. I mean can't understand how he could have 30 sugar..he's not heavy and is active.

Anyways let me know and like I said...I know you all are cool and will think of him
  • Susie Q
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Both my parents have diabetes, but no one in my family has had Juvenile diabetes. Here is what I have found out for you.....

Juvenile Diabetes
    Children can be affected by two types of diabetes. The most common form of diabetes that affects children is diabetes mellitus, type I. Often this is referred to as juvenile diabetes or insulin-dependent diabetes. The second type of diabetes is very rare in children, but common in adults. It is termed, diabetes mellitus, type II or non-insulin dependent diabetes.

Type I Diabetes Mellitus
    Our body uses sugar (glucose) for energy. Glucose is found in many foods, especially sweets and high-carbohydrate foods (pasta, bread etc.) Without it, we cannot survive. When we ingest glucose, our pancreas (an organ in the abdomen) secretes a chemical, insulin. Insulin is crucial in helping the body to use glucose. In children with type I diabetes, the pancreas stops making insulin, so the body is unable to utilize glucose. As a result, the unused glucose accumulates in the blood and can cause serious complications if not treated.
    Type I diabetes affects nearly 2 in every 1,000 school age children. The cause is still not completely understood, although there is some evidence of a genetic predisposition and also a link between some infections that may damage the pancreas. Early signs of the disease usually include frequent urination, excessive hunger and thirst and some weight loss within a month.

Type I diabetes can be treated effectively by taking insulin. Treatment is a balancing act between diet, exercise, blood-glucose levels, and the amount and type of insulin taken. Your doctor plays a crucial role in monitoring your child's health and determining the best treatment options. With proper treatment, most children can live very normal lives with type I diabetes.

God Speed for Evan and your family...

I try like hell to keep things all fluffy bunnies and pink daisies. But brutal truth smacks me in the ass all the time.
    ~Susie Q 2009

Comment

• scorpioboy33
      Commando
      • Jul 2004

thanks suzie...alot....it means alot and great info

Comment

• Susie Q
        Veteran
        • Jan 2004

You're welcome. You sounded like you just needed a bit of reassurance that he will be ok. No matter what the illness, there is some comfort when you are not left out in the dark and have a bit of answers.

I try like hell to keep things all fluffy bunnies and pink daisies. But brutal truth smacks me in the ass all the time.
        ~Susie Q 2009

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by scorpioboy33

When he got there was got tested and his sugar was 30. Apparently it should be 6 and he was unconcious. They have gotten it down to 24 and Im sure after a few days they should get it under control (god I hope).

Apparently you have your information wrong, or you're making this up...

Normal blood glucose is between 70 and 120...

If it was 30 they would start a dextrose IV to bring it up...

I think you're full of shit...

Comment

• scorpioboy33
            Commando
            • Jul 2004

man elvis I think your a complete idiot..why the fuck would I make this up...jesus man. anyways im just telling you what i was told by my sister inlaw...man you suck

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Well, get it right next time...

If it's true I take it back...

Comment

• Susie Q
                Veteran
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by scorpioboy33
                man elvis I think your a complete idiot..why the fuck would I make this up...jesus man. anyways im just telling you what i was told by my sister inlaw...man you suck
                It could be that his sister is hysterical, and didn't hear the Doctor right. Sometimes when your kid is in a life/death situation, it's hard to think with a clear mind.

ELVIS you would know....you're in the medical field, scorpioboy isn't and just heard this from his sister... A bit hard on this scorpioboy, no?

~Susie Q 2009

Comment

• scorpioboy33
                  Commando
                  • Jul 2004

sorry man this is all new to me...i would never make up shit like this jesus...after talking with my mum its a blood sugar level mmol/l whatever that means...for instance my father and father inlaw need to keep theres between 4 and 7.

after searching the net maybe its a test called a hemoglobin
                  A1C where the normal level is between 4 and 7....i know that with the 30 he had he could have easily went into a coma...it's down to a 24..so fingers crossed

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Either way, I answered the thread with honesty...

Comment

• scorpioboy33
                      Commando
                      • Jul 2004

and just for clarification it's my wifes sisters kids...

Comment

• scorpioboy33
                        Commando
                        • Jul 2004

whatever man Elvis.. i really don't give a shit about proving anything or getting sympathy..just trying to get information from people who know so I can understand it better and help my wife figure it out...there is a ton of info out there and trying to narrow it down

Comment

• scorpioboy33
                          Commando
                          • Jul 2004

k i just got a pm from a nice person thanks this is what they said

but what it sounds like they're talking about his A1c test, and yeah, it should be 6, that's normal,meaning between 70-120 mg/dl so it sounds like his blood sugar was more like 800.mg/dl

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

..and I told you correct glucose values...

You're welcome...

Comment

• Susie Q
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                              Either way, I answered the thread with honesty...
                              Is that called 'tough love'?

Yah you would know more than any of us that has posted on this. I think he is talking about the HGBA1C test. What that is, is it measures the blood sugar level over a period of time. Just glad that they took him to the hospital when they did.

~Susie Q 2009

Comment

Working...