X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

The 2004 NFL Football Draft

Here's your place to post about the draft that comes in April I think...yeah...Super Bowl hasn't happened yet...but the two months up to the draft is almost as fun...

If you come across a mock draft...post it...

the whole thing...and let us know where it came from...

I'll cut and paste RBW's from earlier...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

1. San Diego Chargers: Eli Manning, QB, Ole Miss
    Drew Brees has not proven himself as a player who will ultimately be a starter in the NFL, and while the Chargers also have needs at OT, WR, DT and LB, passing up a blue-chip quarterback like Manning is tough to do, especially considering they passed on Michael Vick a couple years ago.

Larry Fitzgerald has the hands and body control to make the tough catches.
    2. Oakland Raiders: *Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pittsburgh
    The Raiders certainly could use a quarterback, with Rich Gannon getting up there in age, but Fitzgerald would be a good complement to the big, athletic Jerry Porter at wideout. There is also need at DL and S, but Fitzgerald has all the skills you look for in a receiver.

3. Arizona Cardinals: *Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami-Ohio
    Josh McCown is an adequate QB, but Roethlisberger will give new coach Dennis Green a potential star. DL is also a need area, but no linemen are worthy of the No. 3 pick, so the Cardinals would do well to upgrade the most important position on the field.

4. New York Giants: Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa
    Getting a player like Gallery -- the prototype left tackle -- would be a huge help to QB Kerry Collins, who was beaten up big-time this season. The Giants also need help along the DL and at S, but Gallery will step in immediately and fill a big hole.

5. Washington Redskins: *Kellen Winslow, TE, Miami-Fla.
    The TE position is always important in a Joe Gibbs offense, and Winslow will give the Redskins a multi-dimensional talent at that position, one that could be utilized creatively by Gibbs and his staff. DL and RB are also need positions in Washington, but it will be hard to pass up an athlete like Winslow at this spot.

6. Detroit Lions: *Sean Taylor, S, Miami-Fla.
    The Lions need to get the best impact player still on the board at either WR, RB, DE, CB or S, and Taylor looks to be that guy. Taylor is to the safety position at Miami what Ray Lewis was to the MLB spot and has tremendous toughness.

7. Atlanta Falcons: *Tommie Harris, DT, Oklahoma
    DT, OT, CB and WR are the need areas for the Falcons, and Harris wreaks havoc behind the line of scrimmage. He can cause problems for opposing QBs and was constantly triple-teamed in college.

8. Cleveland Browns: *Chris Gamble, CB, Ohio State
    Gamble might be a slight reach here, but his upside is tremendous, and he capped his college career with a terrific game in Ohio State's Fiesta Bowl win over Kansas State. A roll of the dice, but if he can be coached up and improve his cover skills Gamble could be an impact player down the road.

9. Jacksonville Jaguars: Roy Williams, WR, Texas
    The Jags need a complement to Jimmy Smith at wideout, and a reliable No. 2 option would certainly help the development of QB Byron Leftwich. Jacksonville also has needs at CB and DE.

10. Houston Texans: *Kenechi Udeze, DE, USC
    A pass-rusher is the No. 1 need in Houston, and Udeze fits the mold. Originally a DT, Udeze has developed into a terrific strong-side DE and is ideally suited to the 3-4 scheme with his rush skills and ability to hold up against the run.

11. Pittsburgh Steelers: Dunta Robinson, CB, South Carolina
    The Steelers' secondary has been torched in recent years and Robinson is definitely worthy of a high pick. He is fundamentally sound and prepared to step in and become an immediate starter.

12. New York Jets: Jonathan Vilma, LB, Miami-Fla.
    New York definitely needs help at WR and CB, but Vilma would give the Jets speed, athleticism and instincts to boost their LB corps.

13. Buffalo Bills: Will Smith, DE, Ohio State
    A perfect fit. Smith would be the best player available at this point in the first round and fill a big-time need for the Bills, who could also use help at CB or WR.

14. Chicago Bears: *Kevin Jones, RB, Virginia Tech
    Jones has size, breakaway speed and the ability to catch and block. He would be a good complement to Anthony Thomas, who is not quite the home run hitter Jones could be. The Bears might also look to upgrade at WR, DT or DB.

15. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: *Shawn Andrews, OT, Arkansas
    Andrews is a devastating run blocker who is also light on his feet and would upgrade the RT position dramatically for the Bucs. WR and TE are also areas of need in Tampa
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Troy
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

I don't know who any of these guys are.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

C'mon man...you know who Kellen Winslow is...

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

2004 DRAFT PROJECTION
          January 20, 2004
          * indicates underclassman
          First round 1 San Diego Eli Manning QB Mississippi
          2 Oakland *Larry Fitzgerald WR Pittsburgh
          3 Arizona *Ben Roethlisberger QB Miami (Ohio)
          4 New York Giants Roy Williams WR Texas
          5 Washington *Kenechi Udeze DE Southern California
          6 Detroit *Sean Taylor FS Miami
          7 Cleveland Robert Gallery OT Iowa
          8 Atlanta *Shawn Andrews OT Arkansas
          9 Jacksonville *Reggie Williams WR Washington
          10 Houston *Kellen Winslow TE Miami
          11 Pittsburgh *Steven Jackson RB Oregon State
          12 New York Jets *Chris Gamble CB Ohio State
          13 Buffalo *Tommie Harris DT Oklahoma
          14 Chicago *Vince Wilfork DT Miami
          15 Tampa Bay *Kevin Jones RB Virginia Tech
          16 San Francisco Will Smith DE Ohio State
          17 Cincinnati *Randy Starks DT Maryland
          18 New Orleans D.J. Williams LB Miami
          19 Minnesota Derrick Strait CB Oklahoma
          20 Miami *Michael Clayton WR LSU
          21 New England (from Baltimore) *Maurice Clarett RB Ohio State
          22 Dallas Michael Jenkins WR Ohio State
          23 Seattle *Antwan Odom DE Alabama
          24 Denver *DeAngelo Hall CB Virginia Tech
          25 Green Bay J.P. Losman QB Tulane
          26 St. Louis *Sean Jones FS Georgia
          27 Tennessee Karlos Dansby LB Auburn
          28 Philadelphia Rashaun Woods WR Auburn
          29 Indianapolis Marcus Tubbs DT Texas
          30 Kansas City Will Poole CB Southern California
          31 Carolina Dunta Robinson CB South Carolina
          32 New England Jonathan Vilma LB Miami

Second round 33 Houston (from Oakland) No pick(1)
          34 Arizona Chad Lavalais DT LSU
          35. New York Giants Jacob Rogers OT Southern California
          36. San Diego *Devard Darling WR Washington State
          37. Detroit Chris Perry RB Michigan
          38. (t)Atlanta Darnell Dockett DT Florida State
          39. (t)Cleveland Keiwan Ratliff CB Florida
          40. Jacksonville Jason Babin DE Western Michigan
          41. Houston Dave Ball DE UCLA
          42. Washington Ben Troupe TE Florida
          43. New York Jets Ted Lehman LB Oklahoma
          44. Buffalo Phil Rivers QB North Carolina State
          45. Pittsburgh Nathan Vasher CB Texas
          46. Oakland (from Tampa Bay) Vernon Carey OG Miami
          47. San Francisco Lee Evans WR Wisconsin
          48. Chicago *Kelly Butler OT Purdue
          49. New Orleans *Matt Ware CB UCLA
          50. Cincinnati Stuart Schweigert FS Purdue
          51. Minnesota Bo Schobel DE Texas Christian
          52. Baltimore *Derrick Hamilton WR Clemson
          53. Dallas Michael Turner RB Northern Illinois
          54. Seattle Dontarrious Thomas LB Auburn
          55. Denver Dwan Edwards DT Oregon State
          56. Green Bay Michael Boulware LB Florida State
          57. New England (from Miami) Igor Olshansky DT Oregon
          58. Tennessee Tim Anderson DT Ohio State
          59. Philadelphia *Chris Snee OG Boston College
          60. Indianapolis Keith Smith CB McNeese State
          61. New Orleans (from St. Louis) *Ahmad Carroll CB Arkansas
          62. Kansas City *Matthias Askew DT Micigan State
          63. (sb)Carolina Keyaron Fox LB Georgia Tech
          64. (sb)New England *Nat Dorsey OT Georgia Tech

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

Thanks Chainz...I can't see fucking Pittsburgh taking a rb in the first round...

but I could see Gamble drop that far...and Rivers getting taken with the pick before Pittsburgh...man...that would be a huge steal...

It would be a hard player to pass up...the number one back in the draft...but I don't see it as their number one need...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

I'll post Kiper's bottom 16...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

I don't know about that either. To hear the Steelers talk, the Bus is done and Zereoue isn't sturdy enough. Rivers has played real well in the all-star games and the stuff about his release means nothing to me. If you can play, you can play. With QBs the mental aspect is as important, if not more.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

I am from Michigan and am hoping the Lions take a RB, but with Gibbs back in Washington now, and his game plan is usually a grinding running game, I'm thinking they will go Steven Jackson or Kevin Jones. It will be interesting to see where Winslow goes.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

Yeah...Winslow is a wildcard...

I kinda thought that Gibbs would go with a big TE...

You know Joe would want to go back a year and get the original Stephen Davis back...lol...

Bettis' days as a starter are gone...

Z will be traded or cut...

and Vernon Hayes is a question mark...

so I could see them take a back number one...

rumor has it that they are searching for a way to get Larry Jackson from KC...even though he's a rapist or whatnot...

KC wants Burress...Pittsburgh wants Jackson and a first rounder...I'm assuming that first rounder would be used to get Rivers...we'll see...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

I agree because I don't see Houston taking him after signing Billy Miller to a contract extension this past year. Washington is more equipped at the moment to be a passing team with the receivers they have, the runningbacks and OL's they don't have. Maybe Winslow will go there. Someone will nab him early. Just started doing some research for my own mock draft on my football site so will be reading a lot of mock drafts and opinions on boards to formulate. Do you do any sports writing PoJo?

This is a good thread and will change a lot as the days go by leading up to the draft, April 24-25.
                      Last edited by ALinChainz; 01-27-2004, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

I have in the past done some sports writing...

mainly college...and a bit afterwards for a local paper in Cleveland...one of those freebies...but I had a commentary section every week...a lot of fun ripping the shit out of people every week...

why...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Yeah man...I love the speculation almost more than the season...especially with the first three rounds...and the hidden picks in the latter part of the draft...like the Texans taking Henson last year in the sixth round...and they'll end up with a first rounder for him...unless he starts for the Yanks this year...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Always looking for good sports writers for my fantasy site. I didn't think it would hurt to ask, but I know with the Army getting back up and rolling that you would be pretty busy with it. We always hated the off season so we created this site.

It doesn't have to be just football either.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Henson

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                              Yeah man...I love the speculation almost more than the season...especially with the first three rounds...and the hidden picks in the latter part of the draft...like the Texans taking Henson last year in the sixth round...and they'll end up with a first rounder for him...unless he starts for the Yanks this year...
                              That was a smart pick by Houston because from all that I've been reading, Henson's baseball days are done.

Comment

Working...