Is Dave wasting his career waiting for a VH reunion?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vivian Campbell
    Head Fluffer
    • Oct 2004

Is Dave wasting his career waiting for a VH reunion?

Is Dave wasting the final years of his career waiting for the good ol’ Van Halen days to come back? He doesn’t tour regularly, he hasn’t released a serious album since 1998, and we hear little if any news from him besides the EMT blitz a month ago. What’s the deal? Why is he wasting the last years of his rocking career? In my opinion, its seems that Dave is holding out for not only a Van Halen reunion, but the fan base that went along with it. I think that Dave doesn’t want to devote his genius to an album that will sell 3,000 copies in the first week, when he could save his lyrics for a reunion album that could top the charts. Since he has enough money, why tour? He won’t get the attention nor the attendance that an inferior act like U2 is garnering. I think he would rather conserve his voice and wait for a big Van Halen stadium tour that will gain him the glory that he rightfully deserves.

Any thoughts on why Dave is M.I.A, save a sporadic show here and there?
    The Fat Lady is singing for Van Hagar.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attac...&postid=392002
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Roth's toured with regularity from 1999-2003. Think his biggest period of inactivity was from 1996-1999, and he managed to put out a book and a new album during this period, along with 3 or 4 months of work with Van Halen.

Can't say if Dave post-1996 is strategizing with short term projects that could be dropped on short notice to accomodate a Van Halen reunion. Seems that way at times. DLR Band came out in 1998, then nearly a year later he finally starts putting in some serious roadwork only to go silent for most of 2000. We later learn that something was going on with classic Van Halen during this period.

Think Roth may have come to the realization with the DLR Band and Diamond Dave that he's only gonna do so much in solo sales, regardless of what style of rock he's emphasizing, and the closest he's gonna get to mega-stardom again is a Van Halen reunion. However, I don't think that's really a defining goal for him, and really hasn't been since about 1993. Doing a Vegas show, doing indie-style records and now EMT work doesn't really smack of someone who is starving for press headlines anymore.

Think Dave is doing what he's always done, which to a large extent is pretty much whatever he wants. If he had wanted a Van Halen reunion above all else, am sure he wouldn't have done the open letter to the press in 1996 and continued to speak negatively about his former bandmates in interviews. He did those things because he approaches projects with a need to them on his own terms.

Believe Roth not too long ago said something along the lines of "I may be holding my breath waiting for a Van Halen reunion, but I don't think anybody else should".
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• tydhurst
      Commando
      • Mar 2004

I bet it'll still happen, i'd like it to, so it should. There you go, Mr Positive!
      Don't need a gun to blow your mind!

http://tydhurst.proboards30.com

Join my forum.

Comment

• rustoffa
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

I don't think Dave is waiting for a "VH" reunion, although if the terms were right I'm sure he'd sign right up.

I'm of the opinion he could give a fuck less.

Comment

• Antman
          Commando
          • Jan 2004

I think Dave has finally put VH behind him, as he should.
          When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

• scottydabodi
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jun 2004

Dave is waiting for a VH reunion?
            If you listen to fools
            The Mob Rules

Comment

• spmusicplyr
              Foot Soldier
              • May 2004

Do you really think a Best of, 2 albums, a book and numerous tours is waisting time?
              Got beef with my comments? Blow me!

Comment

• scottydabodi
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jun 2004

I want to "waste time" the way Dave does, man! Shit...
                If you listen to fools
                The Mob Rules

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Apr 2004

I don't think Dave is wasting anything or waiting for anything
                  “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• aesop
                    Commando
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Antman
                    I think Dave has finally put VH behind him, as he should.
                    I completely (but respectfully) disagree. I know if it could be done right, under the right terms, Dave would be back in a heartbeat. I think he feels like post-DLR Van Halen has been sub-par at best, and he wants to right this ship as much for Ed's sake and the Fan's sake and CVH in general's sake as much or more than his own individual goals. He also knows that the music industry needs this very badly right now... Someone to go out and school these young frontmen as to how it's done. Unfortunately, he could only do that under the VH banner.
                    Yo Yo Yo

Comment

• DaveTheSoulOfVH
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Feb 2004

i mean there's no market for dave as a solo artist; the only real musical event would be a CVH reunion...

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                        Sniper
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Vivian Campbell
                        He won’t get the attention nor the attendance that an inferior act like U2 is garnering.
                        It goes to show the idiocy of the modern music world when Dave is playing smaller theaters and U2 is playing football stadiums. They have a few good songs, but U2 must be the most overrated band of the last 20 years.

I don't think Dave is waiting around. He is touring, making CDs, and having fun. You can't ask for much more than that.
                        "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• Mylon
                          Roth Army Recruit
                          • Dec 2004

I think Dave would get together with VH again if he could but I don't think he is waiting for it anymore. And I can say if he did get back with VH they would draw a massive crowd but it would not be the Classic VH we all know. I went to see VH in toronto this summer and I can say eddie has lost a lot of what he can do. Sammy put on a better show then Eddie did and you can see Eddie wanted to just kinda play alone and didn't care about the band... he was really drunk also falling over once and you could just see it by his face.
                          I think Dave is doing what he likes right now playing small venues and having his fans there but hey who wouldn't like to go out in a big bang and have a VH reunion but I do not think that will ever be possible

Comment

• CROWBAR
                            Commando
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by diamondsgirl
                            I don't think Dave is wasting anything or waiting for anything
                            Me neither. Dave doesn't sit around wondering "Hey, think they'll call today?"

He might think about it in the back of his mind but he's always moving forward! I'm sure his current band situation is more important at the moment. Ain't no grass growing under Dave's feet!

Comment

• Fabulous Shadow

Who said he;s waiting? It's obvious that he's moved on... However... I have good reason to believe that CVH will go out in style...

Comment

Working...