Clear All
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

U.N. official slams U.S. as 'stingy' over aid

By Bill Sammon
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Bush administration yesterday pledged $15 million to Asian nations hit by a tsunami that has killed more than 22,500 people, although the United Nations' humanitarian-aid chief called the donation "stingy."

"The United States, at the president's direction, will be a leading partner in one of the most significant relief, rescue and recovery challenges that the world has ever known," said White House deputy press secretary Trent Duffy.

But U.N. Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Jan Egeland suggested that the United States and other Western nations were being "stingy" with relief funds, saying there would be more available if taxes were raised.

"It is beyond me why are we so stingy, really," the Norwegian-born U.N. official told reporters. "Christmastime should remind many Western countries at least, [of] how rich we have become."

"There are several donors who are less generous than before in a growing world economy," he said, adding that politicians in the United States and Europe "believe that they are really burdening the taxpayers too much, and the taxpayers want to give less. It's not true. They want to give more."

In response to Mr. Egeland's comments, Mr. Duffy pointed out that the United States is "the largest contributor to international relief and aid efforts, not only through the government, but through charitable organizations. The American people are very giving."

Offers of aid have poured in from around the world in the past two days, with the European Union's executive arm releasing $4 million in emergency aid and pledging an additional $27 million. Canada and several European nations — including Spain, Germany, Ireland and Belgium — each pledged about $1 million yesterday.

Secretary of State Colin L. Powell hinted that the $15 million U.S. offer was only the first installment of a larger aid package to those countries devastated by 30-foot waves triggered by a massive underwater earthquake.

"We also have to see this not just as a one-time thing," he said. "Some 20-plus thousand lives have been lost in a few moments, but the lingering effects will be there for years.

"The damage that was caused, the rebuilding of schools and other facilities will take time," he added. "So you need a quick infusion to stabilize the situation, take care of those who have been injured, get immediate relief supplies in, and then you begin planning for the longer haul."

If that planning calls for significant food aid, the United States might have to scramble.

"Even before the crisis in the Asia-Pacific region and the Indian Ocean, the demands for food aid were stretching capacity: demands in Sudan, demands in West Africa, demands in other areas hit by drought and fighting," State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said.

"So even though we're giving a lot, the demand is very high," he added. "We're going to have to look at, as we move forward, what we can do to meet that demand."

Money and food are not the only types of aid being sent by the Bush administration. The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) also is sending a 21-member disaster-relief team to the region.
    Also, the Pentagon has dispatched military patrol planes from the Pacific Fleet. President Bush has written letters of condolence to seven of the affected nations — Bangladesh, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, India, the Maldives and Malaysia.

Besides the United States, the largest single national donor was neighboring Australia, which offered $10 million and transportation aid.
    "Australia will and should give more," Prime Minister John Howard said.
    The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies made an initial appeal of $6.7 million, which the federation says it will probably increase.

Officials from relief agencies, including the Red Cross and other nongovernmental organizations, met yesterday in Geneva to coordinate their efforts. In New York, diplomats from six of the affected nations met with U.N. officials.

The United Nations and other aid organizations have deployed hundreds of disaster-recovery and humanitarian-response teams to the region, and officials warn that the cost of the disaster could quickly reach "many billions of dollars."

"We may only know the full effect of this emergency weeks from now," Mr. Egeland told reporters yesterday at the United Nations in New York. "The disaster affecting Southeast Asia is not the biggest in recorded history, but the effects could be the biggest because more people live in exposed areas than ever before."

The tsunami-ravaged nations are particularly susceptible to epidemics as authorities struggle with thousands of corpses in unsanitary conditions. International organizations and nations including France, Japan, Israel, Kuwait, Hungary and others are sending medical personnel to some or all of the affected countries.

"The principal danger is that of diseases transmitted through water, especially malaria and diarrhea, and infections caught through respiration," said Hakan Sandbladh, a Red Cross official in Geneva.

Groups such as Doctors Without Borders warned that catastrophes tend to help localized illnesses turn into full-blown epidemics.

The destruction of water and sewage pipes, the disruption of vaccination programs and the lack of attention to disease-carrying pests such as rats and mosquitoes exacerbated the risk, they said.

In this situation, the stagnant pools of water created by the tsunami could boost the numbers of mosquitoes and other insects that transmit tropical maladies such as malaria and dengue fever.

"The risk of epidemics is also linked to concentrations of people whose houses have been destroyed," said Pauline Horrill of Doctors Without Borders.

Meanwhile, Agence France-Presse reported that a tsunami alert system in Hawaii that warns Pacific countries about devastating tidal waves detected the earthquake that led to the destruction across Indian Ocean nations.

But the absence of an alert system in Asia meant the information could not be sent out fast enough.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, established in 1949 after a huge wave killed more than 150 people in Hawaii, issued a bulletin at 3:14 p.m. local time or 8:14 a.m. in the affected area, when it detected an earthquake off Indonesia.

The NOAA's information bulletin said there was a possibility of a tsunami near the earthquake's epicenter, but that no destructive threat existed in the Pacific. The huge tidal waves instead swept across the Indian Ocean, killing people in 10 countries from Indonesia to Somalia.

• Betsy Pisik, reporting from the United Nations in New York, contributed to this article, which is based in part on wire service reports.
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush
  • DrMaddVibe
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

I think we ponied up for the global war on terror...let one of the muslim nations stand and deliver to their brothers.
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• Vanstonica
      Roadie
      • Jun 2004

Good call, Dr! 5 stars!

It's amazing to me that everyone slams the US for getting involved in foreign matters, but as soon as there is a disaster, we're slammed if we don't contribute the majority of aid.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vanstonica
        Good call, Dr! 5 stars!

It's amazing to me that everyone slams the US for getting involved in foreign matters, but as soon as there is a disaster, we're slammed if we don't contribute the majority of aid.
        EXACTLY!!!
        “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I agree with this one BigBad.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Alert the Media.

I must agree w/ B3

This best not become a habit
            Originally posted by Kristy
            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
            Originally posted by cadaverdog
            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• ODShowtime
              ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Sorry, I have to agree too. Seriously, these fuckers bitch and moan about us all the time and then they EXPECT us to just drop millions immediately like they're ENTITLED to it. We could say FUCK YOU and rot, but we don't.

"Stingy" seriously, these UN folks are really starting to get under my skin. Who the fuck do they think they are?
              gnaw on it

Comment

• McCarrens
                Foot Soldier
                • May 2004

I never thought I'd see the day when Lounge Machine and I would agree on something.
                "The security around the hotel was ridiculous. This chick was pounding and screaming at my door until four or five in the morning....finally I said fuck it, and let her out of the room"

Comment

• aesop
                  Commando
                  • Oct 2004

US Citezens slam U.N. as 'Spineless' and 'Impotent' in the areas of Foreign Diplomacy and Competence...
                  Yo Yo Yo

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by McCarrens
                    I never thought I'd see the day when Lounge Machine and I would agree on something.
                    There's hope
                    Originally posted by Kristy
                    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                    Originally posted by cadaverdog
                    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ODShowtime

"Stingy" seriously, these UN folks are really starting to get under my skin. Who the fuck do they think they are?
                      My fave part was when he said we could spend more on aid if we raised taxes.
                      Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Big Train
                        Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

I think we are all not understanding what he means by stingy. What he is referring to is the amount of cash in his kickback envelope. In his own words:

"It is beyond me why are we so stingy, really," the Norwegian-born U.N. official told reporters. "Christmastime should remind many Western countries at least, [of] how rich we have become."

Exactlty, he has become rich via the UN, so more wealth should be spread around, especially to him...

Comment

• ODShowtime
                          ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
                          My fave part was when he said we could spend more on aid if we raised taxes.

yeah, I'd love to have my lifestyle degraded further to help ungrateful ********s and ********s.

NOPE
                          gnaw on it

Comment

• Cathedral
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES!!!!

B-3, OD and Nickfresh on the same page?

Proof that there is truly a bright light at the end of the tunnel, lmmfao.

I don't speak for everyone of course, but I don't want to give more to my government, i think they could use a lot less so they learn how to manage our tax dollars more efficiently.
                            "Stingy"?, that's a laugh riot there.
                            We have given more to the world than the world has ever given to us, and in the end WE get shit on no matter what we have done as a nation for humanitarian efforts.

I feel for the 40,000+ people now confirmed dead from these quakes/floods, but to be called "stingy" while digging deep to help out?
                            Maybe we should consider a reduction in the aide package we are about to offer and say to the world once and for all that we will no longer give a shit about what happens to them if they don't start appreciating and showing some damn respect for our long history of "Saving The Day".
                            And if that is too extreme, let's adopt a policy of matching donations from other Nations and avoid being the major contributors in any event. In essence, if they want our money they had better pony-up themselves because we will no longer be the worlds punching bag during times of political conflict, or the money bags for those same nations that regularly try to punch us in the eye.

"Stingy" is hardly a word i would "ever" use to describe the US during times of hardship and tragedy across the globe.

Fuck the UN and those backstabbing fools who think they have any right to dictate to us the amount of charity we put forth.
                            They'd be better served to keep their damn mouths shut unless they intend to say "Thanks".

This idea that's it's OK to be the worlds punching bag is just fucking silly, and this American has had enough.

Comment

• fanofdave
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Jan 2004

attention U.N.:

SUCK MY FUCKING COCK

WE CONTRIBUTE SO MUCH FUCKING MONEY
                              TO EVERY CORNER OF THE WORLD AND YOU
                              HAVE THE BALLS TO CALL US STINGY?

SUCK IT LONG AND HARD

Happy Holidays, U.N.,

Comment