X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Alice Cooper

New ALICE COOPER Album A Return To Creepy Classics [Rock Hard - 05.03.31 15:14:36]

Rolling Stone (www.rollingstone.com) has issued the following report from Dan Leroy:

How serious is ALICE COOPER about making his upcoming release a "pure Alice album"? Here's a hint: The godfather of shock rock has decided to bring the guillotine back to his stage show.

So expect heads to roll once again when Cooper's Dirty Diamonds debuts this June. This isn't a concept album, like recent outings Brutal Planet and Dragontown. Instead, Cooper says, he took a suggestion from his old producer Bob Ezrin, who helmed such Cooper classics as Killer and School's Out.

"One of the things Bob said was, 'If you're just gonna do twelve songs, how about twelve great songs -- no filler? If I hear filler on your album, I'll personally come beat you to death with a hammer,'" explains a chuckling Cooper, who says he's bounced ideas off Ezrin throughout his career.

"He expects the best out of me," Cooper adds. "So I refused to write a song that you can't sit down at a piano and play -- the verse, the chorus and the B-section."

Dirty Diamonds was actually overseen by Steve Lindsey, who co-produced Cooper's 2004 duet with rapper Xzibit ‘Stand’ (off the official Olympics Games album, Unity) and has worked with Elton John, Luther Vandross and Leonard Cohen.

Cooper describes the title track of Dirty Diamonds as an "epic" similar to his multilayered 1971 song ‘Halo of Flies’. "I tried to make it as cinematic as possible -- so it's definitely got a little bit of a John Barry-ish, James Bond-ish thing," he says. "I think if this song had come out five months earlier, it would've been in the movie Sin City, because it has that kind of mentality to it."

Another new tune is ‘The Saga Of Jesse Jane’, the tale of a cross-dressing truck driver. "There's always three or four pretty funny songs," Cooper says, "and a couple of great ballads. But we pride ourselves on the rock & roll."

Cooper is preparing to debut his new live show, the Dirty Diamonds Revue, in Australia and Europe this summer, with KISS drummer Eric Singer part of the band once again. According to Cooper, the tour -- which will feature "a lot of classic hits, a couple of pretty good stage tricks and a full-out production" -- should make its way to the U.S. by September.

While he made headlines last year by calling artists who campaigned for Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry "morons," Cooper says he doesn't begrudge activist rockers their say.

"You're American, you get to do that," he says. "And now if you live in Baghdad, you get to do that, too."

You know, I haven't paid all that much attention to Alice since, oh, 1987 or so, but this might actually be promising. Should be interesting to see what comes of it.
    Twistin' by the pool.
  • blueturk
    Veteran
    • Jul 2004

Alice Cooper is the definition of the word "sell-out". He (and manager Shep Gordon ) fucked over the original band, who were also Cooper's high school buddies. They basically took the name and ran.Alice Cooper turned into Alice Manilow and the original band faded into obscurity.
    It's just my opinion, but I think Cooper's an asshole. And for him to think that any of his new material will even come close to "Halo Of Flies" or anything else from 1971 to 1973 is wishful thinking. Just the kind of thing Rolling Stone would print.
    Last edited by blueturk; 03-31-2005, 11:05 PM.

Comment

• David Lee Rocks
      Sniper
      • Jan 2004

yeah, and isnt Alice Cooper supposed to be a "christian" now? yah Alice sure, he has turned into a moron himself with all his christian babbling bullshit

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Sell out or not, pick up "Brutal Planet".

Comment

• blueturk
          Veteran
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
          Sell out or not, pick up "Brutal Planet".
          Why?

Comment

• Panamark
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

blueturk, was "Welcome to my Nightmare" the original crew ??

Sorry if I already asked you this in another thread..
            (I think I posted this question somewhere else)
            BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• blueturk
              Veteran
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
              blueturk, was "Welcome to my Nightmare" the original crew ??

Sorry if I already asked you this in another thread..
              (I think I posted this question somewhere else)
              WTMN was the first album without the original band, although the group wasn't officially told they were unemployed until after it's release.

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by blueturk
                Why?
                Ok, don't.

Comment

• stilleddiesangel
                  Sniper
                  • Oct 2004

I have tickets to see Alice, I'll let you know what it was like.

Comment

• Panamark
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by blueturk
                    WTMN was the first album without the original band, although the group wasn't officially told they were unemployed until after it's release.
                    Thanks ! I wasnt sure but was thinking it was either the last album with them, or the first without. So it was the first without. Hate to
                    say this, but its a cool album.
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by stilleddiesangel
                      I have tickets to see Alice, I'll let you know what it was like.
                      He is playing in Oz soon too... His last tour didnt go down very well.
                      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• blueturk
                        Veteran
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                        Thanks ! I wasnt sure but was thinking it was either the last album with them, or the first without. So it was the first without. Hate to
                        say this, but its a cool album.
                        You're right, it isn't bad at all. The band that he had on WTMN with Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter on guitars was great, and there are some good songs on there. And at the time, "Only Women Bleed" seemed like a mere change of pace, not a precurser to housewife Muzak like "You And Me", "I Never Cry", and "How You Gonna See Me Now". Also, the details of how Alice and Shep screwed the old band weren't really known at the time. Alice and Shep's strategy of keeping the band in the background worked to perfection, and I think the majority of the public (especially the younger generation) still give most of the credit to Alice Cooper (the singer) for the the great songs like "18", "School's Out", "No More Mr. Nice Guy", "Be My Lover" and others, even though the original band (especially Michael Bruce) co-wrote everything on the pre-WTMN albums. It doesn't help that Cooper rarely acknowledges the fact that Alice Cooper was really a band, not a singer. Lke I said, an asshole.
                        Last edited by blueturk; 04-02-2005, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• Panamark
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Sounds like the Van Halens !
                          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Rebel
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Feb 2004

Look at all the Cooper hating, jeez. I'm gonna go get the new album tomorrow, can't wait!
                            The BLASTFurnace turned me into a bitch

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                              ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Alice Cooper is my absolute favorite of all time at the moment.I Love every alice song i've heard and i've been hearing alot over the past week.

I Cant Belive Im Going To See Him In A Few Months
                              I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                              Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

Working...