X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spmusicplyr
    Foot Soldier
    • May 2004

Why was slam dunk hardly played live?

Why was slam dunk only played a couple of times?
    Was it because the range was so high that it was hard to duplicate on stage?

I think the Finland recording is par....but its still a bad ass song i wish dave would do that more.

2nd....Who here hates skyscraper and ALAE?

I read that Rikk Said he didnt like ALAE a whole lot. I've read matt white said he loved the song DAmn Good.....I've read a lot of different views on both of them.

I honestly have to say that i love skyscraper. Call it overproduced, but it's an intricate masterpiece compared to EEAS. Hot Dog and a shake is an awesome song.Hina is another good one. I think this is daves best solo album...

2nd is ALAE. It's pretty straight forward...not really moving into new ground (except for the addition of a horn section on shoot it)...
    its showtime bears a big resemblance to hot for teacher...the phrasing is nearly the same.

Drop in the bucket has some of the best lyrics i've heard....

Come to think of it, YFLM has some of the best lyrics...maybe not the songs, or daves vocal style...i actually hate his style on that and DLR band.....but the lyrics are awesome in YOu never know and You're breathin it....

ok this topic is a little all over the map but its 12:30 and ive had a lot of crown royal so i dont care.

Answer good i wanna see how all of you think...am i the only one that thinks skyscraper is daves best solo effort?

BAM.....(um, no)
    Got beef with my comments? Blow me!
  • spmusicplyr
    Foot Soldier
    • May 2004

oh sunburn is awesome on YFLM
    Got beef with my comments? Blow me!

Comment

• DaLeeRo
      Roadie
      • Mar 2005

Skyscraper is the best album.....

And Tell The Thruth is one fucking good song from ALAE.....

Comment

• canadiandlrgirl
        Full Member Status

• May 2005

skyscraper was a kickass album...'cause it has JLP on it
        my all time favorite Dave solo song and video....but my favorite Dave solo album is the DLR Band......i love king of the hill and relentless

Comment

• Wonder Twins
          Roadie
          • May 2005

Relentless Kicks ass. Good call.

Comment

• Hollywood Jesus
            Head Fluffer
            • Mar 2004

For me, there's only EEAS, ALAE and DLR Band.

I bought two others, but they're collecting dust. Best part of YFLM was Dave's drawings. Whatever "it" is, was quite diminished on Skyscraper and YFLM.

Diamond Dave went unpurchased.

I love the songs ALAE, Sensible Shoes, Tobacco Road, Wawazat, Little Texas.
            "Float like a butterfly. Sting like a B-52." - DLR=VH=
            "Rejoice in the wife of your youth. May her breasts satisfy you always." Proverbs 5:18-19.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

I love Skyscraper.
              My only issue with it was that it was overproduced. Dave and Co. are better raw. Possibly an eighties mindset.

Somebody get a call into Bill Sheehan and lets get those demos posted canIgetanAmen?
              Hallelujah.

Comment

• vanzilla
                Veteran
                • Jul 2004

I liked portions of Skyscraper (Damn Good, Paradise, 2 Fools a Minute) - but overall I think it sounds extremely dated. Dave was very much getting caught up into the pop scene of the day with tunes like "Stand Up" - and to me it just doesn't stand the test of time.

I think the guitar work on EEAS was groundbreaking - and it still sounds as fresh today as it did 19 years ago.

YFLM is my second favorite. Lyrically Dave was on top of his game and I just think that album has a good mix of classic sounds.

Not a big fan of ALAE. DLRBand however was a nice comeback, despite it's tepid reception.

Just my 2 cents. And I would like to see Dave do a few more solo tunes in the show, just to change the set list up a bit.
                Just because the title "moderator" is under my name doesn't mean I have to be nice to cunts like you. - DLR7884 to FPC

Vanzilla's New "Can't Get This Stuff No More" Video Coming Soon!

Comment

• Calderone
                  Commando
                  • Jan 2004

he can pull off slam dunk whenever he wants
                  its not so high not so difficult

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
                    Veteran
                    • Feb 2005

Listen how late he is coming in on the Finland Slam Dunk...It doesn't even matter really, he could do it if he wanted.

YFLM is HIGHLY UNDERRATED IMO...I didn't like it that well at first either, but after seeing him do those songs live, I kinda understood them more. It's like if Bob Dylan had VH as the band, it wouldn't make any sense at all....too much of everything. But YFML is balanced, where the music isn't overpowered, the lyrics and singing can be brought to the front...which is top notch.

Skyscraper...IS very '80s produced, but I still love it...with the exeption of the chorus of Stand Up...which is Dave's worst moment ever I believe.

Comment

• Last_Child
                      Commando
                      • Oct 2004

Skyscaper....It ain't bad but I don't like it that much..

ALAE I fucking Love It!!

Unfortunately I haven't heard YFLM..altough I've heard some songs Big Train, Hey, You Never Know, You're Breathing It & You're Filthy Little Mouth.
                      All of em' are awesome!
                      "With a rate of fire of over 20 rounds per second, the IMI Micro Uzi is almost as fast as Yngwie Malmsteen, and 25.4 times more musical"

Worst of all... It's true..

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Nov 2004

Slam Dunk... The Finland gig... I have one from June 26th, 1999. Is it the same that you refer to? If it's not, then I'll upload it (13 songs) with the help of a skilled pal of mine.

Skyscraper is the one I like least. Bought it when it was released, like the others. I was fond of it back then, but these days I tend to forget about it a little. Safe today in my car, driving back from work. I played "Two fools a minute" 5 or 6 times driving for cigarettes to Geneva and back. I'll never get rid of that one.

A little ain't enough is simply my favorite. Pure humorous party time music. Pure Dave. Grrrrand!!
                        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Golden AWe
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Me and my cousin are trying to make a better quality vid out of that Finland gig...I have it on VHS, recorded from TV, top class, but I've heard that the one that goes around is not of very high quality.
                          Originally posted by Cato
                          Golden, why are you FAT?
                          Originally posted by lesfunk
                          Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                          http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• DlocRoth
                            ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

That "Slam Dunk" Finland boot is fookin awesome!

Once Dave gets in the pocket, hells yeah!

One of his best solo cuts, IMO.
                            Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• Redballjets88
                              Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

i love skyscraper ....one thing i hate is when people say "dlr band is the most vh like so i like it" i dont like to compare dlr solo and vh because i think of them as too different things thats why i like skyscraper other than yflm and ddave its something i could never hear vh letting dave do like hot dog and a shake i cant see ed letting dave do that
                              R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

Working...