X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TOM_5150
    Roadie
    • Jan 2004

Ed & Steve Vai

I just finished listening to both live cuts of EVH and Steve Vai and I'll tell ya........Eddie rules!! Period. Steve has some good chops but he doesn't have Eddie's tone, innovative chops, and his riffs. Go to ClassicVanHalen.com and look for the downloads/boots. Under the live section, there is some Eddie guitar solos and man it will blow you away. I hope Dave and VH reconvenes.
  • Redballjets88
    Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

go listen to steve vai's solo work he may not be as great at improv...but he is a modern day composer the stuff he writes is amazing i could get all of his cds and sit there for 9 hours straight just listening he has imagination that evh could never have...and vai is still going and making new things and touring while eddie lives his life in a bottle
    R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• krcampbell
      Groupie
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Redballjets88
      go listen to steve vai's solo work he may not be as great at improv...but he is a modern day composer the stuff he writes is amazing i could get all of his cds and sit there for 9 hours straight just listening he has imagination that evh could never have...and vai is still going and making new things and touring while eddie lives his life in a bottle
      Steve Vai can tour all he wants, but he can never tour his way past Eddie Van Halen.

Vai doesn't even compare...it doesn't matter how you play, be it composed or improvised or what have you. It's just that you play, and Eddie is king.

Comment

• Redballjets88
        Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

nah ill take steve over eddie any day the stuff eddie does can be done people all over the place play his stuff no problem ...bc he is one trick pony man....he is alright with other things but tapping is all he is great at....vai can do it all he is amazing
        R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• academic punk
          Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

nah ill take steve over eddie any day the stuff eddie does can be done people all over the place play his stuff no problem ...bc he is one trick pony man....he is alright with other things but tapping is all he is great at....vai can do it all he is amazing
          Steve Vai is absolutely the best at what he does, but it's not what Ed did.

ed revolutionized guitar, brought in a whole new bag of tricks, but it wouldn't've mattered half as much if he didn't have the songs and the riffs and hooks (which Dave is also largely responsible for: in the early days, ed would bring in various parts, and it'd be Dave who'd say "That's a chorus, this part would be a great bridge, here's the verse" etc) to bring in a mass audience.

Steve Vai has never written a hook half as powerful as anything on the first album. (that ebing said, that's not where his talents or interests lie)

But don't mistake what Ed did for anything less than the most important contribution to rock guiitar since Hendrix.

Comment

• TOM_5150
            Roadie
            • Jan 2004

I totally disagree. I just listened to a CVH Tribute cd with various guitarists........Malmsteem, Lynch, etc........they cannot cop Ed's feel and licks note for note. Listened to Vai play VH stuff with Roth, it is just not the same. Sure Steve is a technician, but sonically no match for Ed. The bootleg I heard of Ed circa late 70s/early 80s is more faster, powerful, and innovative than Vai could ever imagine. Hands down, Eddie is the ULTIMATE GUITAR GOD!!

Comment

• DR CHIP
              Foot Soldier
              • Jan 2004

I give Ed props...the guy got ALL of us playing and influenced guitar playing probably more than anyone...

That being said...Vai is just simply better at his instrument than Ed is...especially now...

Magic Johnson influenced ALL kinds of players...he was great, but Michael was simply better...same with Ed and Steve...

Steve Vai is better than Ed....now and then...Ed just came first and for that he deserves all the credit...but as far as ability...Vai shreds Ed...

Watch the live at Astoria DVD...whew, Vai is incredible....

Comment

• HENDRIK-I
                Full On Cocktard
                • May 2005

i say that Ed has the touch and he invented a lot of things. Like Eruption. Everybody says that Vai could do that, Malmsteen could do that. Yeah, maybe, but Ed had invented that. Nobody can touch your soul by imitating what Ed had invented. So is for the intro of Mean Street. Maybe you could do that, but you can NEVER invent solos or intros like he did with the same touch.And maybe he still can. Well, for that he needs Dave.

Comment

• SNIPER
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by HENDRIK-I
                  i say that Ed has the touch and he invented a lot of things. Like Eruption. Everybody says that Vai could do that, Malmsteen could do that. Yeah, maybe, but Ed had invented that. Nobody can touch your soul by imitating what Ed had invented. So is for the intro of Mean Street. Maybe you could do that, but you can NEVER invent solos or intros like he did with the same touch.And maybe he still can. Well, for that he needs Dave.
                  yeah, what he said!

Comment

• krcampbell
                    Groupie
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DR CHIP
                    Magic Johnson influenced ALL kinds of players...he was great, but Michael was simply better...same with Ed and Steve...
                    Hey, don't forget Larry Bird...I think it's a rule somewhere that Bird and Magic must always be mentioned in the same sentence.

But right, I'm not taking anything away from Steve Vai. I like Steve Vai, but I don't know....I think that yes, a lot of it is the hook factor.

Not to say that Steve Vai can't do great things, but there are just so many memorable and amazing riffs that Eddie created. Vai seems a bit too mechanical at times...I love composed guitarists like Vai and Randy Rhoads, but something about the improv that Eddie does. I can't explain it.

Comment

• HENDRIK-I
                      Full On Cocktard
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by SNIPER
                      yeah, what he said!
                      Thanks Sniper. No votes?

Comment

• SNIPER
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jun 2004

As a guitar hero you need to be able to just go off and hope to land on your feet and if you dont land on your feet then fuck it it was cool anyway. Vai dont do that, he plays his planned out safe robot solos. Which are still very cool but its no Edward.

Comment

• HENDRIK-I
                          Full On Cocktard
                          • May 2005

Just another silly question How can I put those icons at the end of the writinglines?? Anybody?

Comment

• SNIPER
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by HENDRIK-I
                            Thanks Sniper. No votes?
                            sorry, yes, votes to you.

Comment

• HENDRIK-I
                              Full On Cocktard
                              • May 2005

Thanks Sniper. My first one. Gracias!