Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Not like I'm saying Vai sucks by any means, but between him and Ed I just have a preference for EVH's playing.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Not like I'm saying Vai sucks by any means, but between him and Ed I just have a preference for EVH's playing.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Wonder Twins
        Steve Vai is pretty awesome no doubt. However, I think if there was no Eddie there would be no steve vai. I think that steve vais sound in a lot of way is sounds like eddie.
        Says it all right there. Each guitarist was a techno-virtuoso, but ED's a songwriter, not just a "composer." ED sacrificed some of the whiz-bang piss & vineger, his speed & fire, for the overall completeness of the song.

Something a lot of people here will unjustly criticize the EDGE or KURT COBAIN for doing, but something essential nonetheless to have a successful song, not to mention a well-thought-out and balanced album. The fact that his guitar prodigy came through despite the fact that it wasn't just all about ED's guitar work shows what a great ED truly was. It's very sad he's muffled his once great playing by jamming inside a bottle these days.

I don't get that impression when I hear VAI as much. He's a great no doubt, but you can tell VAI's working over time on those EUAS songs to prove he's at least the guitarist, not that he can write a great rock song in conjuction with the band like EDDIE could, that ED is.

Comment

• Mr. G
          Roadie
          • Jun 2004

The statement that there would be no Vai if there hadn't been EVH is absurd. Someone as advanced as Steve doesn't NEED someone to come before him to further his developement. I will let Frank Zappa explain it. When Steve was 18 and playing with Frank, Steve's parent's went to a show and asked Frank if thier son was any good. Frank looked at them and said " You son is a virtuoso".

Comment

• classicdude
            Foot Soldier
            • Apr 2004

I think a lot of the EVH props are in the past-tense. Nothing he did with these last couple new songs or the latest Hagarita tour really impressed a lot of people. To me, Vai will always be remembered as Satriani's mentor and someone that toured with DLR. As far as all time rankings, personally for me it's EVH then Satch then Vai. As far as current releases/tours, etc...probably Vai, then Satriani....EVH is back there someplace. :confused:

Comment

• TOM_5150
              Roadie
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              I read on another board, regarding this subject, that TED TEMPLEMEN was once asked who was better, he said ED. He basically said EDDIE was faster AND more creative than VAI.
              I read this interview back in 91 and it is true........when asked who was the fastest between Vai and Ed, Templemen responded...... "in terms of shear speed........Eddie". Remember boys and girls, Eddie said he can play even faster, but at the volume and distortion he uses it would sound like a big fucking blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Eddie is the King of 6 Strings!

Comment

• TOM_5150
                Roadie
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                Says it all right there. Each guitarist was a techno-virtuoso, but ED's a songwriter, not just a "composer." ED sacrificed some of the whiz-bang piss & vineger, his speed & fire, for the overall completeness of the song.

Something a lot of people here will unjustly criticize the EDGE or KURT COBAIN for doing, but something essential nonetheless to have a successful song, not to mention a well-thought-out and balanced album. The fact that his guitar prodigy came through despite the fact that it wasn't just all about ED's guitar work shows what a great ED truly was. It's very sad he's muffled his once great playing by jamming inside a bottle these days.

I don't get that impression when I hear VAI as much. He's a great no doubt, but you can tell VAI's working over time on those EUAS songs to prove he's at least the guitarist, not that he can write a great rock song in conjuction with the band like EDDIE could, that ED is.
                Well said, if Ed wanted to, he could blur the eyes of folks like Vai, Malmsteem, and whoever plays like typewriters with his super human speed. But Ed writes complete songs. 30 years down the road, people will be talking about Eddie, not Vai.

Comment

• Redballjets88
                  Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

vinnie vincent is said to be almost twice as fast as evh....does that make him better?
                  R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• DR CHIP
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Jan 2004

Speed is nothing without precision and Ed gets sloppy when he plays fast...period...he doesn't have the precision of Vai or Malmsteen...

Vai, Malmsteen, and a slew of others are faster than Ed...but speed doesn't make one the best!

It's the overall package...

Take Malmsteen for instance...he is brilliant and for what he does he is the shit...but is he the best? No way...

The reason Steve Vai is SO great is because he really can do it ALL. He can play blues, he can shred, he understands theory, he is extremely creative, he sounds like Steve Vai, he can do all the other guys tricks, and just flat out shines when it comes to playing guitar...

Ed WAS a great player...great sound, incredible feel, cool style, but he was never the complete package that Vai is...ever wonder why he turned to keyboards when the onslaught of bad ass guitar players started?

I watched Ed play with Steve Morse and some other guys in a free for all jam to various styles of music and he SUCKED ASS....all he could do was the g string pinched harmonic horsie sound and the 5th and 7th fret harmonic whammy bar dive...big deal....

Ed is a GREAT rocker, but lacks the total understanding of the instrument and ability of Steve Vai...and others for that matter...

PLEASE understand...I love Ed's shit with CVH and play guitar because of the guy...so I'm not knocking him, just laying it out that there are better players...

This debate will rage forever I am sure!!!

Comment

• JoeyRamone
                      Roth Army Recruit
                      • Jun 2005

This sucks. How grade school mentality of all you posers to sit here arguing over who's a better guitar player. Eddie and Steve are unique in their own way. You can't compare artistry. Van Gogh is better than da Vinci.

Comment

• DR CHIP
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by JoeyRamone
                        This sucks. How grade school mentality of all you posers to sit here arguing over who's a better guitar player. Eddie and Steve are unique in their own way. You can't compare artistry. Van Gogh is better than da Vinci.
                        Artistry and talent are two different things...

Artistry and ability are two different things...

Mick Mars and CC DeVille both have sold 10's of millions of records and to some people they are artists too....not to me

As Anselm said, "comparatives are unintelligible without superlatives" and in this case I think Steve is the better of the two...

IMHO

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by JoeyRamone
                          Grate, another newbie aliass stirring shit up.

'Artistry' is cuntpared all the time idiot, by music reviewers, fans, and musicians themselves; it's sort of like you being compared to vaginal warts...(which is more irritating?)

BTW, fuckstump, if you actually read the posts you're bitching about, you'd find the majority agree with you. Now pull the fucking dildo out of your ass and quite being such a catty little bitch, STFU and read a little before you post moments after registering, which is highly suspicious...

Comment

• Axl S
                            Roadie
                            • Jun 2005

Steve Vai is good yea,but,he's no Eddie Van Halen
                            http://img2.vampirefreaks.com/upic/A...th/5596754.jpg
                            http://saturn5.com/darwin/beef/image...eace_sells.jpghttp://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
                            Help my mate out, check his site
                            www.freewebs.com/grishnarr

Comment

• DR CHIP
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Axl S
                              Steve Vai is good yea,but,he's no Eddie Van Halen
                              I agree...Steve actually remembers his own stuff...

Comment

• VHdamaco
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by classicdude
                                I think a lot of the EVH props are in the past-tense. Nothing he did with these last couple new songs or the latest Hagarita tour really impressed a lot of people. To me, Vai will always be remembered as Satriani's mentor and someone that toured with DLR. As far as all time rankings, personally for me it's EVH then Satch then Vai. As far as current releases/tours, etc...probably Vai, then Satriani....EVH is back there someplace. :confused:
                                if knowledge serves me right, wasn't satch vai's mentor?
                                Last edited by VHdamaco; 06-13-2005, 10:45 PM.
                                Don't FUCK With Greatness...

Comment

Working...