X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zeronumber
    Foot Soldier
    • May 2005

D-Tuna Thread

Since, I don't want to pollute the main any more than it has, I push the discussion here.

Anyway, back to the discussion. I was talking about getting a new guitar(Since a FR bridge wouldn't fit my strat,) and I want to go with some down tunning.

Here are some of the guitars I was looking into, seeing as though I wanted something as slim and light as a strat, but at the same time, could use a FR, and a humbucker...And of course, Ibanez stood out as a sour thumb.

This is the RG350EXB guitar. I like this guitar, it's economical, and it's got a pretty sweet look to it...
    Though one thing that diffetely has to be changed is the pickups.

Though, I never loaded down a new set for a HSH setup before though.
    The Roth Army needs a leader who demonstrates the three "A's",

Attitude, Awesomeness, America.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/imagep..._IRG350EXB.JPG
  • BrownSound1
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Mar 2003

I've dropped many a Floyd Rose into Stratocasters...it isn't that difficult.

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
      Veteran
      • Feb 2005

When it goes out on the strat when you break a string, is because the trem doesn't go back to the zero "start" position.

I glued a small block of wood on mine....right to the inside of the body where the block now rests. It stays in tune perfectly now.

I don't know anything about the FR types though....

Comment

• BrownSound1
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Mar 2003

A Floyd is not THAT different from a stock Strat vibrato. The thing that freaks people out is either the two studs that you have to install, or the thought of having to cut the ball ends off. People always used to talk about Floyd's being hard to set up, when in truth they are not.

With a Floyd you can do several things to keep it from going out of tune when you break a string. The easiest is to rest it against the body, so you have no pull up. There were also those Tremsetter devices that you put in the spring cavity that would return the bridge to zero. The block of wood that Big Fat Sammy referred to would work as well.

Another route is to buy some locking tuning machines and a graphite nut...this would allow you to use your standard bridge and keep you somewhat in tune. I'm not a big fan of this, but it does appear to work fairly well.

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
          Veteran
          • Feb 2005

I'm not a fan of locking nuts either...or the fine tuners on the bridge.

I had a Tremsetter...I think. It was this kind that goes inside the spring, but it broke. Thats where I got the idea for the block of wood, which works even better...and less expensive. Free if you can round up a piece of wood.

I'm sure someone else has done this too. Anything to make sure it goes back to zero.

Ever see any footage of Jimi going out of tune, then pulling BACK on the bar to get it back in tune?

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
            Veteran
            • Feb 2005

Zero... have you played an Ibanez before?

I got one for the same reason you want one...I wanted to try a humbucker in a Strat style guitar.

It played better than ANY GUITAR I've ever touched....and sounded like dogshit, especially on the clean channel.

I just can't figure out how to get good tones out of single coils and a humbucker in the same guitar...when you get the singles to sound good, the humbucker is shrill...and when you get the HB to sound decent, the singles are muddy.

Comment

• BrownSound1
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Mar 2003

Oh I've got a remedy for that problem....it is called Seymour Duncan.

Comment

• Redballjets88
                Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

ok my friend is thinking about buying an evh gitter should he buy replica or just get his fender remodleed and painted?
                R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
                  Veteran
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BrownSound1
                  Oh I've got a remedy for that problem....it is called Seymour Duncan.
                  SD w/ singles or all SD humbuckers? In other words...what configuration?

Comment

• BrownSound1
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Mar 2003

Well I would keep the same configuration...H/S/S can be quite useful. What I would recommend you do is call Seymour Duncan, and tell them about your guitar and what sound you're looking for. They will tell you what humbucker will best achieve your tone, and what single coils will match up with it.

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
                      Veteran
                      • Feb 2005

Its seems like they would just put a balanced set in at the factory...even cheap pickups can be matched up I would think.

Comment

• BrownSound1
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Mar 2003

Sure they can be balanced. However, a lot of times pickups in guitars like that seem to be missing something.

If you don't want to call, Seymour has a nice little Tone Wizard that you can input various things about your guitar and get recommendations.

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
                          Veteran
                          • Feb 2005

I forgot about the real reason I bought that guitar...to get rid of hum!

Its been sold now....I still use stock singles...cause there is NO hum with the new amp!

Comment

• BrownSound1
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Mar 2003

Let me turn on a few fluorescent lights, and we'll see how long those singles stay quiet. LOL

I don't mind a little 60 cycle hum when playing a Strat or Tele....just as long as it isn't overbearing.

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
                              Veteran
                              • Feb 2005

Its the Traynor amp...the most consistent and quietest ever!

It has some kind of hum reduction circutry built in...don't know what its callled, but it works.

Just a slight bit of hum in a couple of places, and even then its when I stand very close to the amp....with the tele.

They turned on florescent lights the other night during the show, alot of em...still no hum!

The Strat, no problems at all...I keep it in the out of phase position all the time.

Maybe I just don't notice the slight hum, after playing a Marshall for 8 years.

The Marshall became a PAIN IN THE ASS....but when there were no florescents or poor circutry in the venue, it would usually sound great...but it still continued to get more and more inconsistent.

Now it blows an internal fuse (when its turned off!) and nobody can seem to fix it.

Comment

Working...