• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Most Depressing Song Ever

What songs depresses you the most ??
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Heres an article to get things started..

Uneasy listening
    June 28, 2005
    From: - From The Daily Telegraph, list published in The Guardian

Sad ... Metallica's One makes the list at No.11 / Adam Ward HAVE you heard a song that really made you sad? Tom Reynolds, author of I Hate Myself and Want To Die, has offered his list of the most depressing songs of all time.

Here's what our users thought »
    And here is Tom Reynolds' countdown:

15. Maggie's Dream ... Don Williams (1984) Over a soporific music track, Williams sings about Maggie, a waitress who has spent 30 years working at a diner and never had anyone to go home to. It doesn't help that Maggie is the size of a whale. We're never told this but, hey, waitress, truck stop, platters of fried food? You work it out.

14. Comfortably Numb ... Pink Floyd (1979) Bassist/grump Roger Waters plays the unctuous doctor who medicates tortured rock star Pink voiced by guitarist/better singer David Gilmour. Disturbing references to pricking needles and hallucinatory ships.

13. Brick ... Ben Folds Five (1997) Many listeners, including me, first assumed Brick was about a relationship ending. We discovered later that it's about a couple getting an abortion.

12. Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town ... Kenny Rogers and the First Edition (1969) Upbeat music does nothing to obscure its creepiness.

11. One ... Metallica (1988) A frenzied metal jam underpins the screaming interior monologue of a blind, deaf and dismembered war veteran.

10. People Who Died ... The Jim Carroll Band (1980) While most punk music sounds like screaming winos crammed inside a runaway shopping cart, this violent death anthem goes way beyond the usual mohawk bellowings.

9. Sister Morphine ... Marianne Faithfull (1979) Marianne Faithfull croaks about lying in a hospital bed while waiting for Sister Morphine to appear, recalling ambulance sirens, faceless doctors and red sheets.

8. Hurt ... Nine Inch Nails (1994) This six-minute number is a woe-is-me addiction song overloaded with excessive details.

7. Strange Fruit ... Billie Holiday (1939) Musically tedious and outfitted with grotesque lyrics that exploit the horrors of lynching more than they condemn it.

6. DOA ... Bloodrock (1971) An ode to the ephemeral joy that comes from being a corpse who perished in a plane crash. It describes the searing pain in the victim's body, his blood oozing out while his mangled girlfriend lies nearby.

5. Seasons in the Sun ... Terry Jacks (1974) About a dying man bidding farewell to a close friend, his father and some girl by the name of Michelle.

4. Total Eclipse of the Heart ... Bonnie Tyler (1984) Tyler rasps her way through a million permutations of the phrase, "Every now and then, I get a little bit [insert neurosis here]", before losing it during the song's demented chorus.

3. Honey ... Bobby Goldsboro (1968) The world's wordiest dead-wife song, this is jammed full of blooming flowers, puffy clouds, singing robins, planted trees and a puppy, all of which just make you want to swallow a hand grenade.

2. The Shortest Story ... Harry Chapin (1976) The most misguided song ever written, it features the late songwriter/activist Harry Chapin adopting the persona of an African baby which dies of malnutrition.

1. The Christmas Shoes ... Newsong (2000) This serotonin-draining yuletide song tells of a disgruntled holiday shopper who encounters a lone dishevelled little boy trying to buy a pair of shoes for his dying mother.

* The rest of the top 25: 25. Sam Stone - John Prine; 24. My Immortal - Evanescence; You Don't Bring Me Flowers - Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand; The River - Bruce Springsteen; 21. Tell Laura I Love Her - Ray Petersen; 20. All By Myself - Celine Dion; 19. Woman's Prison - Loretta Lynn; 18. Prayers for Rain - The Cure; 17. The Freshmen - The Verve Pipe; 16. The Rose - Bette Midler.
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

I dont know if anyone else has ever heard it, but theres a song I
      remember from my childhood called "The little dog that cried".

Also on that same theme Old Shep, by Elvis.......
      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Hoongood
        Roadie
        • Jan 2004

From the hard rock world, Changes by Sabbath is pretty depressing.

Fly to the Angels by Slaughter is pretty sad when you realize he is singing about his recently deceased grandmother. I just heard that one the other day and listened to the lyrics for maybe the first time.

The Hurt song by NIN is much more dramatic when Johnny Cash does it, especially when you see the video.
        Yeah right she says, maybe in your dreams!

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Pretty much anything by Floyd is a bummer. Talking post-Barrett here. Think Roger Waters was definitely not hugged enough as a wee laddie.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Hollywood Jesus
            Head Fluffer
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Hoongood
            The Hurt song by NIN is much more dramatic when Johnny Cash does it, especially when you see the video.
            He shits you not.

Also, there's a difference between a song that evokes emotion and a song that bums me out. "Fly to the Angels" evokes emotion. Anything by Nirvana totally bums me out.
            "Float like a butterfly. Sting like a B-52." - DLR=VH=
            "Rejoice in the wife of your youth. May her breasts satisfy you always." Proverbs 5:18-19.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

Seasons in the Sun was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title.

And Up For Breakfast was the second.

Comment

• sammysucks65
                Head Fluffer
                • May 2005

anything by pink floyd and some nirvana songs....why were they so sad all the time?

one thing is dave and vh were nevere sad...i mean they never had any depressing songs

Comment

• bueno bob
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Everything mentioned thus far is totally pussy sad music. Totally.

You wanna check something MISERABLE out? "Hope Leaves", by Opeth. One of these days I'm going to commit suicide to that song, I promise ya that...
                  Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sammysucks65
                    anything by pink floyd and some nirvana songs....why were they so sad all the time?

one thing is dave and vh were nevere sad...i mean they never had any depressing songs
                    NIRVANA were pretty rarely sad in the songs. That's a stupid media/hair band misconception. Most of the songs have anger or real-life lyrics in them. But depressed? Maybe some...but with the usual rock 'n' roll proportions.
                    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Matt White
                      • Jun 2004

"Seasons in the Sun ... Terry Jacks (1974) About a dying man bidding farewell to a close friend, his father and some girl by the name of Michelle."

First thing that came to mind!

DAMN YOU TERRY!!!

Comment

• The Scatologist
                        Sniper
                        • Jan 2005

songs that bum you out?

When it's Love
                        The name Sammy Hagar conjures up a variety of emotions from music fans--from hate to contempt, from disgust to revulsion.

-TheSmokingGun.com

Comment

• academic punk
                          Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

I'll never forget just how suddenly depressed when I got home from Record World, took the cellophane off my new copy of 5150 the day it came out, and heard that fucking jackass bray "HEEELLLLLLOOOOOOOO, BAAAAAAAAAAAABY!!!"

It depresses me to ths day.

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Apr 2004

Floyd's Nobody Home

I've got a little black book with my poems in
                            I've got a bag with a toothbrush and a comb in
                            When I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone in
                            I got elastic bands keeping my shoes on
                            Got those swollen hand blues.
                            Got thirteen channels of shit on the TV to choose from
                            I've got electric light
                            And I've got second sight
                            I've got amazing powers of observation
                            And that is how I know
                            When I try to get through
                            On the telephone to you
                            There'll be nobody home

I've got the obligatory Hendrix perm
                            And I've got the inevitable pinhole burns
                            All down the front of my favorite satin shirt
                            I've got nicotine stains on my fingers
                            I've got a silver spoon on a chain
                            I've got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains
                            I've got wild staring eyes
                            I've got a strong urge to fly
                            But I've got nowhere to fly to
                            Ooooh Babe when I pick up the phone
                            There's still nobody home

I've got a pair of Gohills boots
                            And I've got fading roots.
                            “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Apr 2004

I just heard this one a bit ago and I balled...really hit home for me

I just love how you can "see" the whole scene through the lyrics

and the chorus is this guys friend telling him he has to move on...

The Streets - Dry Your Eyes

In one single moment your whole life can turn 'round
                              I stand there for a minute starin' straight into the ground
                              Lookin' to the left slightly, then lookin' back down
                              World feels like it's caved in - proper sorry frown
                              Please let me show you where we could only just be, for us
                              I can change and I can grow or we could adjust
                              The wicked thing about us is we always have trust
                              We can even have an open relationship, if you must
                              I look at her she stares almost straight back at me
                              But her eyes glaze over like she's lookin' straight through me
                              Then her eyes must have closed for what seems an eternity
                              When they open up she's lookin' down at her feet

(chorus) Dry your eyes mate
                              I know it's hard to take but her mind has been made up
                              There's plenty more fish in the sea
                              Dry your eyes mate
                              I know you want to make her see how much this pain hurts
                              But you've got to walk away now
                              It's over

So then I move my hand up from down by my side
                              It's shakin', my life is crashin' before my eyes
                              Turn the palm of my hand up to face the skies
                              Touch the bottom of her chin and let out a sigh
                              'Cause I can't imagine my life without you and me
                              There's things I can't imagine doin', things I can't imagine seein'
                              It weren't supposed to be easy, surely
                              Please, please, I beg you please
                              She brings her hands up towards where my hands rested
                              She wraps her fingers round mine with the softness she's blessed with
                              She peels away my fingers, looks at me and then gestures
                              By pushin' my hand away to my chest, from hers

Dry your eyes mate
                              It's over

And I'm just standin' there, I can't say a word
                              'Cause everythin's just gone
                              I've got nothin'
                              Absolutely nothin'

Tryin' to pull her close out of bare desperation
                              Put my arms around her tryin' to change what she's sayin'
                              Pull my head level with hers so she might engage in
                              Look into her eyes to make her listen again
                              I'm not gonna fuckin', just fuckin' leave it all now
                              'Cause you said it'd be forever and that was your vow
                              And you're gonna let our things simply crash and fall down
                              You're well out of order now, this is well out of town
                              She pulls away, my arms are tightly clamped round her waist
                              Gently pushes me back and she looks at me straight
                              Turns around so she's now got her back to my face
                              Takes one step forward, looks back, and then walks away

Dry your eyes mate
                              It's over

I know in the past I've found it hard to say
                              Tellin' you things, but not tellin' straight
                              But the more I pull on your hand and say
                              The more you pull away

Dry your eyes mate
                              But you've got to walk away now.
                              “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

Working...