• Show
Clear All
  • Keeyth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Apr 2004

Calif. gov. makes $1M a year as consultant

Calif. gov. makes $1M a year as consultant

Updated: 9:52 a.m. ET July 14, 2005
    SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is being paid $1 million a year as a consultant to a company that publishes fitness magazines, a deal critics say is a serious conflict of interest for the former bodybuilding champion.

The payments, revealed Wednesday in filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, are from American Media Operations, a subsidiary of the company that publishes magazines including Flex and Muscle & Fitness.

Critics say the contract is a conflict of interest because Schwarzenegger’s pay comes from advertising revenue and the magazines often feature ads about dietary supplements.

The governor last year vetoed a bill that would have imposed government regulations on the dietary supplement industry.

Conflict of interest?

Bill sponsor Sen. Jackie Speier, a Democrat, called on Schwarzenegger to cut off all ties with the magazines. “Whether it is an actual conflict or not, it certainly gives the appearance of being a conflict,” Speier said.

Independent political observers agreed, saying the contract showed a lapse in judgment by the Republican governor.

“This is one of the most egregious apparent conflicts of interest that I have seen. This calls into question his judgment as to who he is working for, and it calls into question what he thinks he owes the public,” said Larry Noble, executive director for the Center for Responsive Politics in Washington, D.C.

State law allows elected officials to keep outside jobs.

Margita Thompson, the governor’s spokeswoman, said Schwarzenegger had disclosed all his financial holdings and added that the deal with the fitness magazines does not represent a conflict of interest.

“The governor did not direct sales or marketing activities of American Media and did not have personal contact with any advertisers to generate the advertising revenue,” she said.

Schwarzenegger’s consulting contract calls for him to receive 1 percent of the magazines’ ad revenue each year for five years, a sum that could total $8 million.

Schwarzenegger announced last year that he had agreed to serve as executive editor for Muscle & Fitness and Flex. He writes monthly columns for both, but his salary for those jobs has not been revealed.

Knowing and believing are two very different things.

It is the difference between the knowledge we accrue... ...and the knowledge we apply.
  • Big Train
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Nope

Comment

• BigBadBrian
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Re: Calif. gov. makes $1M a year as consultant

Originally posted by Keeyth

State law allows elected officials to keep outside jobs.

Damn, the law is a bitch, huh?

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• academic punk
        Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Funny thing is here In NY police officers aren't even allowed to moolight as bouncers or doormen for bars or nightclubs b/c of the conflict of interest there.

Need I remind anyone that there is far less money in being a police officer and working in a nightclub, than in Arnold's situation?

The law might abide it, but that doesn't make it ethical.

(after all, who designs the laws okaying elected officials to have outside income, but not police officers?)

Comment

• Big Train
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

I can see that, in the case of nightclub working. Taking a job outside the scope of our regular duties makes more sense to me.

We have Rampart to enjoy all the scandals of being bodyguards and bouncers.

Comment

• Keeyth
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Apr 2004

Re: Re: Calif. gov. makes $1M a year as consultant

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
            Damn, the law is a bitch, huh?

The key here is this:

Schwarzenegger’s pay comes from advertising revenue and the magazines often feature ads about dietary supplements.

The governor last year vetoed a bill that would have imposed government regulations on the dietary supplement industry.

Conflict of interest?

Think about it...
            Knowing and believing are two very different things.

It is the difference between the knowledge we accrue... ...and the knowledge we apply.

Comment

• Big Train
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

No not really. The law was written in a very convulted way, banning any and all performance enhacers, regardless if they were classified as a steroid, which is the real issue. Met-Rx isn't going to kill anybody...unless chalk like taste kills you.

He vetoed it because it made no distinction. I agree.

It has no conflict of interest with his public duties as governor in anyway. The fact that he even cares about fitness at all, more than any other lawmaker in california, and actually is knowledgeable about the law he vetoed, gets points in my book.

BTW, he did relent today and gave it up. Whine to win libs...whine to win. Good thing 5 million is pocket change to him.

Comment

• Cathedral
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

It doesn't matter anyway, I guarentee that he won't win another term as Guvna.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                  No not really. The law was written in a very convulted way, banning any and all performance enhacers, regardless if they were classified as a steroid, which is the real issue. Met-Rx isn't going to kill anybody...unless chalk like taste kills you.

He vetoed it because it made no distinction. I agree.

It has no conflict of interest with his public duties as governor in anyway. The fact that he even cares about fitness at all, more than any other lawmaker in california, and actually is knowledgeable about the law he vetoed, gets points in my book.

BTW, he did relent today and gave it up. Whine to win libs...whine to win. Good thing 5 million is pocket change to him.
                  I think it's good that Ah-nold understands this particular issue, being an ex professional body builder himself.

And being a supporter of natural medicines myself, I'd probably agree with him on the issue.

But that still doesn't mean a sitting governor should be taking money or acting as a spokesman or advocate for the supplement industry.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• academic punk
                    Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by FORD

a sitting governor should (not) be taking money or acting as a spokesman or advocate for the supplement industry.

That's the core of the issue right there.

And considering what a heated, public issue supplements are, this was a little reckless on his part. He HAD to know, even just from a PR perspective, how this could be perceived.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Let them pay me $1.5 million a year, and I'll advocate the Hell out of it, as long as it's not steroids
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

Ethics 101.

The Guvanator = F+
                        http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                        http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• Big Train
                          Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

How is he being a spokesman for the industry? He is (was) being paid by a magazine to essentially write columns? If he was in a Met-Rx or GNC ad, you might possibly get me to agree. He had a deal with a magazine that does have ads from LEGAL supplement companies. In what way is this unethical?

Why even let elected officials have outside jobs of any kind? You could get all kinds of Dems and Repubs on this issue. Working as a consultant for any number of industries. Repeal that law and you may be on to something.

Comment

• thome
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Mar 2005

Hes just modeling Jeez, back off freeks.I remember when i was
                            the toast of the male modeling world and i didnt get A MILLION.
                            Jus a gigaloo baby!!! YEAHHH

Comment

• academic punk
                              Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                              How is he being a spokesman for the industry? He is (was) being paid by a magazine to essentially write columns? If he was in a Met-Rx or GNC ad, you might possibly get me to agree. He had a deal with a magazine that does have ads from LEGAL supplement companies. In what way is this unethical?

The magazine's revenue is being generated by the supplement industry. If he were to put laws in place restrictive to supplements, then they'll either a) not have the money to advertise in his mags, or b) they'll take their ad money elsewhere.

Kind of like what's happeneing with Time now. Since turning over Cooper's notes re: the plame leak timeline, no one will talk to the mag or its writers anymore.

Comment

Working...