• Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

A CHINESE General Said what?

Chinese General Threatens U.S. Over Taiwan
    Friday, July 15, 2005 6:44 AM EDT
    The Associated Press
    By JOE McDONALD

BEIJING (AP) — A Chinese general said Beijing might respond with nuclear weapons if the United States attacked China in a conflict over Taiwan, news reports said Friday.

The comments could add to tensions with Washington at a time of U.S. worries about China's military buildup and the proposed takeover of the oil company Unocal Corp. by a Chinese state-run company.

"If the Americans draw their missiles and position-guided ammunition into the target zone on China's territory, I think we will have to respond with nuclear weapons," Maj. Gen. Zhu Chenghu, a dean at China's National Defense University, told visiting Hong Kong-based reporters. His remarks were reported by The Asian Wall Street Journal and The Financial Times.

Zhu stressed that he was expressing a personal view, not official policy, and was confident that China and the United States would not go to war, the reports said. While Zhu is a serving officer, he isn't involved in policymaking.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry didn't respond to requests for comment on the general's remarks. A woman who answered the phone at the protocol office of the Defense Ministry said it had no comment. She refused to give her name.

China claims Taiwan, which split from the mainland in 1949, as part of its territory and has threatened to invade if the self-governing island declares formal independence or puts off talks on unification.

Also Friday, the visiting president of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso, called on Beijing to open direct talks with Taiwan, saying it would help to promote peace in East Asia.

"The international community would welcome China starting a direct dialogue with Taiwan as a sign of great maturity," Barroso said in a speech at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, the government's main think tank.

China has a "particular responsibility for peace and security in East Asia," Barroso said. "Both the region and the world as a whole cannot afford conflict in East Asia."

Zhu was responding to a question about how China might react to U.S. involvement in a conflict with Taiwan, the Journal said. The United States is Taiwan's biggest arms supplier and could be drawn into fighting to help defend the island.

"If the Americans are determined to interfere ... we will be determined to respond, and we Chinese will prepare ourselves for the destruction of all cities east of Xi'an," a major city in central China, Zhu said.

"Of course the Americans will have to be prepared that hundreds of, or two hundreds of, (or) even more cities will be destroyed by the Chinese," he said.

The general said his comments were "my assessment, not the policy of the government," the Journal said.

In Washington, witnesses at congressional hearings this week criticized the bid by Hong Kong-based CNOOC Ltd. to take over Unocal as a strategic effort by China to gain control of foreign energy supplies.

China exploded its first nuclear weapon in 1964 and has an arsenal of missiles that can carry nuclear warheads.

China has a "no first strike" nuclear policy, but according to the Journal, Zhu said he believed that applied to non-nuclear powers and could be changed.

The general said China has no intention of getting into an arms race with the United States, noting the experience of the former Soviet Union as evidence of the futility of doing so, the report said.
  • Phil theStalker
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Re: A CHINESE General Said what?

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    Chinese General Threatens U.S. Over Taiwan
    Friday, July 15, 2005 6:44 AM EDT
    The Associated Press
    By JOE McDONALD

BEIJING (AP) — A Chinese general said Beijing might respond with nuclear weapons if the United States attacked China in a conflict over Taiwan, news reports said Friday.

The comments could add to tensions with Washington at a time of U.S. worries about China's military buildup and the proposed takeover of the oil company Unocal Corp. by a Chinese state-run company.

"If the Americans draw their missiles and position-guided ammunition into the target zone on China's territory, I think we will have to respond with nuclear weapons,".............
    I've been telling everyboody dis..

Tell tit t2o Ford and GM..

and congress, da pres...

naw, they're in on tit..

tit's waaaaaaaaaaay t2oo late..

Nick, doo yoo think vacuum packed ammo is better? huh

Add to Ignore list

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Yez I do PHIL...Send me those bunker blueprints, will ya?':confused:

Comment

• Phil theStalker
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        Yez I do PHIL...Send me those bunker blueprints, will ya?':confused:
        You got tit..

git as mmuch canned and dry food as you can, t2oo..

Add to Ignore list

Comment

• BigBadBrian
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Phil theStalker
          You got tit..

git as mmuch canned and dry food as you can, t2oo..

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Phil theStalker
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
            SPAM [/B]
            Put a little Flax seed on dat, BBB.

Add to Ignore list

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I wonder how much money the Carlyle Group division of BCE has invested in Chinese weapons that might someday be used against us?
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• knuckleboner
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

this is surprising?

isn't that the whole point of a nuclear deterant?

"don't attack us, or we'll nuke you."

Comment

• Cathedral
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

Oh, so Generals are the one's who make the decision to use nukes in China?

In the first place, we are in no way shape or form going to attack China over little Tiawan.

Or let me put it this way, an attack on China would be the very last thing America ever does.
                  There is no way we could even think we could beat them without the help of ALL our Allies, and even then, i doubt we would win.

Yes, you read me right, China is one country I suggest we don't start fucking with, period.

Comment

• Mezro
                    Full Member Status

• May 2004

Why is this a surprise?

Taiwan is not our business and if we stick our noses in it, China will blast it off.

Anyone familiar with Chinese culture are aware of a few key points: 1. the Chinese are not known for forgiveness or mercy. 2. They don't fear shit 3. They put the good of country before personal needs. 4. They have a level of discipline most of us can't even comprehend. 5. Even in the rare event they lose, they will not forget and figure out a new way to win.

To summarize: the Chinese are rice powered Terminators. We will fucking have our asses handed to us ten times over.

Mezro...China already owns us...the Wal-Mart crowd are just too uneducated to see it...
                    Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

• Cathedral
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mezro
                      Why is this a surprise?

Taiwan is not our business and if we stick our noses in it, China will blast it off.

Anyone familiar with Chinese culture are aware of a few key points: 1. the Chinese are not known for forgiveness or mercy. 2. They don't fear shit 3. They put the good of country before personal needs. 4. They have a level of discipline most of us can't even comprehend. 5. Even in the rare event they lose, they will not forget and figure out a new way to win.

To summarize: the Chinese are rice powered Terminators. We will fucking have our asses handed to us ten times over.

Mezro...China already owns us...the Wal-Mart crowd are just too uneducated to see it...
                      Well said, as usual..............

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
                        Oh, so Generals are the one's who make the decision to use nukes in China?

In the first place, we are in no way shape or form going to attack China over little Tiawan.

Or let me put it this way, an attack on China would be the very last thing America ever does.
                        There is no way we could even think we could beat them without the help of ALL our Allies, and even then, i doubt we would win.

Yes, you read me right, China is one country I suggest we don't start fucking with, period.
                        A few nukes will take care of anybody...

Comment

• thome
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Mar 2005

Nukes couldnt stop them 1/3 world pop over there they could just
                          take off walking like locusts and EAT the world.

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

huh?

Comment

• Mezro
                              Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                              A few nukes will take care of anybody...
                              Mezro...it won't take care of the millions of Chinese already living here...they will rise up and kill everything that is white and moves...poor snow...
                              Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

Working...