X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guwapo_rocker

Stern Punks Listeners With Roth Stunt

July 18, 2005
    By Paul Heine and Scott McKenzie, Billboard Radio Monitor

If there was any doubt of Howard Stern’s ability to create buzz and work a rumor, it was squashed Monday morning. Fans eager to hear a fresh episode of the Howard Stern Show following the cast’s two-week vacation got a rude awakening this morning.

No Stern.

Instead, someone purporting to be former Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth had taken over the syndicated radio show.

There was an ill-prepared Diamond Dave commenting on Hollywood news, playing guess-that-Diamond-Dave-tune, taking calls from irate listeners. One called him a “washed up rock star” who needed to go on Ritalin. Another begged for someone to say it was all a joke.

Between it all were clips of classic VH songs, Roth’s trademark scream and a Stern show effort to portray what radio could be like without him. At one point, the Roth impersonator expressed his joy with being back in the media spotlight, saying he was “bigger than the London bombings.”

After the show’s first commercial break, someone who identified himself as a Viacom exec explained that the company had chosen not to wait until Stern leaves the company for satellite radio in January 2006 to launch his replacement. The carefully orchestrated radio theater-of-the-mind reached a peak when the faux Roth--played to a T by Billy Mirra--put a caller on the air. It was Stern, saying he received a phone call on vacation, informing him that he didn’t need to show up for work any more. Thanking "Roth" for putting him on the air, Stern berated Infinity for not allowing him to do a farewell show.

Shortly after 7:00 A.M., Stern was back behind the mic, copping to the prank and explaining to listeners that he wanted them to know what the show might be like under Roth, who has been named as a possible replacement. Adding fuel to the rumor, Stern said Infinity has hired Roth and Loveline co-host Adam Carolla to replace him.

Link
  • Polk High
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

stern is not that great, he does things to be outrageous. I honestly thing dave is smarter, has opinions and could be just as funny.
    We're gonna leave you smokin like the slow guy in Chernobyl

Comment

• Polk High
      Sniper
      • Jan 2004

i think dave would be better
      We're gonna leave you smokin like the slow guy in Chernobyl

Comment

• PFTSOF

Yep, I woke up to it. I thought it was Dave until all the callers were calling in insulting him. I did think alot of it was funny, like when the Dave impersonator said Valerie should have been on Desperate Housewives. Sounds like Howard isn't too stoked about Dave taking over. I thought they were tight?

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by PFTSOF
          Yep, I woke up to it. I thought it was Dave until all the callers were calling in insulting him. I did think alot of it was funny, like when the Dave impersonator said Valerie should have been on Desperate Housewives. Sounds like Howard isn't too stoked about Dave taking over. I thought they were tight?
          They are tight, but Roth and Stern will now be competing for ratings...so Stern will start to smear Roth probably...
          Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• PFTSOF

Yes, he already started. The basics were that Dave talks too much, that there would be too much Van Halen music incorporated into the show and that Dave is too "OLD SKOOL". There was nothing complimentary about it. They were even dissing him about being replaced by Sammy and sitting back watching while everyone else is doing. It was a slap in the face if you ask me.

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Stern has been "dissing" Dave for the last couple years. He also spoke of talking with Ed on the phone A LOT during the debacle/tour last year...........

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Yes, he already started. The basics were that Dave talks too much, that there would be too much Van Halen music incorporated into the show and that Dave is too "OLD SKOOL". There was nothing complimentary about it. They were even dissing him about being replaced by Sammy and sitting back watching while everyone else is doing. It was a slap in the face if you ask me.
                I don't think people really paid much attention to what Howard was saying. He never trashed Dave, as some would have us believe. Anyone who knows Howard's show, should have realized that that was Billy imitating Dave. We've had these "controversies" on Howard's show for years now. You had the fake Arnold Shwartzenegger controversy, the "Evil" Dave Letterman incident. The fake Ozzy (also done by Billy Mira), Craig Gass and his dead-on Sam Kinison....

I don't know why people took this as a slap at Dave. I thought it was more a slap at Infinity, who obviously let it leak while Howard was away on vacation that Dave was going to be coming to KRoc.
                Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance

as some would have us believe.
                  It's a conspiracy MAN!!!!!!!!!! THE MAN'S TRYING TO KEEP US DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• PFTSOF

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
                    I don't know why people took this as a slap at Dave. I thought it was more a slap at Infinity, who obviously let it leak while Howard was away on vacation that Dave was going to be coming to KRoc.

I don't know :confused: IMO they were giving us a sample of what they thought we could expect if Dave does the show. It wasn't very complimentary if you ask me. The callers were phoning in saying things like Dave is a washed up rock star who needs ritalin and that he was a no talent old man. If that's not a slap in the face then I don't know what is. Was it supposed to be a verbal characature? Ya know, over exaggerating the obvious? Does that make it funny?

Comment

• rochesterdr
                      Groupie
                      • Jan 2005

As someone who knows once said...there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Comment

• lafours
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Apr 2004

sterns diehard fans are gonna be overly harsh to anyone who takes the spot. Dave will be ready to handle it ....

Comment

• PFTSOF

I wonder if the people calling in were real callers? They were all pissed off that Stern was off. I'm not sure if the callers were part of the gag or actual callers???

Comment

• Kelly_Clark
                            Roadie
                            • Mar 2005

I wonder if the people calling in were real callers? They were all pissed off that Stern was off. I'm not sure if the callers were part of the gag or actual callers???
                            I don't know either... but I would have to go with that they were either

a) fake callers

or

b) very carefully screened

While there is no doubt many people will be unhappy with Stern's replacement, regardless of who it is, there will be those who are pleased with it. Also, there will be those who could care less who Stern is but will be overjoyed to have Dave on the air.

As for it being a slap in the face to Dave... I don't think so either. There are many of us Roth fan's who aren't real happy about him taking over for Stern either. I have even read on this site where Dave should consider the radio thing as a "retirement gig".

Might as well play up the negativity since its coming from both sides. Get the anger going early and maybe it will burn itself out. Besides. its a known fact Roth fans can't stand him being bashed... so how better to "rally the troops" than to start bashing the general?

Dave you either love him... or love to hate him.

And, as has already been stated, there is NO such thing as bad publicity.

Comment

• VonHalen
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Jul 2005

daves better off touring and making records that only the die hards will buy.

Comment

Working...