X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • col5150
    Head Fluffer
    • Feb 2004

Michael Anthony Bass Supreme Article....this is hilarious

I had to laugh after reading this guys review on michael anthony as a bass player, then to make it even better more idiots posted likewise follow ups.

Michael Anthony Van Halen's Bass Supreme
    Posted by Wally Bangs on January 13, 2005 05:26 PM (See all posts by Wally Bangs)
    Filed under: Music, Music: Rock - Scroll down to read comments on this story and/or add one of your own.

heres the link and below the article:

link:

Article:

Van Halen
    Van Halen
    Music from Warner Bros / Wea
    Release date: 19 September, 2000

After reading something recently about how great Paul McCartney was on bass I feel compelled to tell my own story about the underappreciated bass playing of one Michael Anthony. During my high school days my favorite artists were a mix of heavy metal and punk rock leavened with a dose of classics like the Who, Kinks, Stones, Dylan, and the Beatles. I was making mix tapes before I even knew the term, with segue ways between Black Flag and Van Halen, without even understanding how ironic and post modern some of the rock world’s more intellectual weenie type critics would take something like that. I just knew what I liked and the hell with anything else. Creem magazine was my magazine of choice and it led me to the holy altar of all that was great about rock and roll. One of the artists they seemed to like as much as myself was the juggernaut known as Van Halen. Whether it was true or just for sales circulations I can’t say, but I know they were featured often. In fact there were at least two special issues devoted exclusively to Van Halen during the David Lee Roth era.

When I wasn’t listening to the Clash, I was listening to Van Halen with the sound turned up to 11. I can’t get any lawyers to believe me, but years before Spinal Tap came out I had magic markered an 11 on my stereo volume dial because I had a loose knob (sounds like a joke should be said here). The one part of Van Halen’s sound I was mostly oblivious to was the great Michael Anthony’s bass fretwork pyrotechnics. Pyrotechnics is overstating it; it’s more like mortar shell sabotage since it’s still hard to notice. A nice set of headphones and some remastered compact discs or mint condition vinyl should lead one to give Michael Anthony some long overdue kudos. Before Eddie Van Halen joined the Neal Schon wannabe club, he was all over the place with his guitar playing, especially on the earlier albums when overdubs were kept to a minimum. Anthony kept the bedrock steady, and was unafraid to venture within the songs’ confines, often going to the edge where he’d look down and wonder just what song Alex Van Halen thought he was playing.

Michael always got a solo in the Van Halen live shows and I will have to admit not being very impressed with those. He usually got his Jack Daniel’s bass out and that was enough to get the party hearty crowd going before he even strummed a single note. Once he hit a single note, the crowd got even more fired up, so he basically played this single note over and over until he got tired. It’s a mark of rare genius to know when showmanship trumps ability. He saved his best moves for the studio and the world is all the better for it. Plus, if you get really bored and want to play a game of musical mix and match, just think if he had been the Beatle’s bassist instead of Paul. The possibilities of amusement are endless

Visit Soulfish Stew for more crazy talk

More fine reading at Blogcritics.org. Scroll down to read comments on this story and/or add one of your own. Support Blogcritics.org by shopping at Amazon.com from this page.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted by Wally Bangs on January 13, 2005 05:26 PM (See all posts by Wally Bangs)
    Filed under: Music, Music: Rock
    Wally Bangs's personal blog
    Comment on this post and/or leave a message for the author here.
    Comment 1 posted by Paul Roy on January 13, 2005 06:41 PM:
    He sure did get screwed in the mixes of those early albums. He's only a pretty average bassist if you ask me, and his solos were definately lame, but he was part of one of the greatest rock bands of the 80's for sure.

Comment 2 posted by Mark Saleski on January 14, 2005 03:36 PM:
    michael anthony's real contribution to the Van Halen sound was his backing vocals. all of those nice high parts completed the vocal signature.

Comment 3 posted by wally bangs on January 14, 2005 05:43 PM:
    Paul Roy - I have to agree that Van Halen were one of the best bands of the 80's. One of the highlights of my high school days was getting to see the 1984 tour.

Mark Saleski - The backing vocals are a huge part of Van Halen's appeal. The virtual blueprint of all the pop hair metal to come. Funny though, I remember an interview right after Dave was booted for Sammy where Eddie and Alex claim they had always wanted Sammy for the band instead of Dave and that now they could provide vocal harmonies in the proper pitch - or something to that nature.

Comment 4 posted by Brian C on January 19, 2005 04:00 PM:
    Michael Anthony is one of the main reasons I picked up the bass. The walking, bouncing basslines Mike played on the early albums were incredible. Mike always played for the song, though. When you listen to the basslines in songs such as "Mean Street" or "So This is Love" and contrast that to "Runnin' with the Devil" you recognize that Mike's definitely a rhythm section player -- he leaves the flashy finger-tappin' stuff to that other guy in the band. Oh yeah, I'd like to see McCartney down a bottle of Jack and crank the effects to... well... eleven!
  • DavidLeeNatra
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

yeah...bass player is a genius...especially on VHIII and on BOBW...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• moose
      Veteran
      • Mar 2004

My stomach grumbling when I'm hungry sounds better than MA's bass playing.............

Comment

• tydhurst
        Commando
        • Mar 2004

it is pretty poor bass playing altogether!
        Don't need a gun to blow your mind!

http://tydhurst.proboards30.com

Join my forum.

Comment

• academic punk
          Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

I remember when 5150 was released, Mike Anthony was quoted as saying, "Yeah, anyone can go out there and be a Billy Sheehan, but I like to just lay down the groove and provide the foundation".

Really? Anyone can go out there and be a Billy Sheehan? That's why when Talas opened for Halen both Dave AND Ed wanted to lose Mike and bring Billy in? That's why Billy was on the cover of both Guitar AND Bass Player magazine??? That's why Billy never had to resort to throwing his bass from a drum riser and pretend that that constituted a solo????

Schmuck. Keep swallowing Sambo's second-rate semen, you're more talented at that than anything else.

Comment

• ashstralia
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
            I remember when 5150 was released, Mike Anthony was quoted as saying, "Yeah, anyone can go out there and be a Billy Sheehan, but I like to just lay down the groove and provide the foundation".

Really? Anyone can go out there and be a Billy Sheehan? That's why when Talas opened for Halen both Dave AND Ed wanted to lose Mike and bring Billy in? That's why Billy was on the cover of both Guitar AND Bass Player magazine??? That's why Billy never had to resort to throwing his bass from a drum riser and pretend that that constituted a solo????

Schmuck. Keep swallowing Sambo's second-rate semen, you're more talented at that than anything else.

tell us what you really think, ap!

hehehe

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Think the dude who said Anthony's main contribution to CVH was providing solid backing vocals pretty much nailed it.

Anthony gets ragged on for his Bass101 stuff like the RWTD intro, and I admit I've joined in because, well, that shit is pretty funny. His live bass solos have always been a waste of concert time that would have been put to better use playing another song or two.

Anthony is a competent bassist. In terms of him being 'good' or not vs. Sheehan/Entwistle/Pastorius, obviously Anthony doesn't display those kind of chops or technique if he does, in fact, possess the capability to play like that. Anthony did the job and helped hold down the rhythm with AVH. Dave and Eddie were the focal points of CVH far as I'm concerned. Plus, Ed was such a bitchin' guitar player that there really was no need for a virtuoso bassist in CVH anyway.

Can't say I quite understand someone getting inspired by what Mikey did basswise. My suggestion would be to raise the bar a little higher.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

LMAO!!!

Actually the only bass playing the bass player did that I ever looked forward to was his solo, because there was no actual playing involved...just making it sound like a wounded dinosaur....

At one gig I saw him throw it down on the stage, and as it lay there rumbling he kicked it and spit on it...

Shows what his level of playing is....kinda "Neanderthal" LOL!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

It's so easy...a CAVEMAN could do it...

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by col5150
                    I was making mix tapes before I even knew the term
                    we ALL were, Wally. big fucking deal, don't go all Al Gore on us and act like you invented mix tapes.
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                      we ALL were, Wally. big fucking deal, don't go all Al Gore on us and act like you invented mix tapes.
                      too funny
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                        Think the dude who said Anthony's main contribution to CVH was providing solid backing vocals pretty much nailed it.

Anthony gets ragged on for his Bass101 stuff like the RWTD intro, and I admit I've joined in because, well, that shit is pretty funny. His live bass solos have always been a waste of concert time that would have been put to better use playing another song or two.

Anthony is a competent bassist. In terms of him being 'good' or not vs. Sheehan/Entwistle/Pastorius, obviously Anthony doesn't display those kind of chops or technique if he does, in fact, possess the capability to play like that. Anthony did the job and helped hold down the rhythm with AVH. Dave and Eddie were the focal points of CVH far as I'm concerned. Plus, Ed was such a bitchin' guitar player that there really was no need for a virtuoso bassist in CVH anyway.

Can't say I quite understand someone getting inspired by what Mikey did basswise. My suggestion would be to raise the bar a little higher.
                        Exactly. Well said. As a bass player, I put Danny Partridge ahead of MA in terms of inspiration.

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Soul Reaper
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by academic punk

Billy Sheehan owns. Lay the foundation??!!

E...E...E...E...next note...E
                          ROTH ARMY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=RothArmyVideos

"May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face." - Frank Zappa to Tipper Gore

Comment

• Hardrock69
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                            Exactly. Well said. As a bass player, I put Danny Partridge ahead of MA in terms of inspiration.

LMFAO!!

Comment

• col5150
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Feb 2004

i thought that it was pretty much gospel that Mike Anthony's 'studio licks' were layed down without Michael anthony actually being there.

Michael Anthony in the studio AKA Eddie with a stripey bass guitar??

Comment

Working...