Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

Michael Anthony is the Yes man of Van Halen.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Brett
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

BTW I sat two inches from Mike at an Atomic Punks show he played at a few years when he was warming up real quickly. Let's just say I guarantee you he's a better bass player than anyone on this web site. I have little doubt.

Some of you just talk out of your fucking ass.

And most of you can't play shit. Let's hear your fucking chops.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Brett
        BTW I sat two inches from Mike at an Atomic Punks show he played at a few years when he was warming up real quickly. Let's just say I guarantee you he's a better bass player than anyone on this web site. I have little doubt.

Some of you just talk out of your fucking ass.

And most of you can't play shit. Let's hear your fucking chops.
        If you personally attack or insult another individual, and I SEE IT, you will be warned once, then you will be banned the second time. No reprieve. If you can't debate and argue like adults without resorting to petty attacks, you will not be welcome here anymore. Enough is enough. And don't email me or say on the board that "So and so said this 4 weeks ago and you did nothing." If I don't see the post when I happen to be on the board, then I'm not going to do anything about things in the past. Think of it like speeding in your car. You get away with it all the time, but once in a while the cop pulls you over. Same thing here, if someone is constantly attacking other users eventually I will see if I've been missing it. If you can't have the Sam/Dave war without resorting to childish attacks and petty name-calling, you won't be posting here anymore. If you don't agree or like this policy, don't post here anymore.

brett...you nasty, nasty boy...
        Roth Army Icon
        First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• BrownSound1
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Mar 2003

I've always thought Mike was a better bassist than what he was allowed to be. I also don't believe EVH did most of the bass work on the albums either, but I do believe he pretty much dictates what Mike can do.

Do I think MA is in the same league as Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Geddy Lee, etc? No. However, I think he's a solid player, which when it comes to playing bass is important above all else. Having chops is all fine and dandy, but give me a guy who plays bass and not guitar on bass any day of the week. John Paul Jones is a great example of someone who has the chops to play anything, but knows the role of the bass. I'd take him over Billy Sheehan in a heartbeat.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BrownSound1
            I've always thought Mike was a better bassist than what he was allowed to be. I also don't believe EVH did most of the bass work on the albums either, but I do believe he pretty much dictates what Mike can do.

Do I think MA is in the same league as Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Geddy Lee, etc? No. However, I think he's a solid player, which when it comes to playing bass is important above all else. Having chops is all fine and dandy, but give me a guy who plays bass and not guitar on bass any day of the week. John Paul Jones is a great example of someone who has the chops to play anything, but knows the role of the bass. I'd take him over Billy Sheehan in a heartbeat.
            what you say...ed once said that the typical structure of a rock song is that drums and bass go together while the guitar is "free" but in VH the sisters were used to take this part as they always played together. so from the very early days bass player's part in the band was limited to back up the guitar.

it's funny, because the bass player in my band never learned to play the guitar (when we started the band we were all just friends and needed somebody on the four strings and he said, ok I'll do it) and he is great. he grew up on steve harris, can play all the fast stuff (never uses a plec just fingers), does some pretty moves sometimes but never pushes to be "in front"...perfect bass player...
            Roth Army Icon
            First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Redballjets88
              Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

i wouldnt because sheehan plays bass 1 million times better in either way of playing people act like sheehan was tapping for 4 minutes straight in every song when he is 98% of the time playing bass lines and then a solo
              R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

I was not originally impressed by Slash when I first heard Runs 'n' Goses. But I had a short conversation with him ("Hi!") at FM Station one night in the Valley. A little while later he got up and wailed.

I am sure Mikey can probably play better than what is on the VH records. However if he is that fucking good, we would have heard better stuff out of him by now. I have never heard anything by him that impressed me.

Comment

• Casemeister
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by BrownSound1
                  I've always thought Mike was a better bassist than what he was allowed to be.
                  Amen. He knows that, musically, the band has always been EVH's. If Mike played fancy bass parts, EVH would start to look a little less impressive. He knows what his job is and he does it well. His backing vocals are where he's "allowed" to shine.
                  Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002. RIP, Hoss!

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

Mother fucker, puh-leeze!

"His vocals shine"...wtf?!

When?

What song has bassplayer written?

Where's his solo albums?

You can't tell me he hasn't had the time. You want to brag that he has talent, but the only thing he has is Van Halen/Van Hagar/Gay Halen!

Even Spammy McGaygar was able to release some "music" other than the crap with Edwad! Where's bassplayer and his all-star jam band?

STFU!
                    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

Working...