Clear All
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Wiccan Priestess Loses High Court Appeal

Wiccan Priestess Loses High Court Appeal
    By GINA HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer
    Tue Oct 11,10:24 AM ET

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court rejected an appeal on Tuesday from a Wiccan priestess angry that local leaders would not let her open their sessions with a prayer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Instead, clergy from more traditional religions were invited to pray at governmental meetings in Chesterfield County, Va., a suburb of Richmond.

Lawyers for Cynthia Simpson had told justices in a filing that most of the invocations are led by Christians. Simpson said she wanted to offer a generalized prayer to the "creator of the universe."

Wiccans consider themselves witches, pagans or neo-pagans, and say their religion is based on respect for the Earth, nature and the cycle of the seasons.

Simpson sued and initially won before a federal judge who said the county's policy was unconstitutional because it stated a preference for a set of religious beliefs.

Simpson lost at the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which found that the county had changed its policy and directed clerics to avoid invoking the name of Jesus.

The Supreme Court is already hearing one religious case this fall. That cases raises the question of whether federal agents can stop a church from using hallucinogenic tea in its religious services. But this case would have provided a better opportunity for the court and new Chief Justice John Roberts to deal with government and religion.

Simpson is a member of a group known as the Broom Riders Association.

The county "issues invitations to deliver prayers to all Christian, Muslim, and Jewish religious leaders in the country. It refuses to issue invitations to Native Americans, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, Wiccans, or members of any other religion," justices were told in her appeal by American Civil Liberties Union lawyer Rebecca Glenberg.

The county's attorney, Steven Micas, said that the county's practice was in line with the Supreme Court's endorsement of legislative prayer as long as it did not proselytize, advance or disparage a particular religion.

The case is Simpson v. Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors, 05-195.

Link
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Fucking Satanist...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Wicca is a great religion! Hardly about Satan!

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Bullshit...

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Wicca has nothing whatsoever to do with Satanism.

And right wingers shouldn't applaud this because an attack on religious freedom for some, is an attack on religious freedom for all.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by FORD
            Wicca has nothing whatsoever to do with Satanism.

And right wingers shouldn't applaud this because an attack on religious freedom for some, is an attack on religious freedom for all.
            Yeah, they sit there and bitch and cry about not being able to officially pray in schools, no Ten Commandment monuments in courthouses, and then about anybody finding the least bit double standard in their beliefs...

Well, I'm gonna' pray to "The Dark One" for your souls.

Comment

• rustoffa
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

From what I've seen, the wicca bitches look harmless. I couldn't tell if they were witches or granolas. It's funny, I ran across the wiccas' @ a dog weight-pull deal. It's an ADBA sanctioned thing exclusively for American Pit Bull Terriers. In short, what I thought were granola hippie lesbos were actually wiccas (wiccans). I asked them about their take on Manifest Destiny and shit.

They kept changing the subject and asked about my dog's bloodline. I told them it was linebred Chivo/Candy stuff and that the grandsire to the male was a belly brother of "Happy Jack."

That was basically the end of it. They just acted weird and packed their shit up.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

They are evil...

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Exactly what is "evil" about it? :confused:
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Dude, you're an idiot...

You're no Christian at all...

New Orleans is full of these people, or was, and I imagine Seattle is too...

Let me remind you, A Christian is one who has been baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and who has made a personal, free-will decision to commit himself and all his or her life to our Lord and God and Savior, Jesus Christ...
                    Maybe Wiccans believe in the same God as I do, I don't know about you, you seem to think Allah is the same God and that's pure bullshit...

Maybe I am wrong in calling Wiccans evil, as I am not very knowledgable, but I will look into it...

I do, however know something about Islam and Catholicism...

The former being total bullshit with the latter a close second...

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

So far I have learned the following...

Wicca has a dual Divinity (God and Goddess)....

Christianity clearly has a single God....

This single point alone is enough to put the two religions at odds with each other...

Wiccans believe that being a 'Witch' is not evil but ancient and positive...

What does the Bible say about that ??

American Standard Version "Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live."
                      The Answer: Put to death any woman who does evil magic.
                      Amplified Bible: You shall not allow a woman to live who practices sorcery.
                      Good News Version: Put to death any woman who practices magic.
                      James Moffatt Translation: You shall not allow any sorceress to live.
                      Jerusalem Bible: You shall not allow a sorceress to live.
                      King James Version: Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
                      Living Bible: A sorceress shall be put to death.
                      Modern Language Bible: Allow no sorceress to live.
                      New American Bible: You shall not let a sorceress live.
                      New American Standard Bible: You shall not let a sorceress live.
                      New Century Version: Put to death any woman who does evil magic.
                      New International Version: Do not allow a sorceress to live.
                      New Living Translation: A sorceress must not be allowed to live.
                      New Revised Standard Version: You shall not permit a female sorcerer to live.
                      New World Translation: You must not preserve a sorceress alive.
                      The Promise: Contemporary English Version: Death is the punishment for witchcraft.
                      Revised Standard Version: You shall not permit a sorceress to live.
                      Revised English Bible: You must not allow a witch to live.

Is that enough ??

Probably not...

You think being gay is ok...

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yes, and you believe that a 5,000 year old book that claims bats are birds was written by GOD!
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Oh fuck off, Mr. Christian...

You repeat yourself over and over...

Give us a fucking break!

Fuck!

Comment

• rustoffa
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Y'all should go read this shit I posted about Mikey busting his fucking ass on the beach @ Easter Island. There's no parallels, but it's funny as shit.

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Dude, you must be drunk...

Comment

Working...