Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Not Dave's Best Review

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Sirius Satellite and XM Radio’s Newest Marketing Tool: David Lee Roth

By: David Schultz

When Howard Stern moved to Sirius Satellite Radio, he became Sirius' strongest argument for attracting people away from terrestrial radio. In the last two weeks, a surprising entrant has emerged to challenge Stern as satellite radio's greatest marketing tool: David Lee Roth.

Since taking the commercial airwaves on January 3rd, Roth's inaugural broadcasts have been scatterbrained messes with little to no coherent thought being applied to the subjects discussed during the most misguided call-in show in recent history. In the absence of guests, well, to be fair, interesting guests, Roth must carry the show with his wit and charm. Instead, Roth falls back on stories of his recent exploits as a New York EMT and rehashes old grudges with Sammy Hagar and Eddie Van Halen. In 1985, when Roth oozed charisma, this might be interesting. In 2006, it's painful radio.

The majority of Roth's show revolves around his monologues on political and social issues. At the core of Roth's problems is his lack of pedigree to credibly offer opinions on many of the weighty issues he wants to discuss. Roth wants listeners to buy into the belief that he is an intelligent, thoughtful social critic without making any effort to build up such a rapport with his audience. To most listeners, David Lee Roth is an increasingly irrelevant, aging rock star. America likely cares no more for his thoughts on President Bush's policies or legislative enactments than they would about Courtney Love's views on health care or Paris Hilton's thoughts on the amendments to the tax code. Before his predecessor Howard Stern confronted politics, he had earned the trust of his audience, generally reserving his strongest, most lucid opinions for issues within his bailiwick as a performer (e.g. censorship, the FCC) or as a longtime New Yorker (e.g. daytime highway construction, living in New York after 9/11).

Roth attempts to confront and discuss a wide variety of issues on his show, inviting listeners to call in and join the discussion. When the subjects are entertainment related, especially with respect to musician's behavior, Roth is in his element, obviously having a large reservoir of knowledge on the topic. When he wants to discuss politically charged issues like the recent New York City transit strike or the war in Iraq, Roth's glib, easy answer persona fails him to miserable, horrific degrees.

When discussing weighty topics, he sounds like a moderately educated person simplistically and unconvincingly arguing about issues that are beyond the full breadth of his comprehension. In relating his views on the Iraqi War, Roth mashed his thoughts on Bush's reasons for going to war, America's conduct of the war and our continued presence in the country into one muddled, confusing argument. Before you could make an effort to parse through what Roth thought he was trying to say, Linda, one of his foils chimed in, a la Britney Spears, that she follows and believes in whatever our President does because it's wartime, he's our Commander In Chief and deserves our respect and trust without question. When a listener phoned in to chide Linda for her slavish worship, Roth dismissed the caller thanking him for calling in to humiliate himself, leaving his friend's blind allegiance unquestioned.

In the 80s, Roth showed enormous charisma and a sense of humor in his "Diamond Dave" persona. Sadly, all of those character traits are absent from his morning program. When the discussion turns to the music and entertainment industry, Roth shows glimmers of interest. Given that Van Halen continued under the same name after Sammy Hagar replaced Roth, his views on whether a Freddie Mercury-less band should still call themselves Queen had some weight behind them, even if tinged by his remaining bitterness for those who participated in Van Halen version 2.0. Similarly, when Roth confronted an author who had written a book about an extraterrestrial influence in rock and roll, Roth relied on his own experiences with egocentric musicians to express skepticism in the author's thin premise.

Unfortunately for his audience, Roth rarely stays grounded in areas he can comfortably and knowledgably discuss. An early diatribe against gun control, early in his first week on the air, typified Roth's elocutionary failures. In supporting his view that America requires better education on guns rather than gun control, Roth told a surprisingly riveting tale of a delusional ex-convict attempting to kidnap his father, a 56-year-old physician, at gunpoint. The incident, which occurred in his father's medical office, concluded with his father disarming the kidnapper with his bare hands before escaping out a back door. Throughout this story, Roth remained completely oblivious to the fact that he supported his argument for the unlimited right to purchase weapons with an anecdote involving an unarmed man in his mid-fifties (albeit with a black belt in karate) eluding a psychopathic gunman without the use of a weapon which Roth wishes everyone to have free access. Ignoring the fact that restricting weapons might have prevented his father from having one pointed at him, Roth proudly announced that he purchased a gun and slept with it under his pillow until the police captured the gunman. Regardless of whether you agree with his political views, Roth's ineptness as a political pundit or coherent social commentator predominates the entire discussion.

Unless Roth significantly improves, his time on commercial radio may be limited to how long it takes Infinity Broadcasting to figure out how to bring Adam Carolla's program over from the west coast. Somewhere in the entertainment graveyard, a crypt houses the corpses of The Chevy Chase Show and The Magic Hour. The caretaker should start preparations to receive the David Lee Roth radio program, it is arriving soon.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • audiospectrum
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2004

Wow, heavy. I really hope that this isn't at all true. It pains me to hear that Roth may have lost touch, especially dismissing the caller for pulling up Linda on her pro-war stance. Hmmm... Is this really what is going on?? Ah Dave, but your music doesn't lie.
    I'm very proud of what was that band and what was that show and what it did mean to people. It disgusts me that it has turned into the complete opposite. That it now represents everything that I spoke against, that we suppoesedly represented the converse of. I don't want to have to remember that the team turned into that. Makes me question what the team was while I was a member. Was it all bullshit? If nothing else, it confirms in my mind that from my standpoint - yours truly, David Lee - not a fraction. If nothing else, this kind of morbid, wounded animal anger aimed my way has caused me to look deep into that bathroom mirror and come back to you with "my shit was legit." It was for real. And perhaps the test is time. Because here I am, a decade and a half later, haven't changed much. I look a little different, but not much. My sense of humour is about the same.

Comment

• Brett
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Be careful man, posting reviews like this calls out the dogs.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Brett
        Be careful man, posting reviews like this calls out the dogs.
        I hear ya, B....

But I'm just the messenger. When I get a google alert under DLR News I post it if it hasn't already been done....

Dave's a big boy, and can take the heat if it comes, and I'm all in favor of hearing The Good, The Bad, and The Coyote Ugly.....

I'm just sayin......don't shoot the messenger.

I've been foursquare against this gig from the git-go, and my views on the sleeze that are "radio personalities" is well known.

I prefer to remember Dave as he was/could be........

The motherfuckingist motherfucking frontman that ever fucking walked.

I'd rather he taken up professional alligator rasslin' than being a fucking D-J

Which is why I'll never, ever, ever listen to 2 seconds of it.

But I will post anything that comes across that may be post-worthy.

But I hear ya, bro

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
          When discussing weighty topics, he sounds like a moderately educated person simplistically and unconvincingly arguing about issues that are beyond the full breadth of his comprehension. In relating his views on the Iraqi War, Roth mashed his thoughts on Bush's reasons for going to war, America's conduct of the war and our continued presence in the country into one muddled, confusing argument. Before you could make an effort to parse through what Roth thought he was trying to say, Linda, one of his foils chimed in, a la Britney Spears, that she follows and believes in whatever our President does because it's wartime, he's our Commander In Chief and deserves our respect and trust without question. When a listener phoned in to chide Linda for her slavish worship, Roth dismissed the caller thanking him for calling in to humiliate himself, leaving his friend's blind allegiance unquestioned.
          Can't disagree with a word of that. It was the worst hour of the show so far. It was kind of worrying today when his bodyguard had to tell him who Franklin Roosevelt was too.

It's a harsh review though because there is plenty of good stuff and funny shit in the show too but Roth needs to stick to light issues, drinking stories and entertainment.

Every day he says he only reads page 6 of the newspaper, the showbiz news yet seems to think his opinion on everything else is so expert that there is no other possibility.

There are arguments pro and against Iraq but Dave's pro argument is senseless saying that if we hadn't invaded then all the life support machines in the US would have had to be switched off due to a lack of fuel.

If someone says what about all the dead civilians after calling them a retard and turning them down he responds that Saddam used to kill 500 000 a day and if the US gets his oil then it's fine because the chances are someone in the US will invent a cure for cancer.

It's painful stuff but fortuntely he's only had Iraq as a subject for about 2 hours out of 48 so far.

He was saying today how the Rolling Stones new album sucked because everyone needs to listen to their producer to help them and get the best out of them totally oblivious to the fact that he fell out with his on day one of the show and when he produced Skyscraper it fucked up his solo career.

"I've been lucky with producers" he said without a hint of irony...

That said I enjoy the show and listen to all of it every day because there are plenty of nuggets of good stuff.

Cheers!

Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-18-2006, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Well said, sesh......

Comment

• Brett
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

The downloads I've listened to haven't dealt with the Iraqi war much, guess I happily managed to avoid those parts.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                There are arguments pro and against Iraq but Dave's pro argument is senseless saying that if we hadn't invaded then all the life support machines in the US would have had to be switched off due to a lack of fuel.
                Please tell me you made this part up...
                ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

He's said it at least 4 times now...

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

He was being sarcastic / facetious I'm sure......

Comment

• hitch1969©
                      Sniper
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                      Please tell me you made this part up...

NaH thats pretty much what he said. But then again like his gun argument, he contradicts at times and plays devils advocate.

I like the review. But I think the guy doesnt get it

Roth's show is fabulous if you are a VH / Roth fan.
                      ...get your hitchworld on.

Comment

• Brett
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I think if you're a Dave fan, it's great, I'm not sure VH fans really care. He spends more time ripping on his former bandmates than anything else.

Comment

• Warham
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

Well-written review.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                            Well-written review.

Hmmmmm.

I have to respect this post........having not heard 1 minute thus far.

Itch68 and Warpig concur.....well...

It sounded plausible to me

Here's my take, and you can take it for what it's worth.......which aint much.

Dave is regretting this move.

I said it.

At one time he thought to himself....."I've done everything else, and gone past 11 doing it...." ...."why the fuck not topple this mountain" It'll be a gas......

FOR THE FIRST WEEK, DAVE.

Then it settles in....... His realization that he now has a Job

Fuck, a Job

Not rescuing jumpers and delivering babies as an EMT, not belting out CVH and living life on the road...........

Going to a fucking job in a fucking office Monday through FUCKING Friday.....

" Holy Shit", Dave shouts........How the FUCK did this happen??????

He now is looking for an out, or at least a Detour.....

The caged bird rarely sings.........

Dave would have been better off being a "temporary replacement" leaving the timeframe and outs ON HIS TERMS.....

Now, if he wants out, or doesn't like it anymore, it'll be perceived as a failure, and not by his choice.

But what the fuck do I know........I'm just pissed Hitch didn't invite me to Brokeback Mountain with he, FHS, Nick, and Jesterstar......

Comment

• thome
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Mar 2005

Jeez Dudes it's a morning Radio Show

Give it some time. Win or Loose it's as good or better that every
                              other show on every other station, who Plays The Morning fukkin

ZOO!!!!. I am very interested in Daves format you cat's
                              want once again to, RULE THE WORLD.

It's not my show it's Daves and I, like you, have listened since i was
                              12 or thirteen to the fuk ZOO wackadoo BS DAY after DAY

This show is refreshing continuosly Void of Retarded People
                              being made fun of an Fecal humor.If you need me to be any
                              more candid I can't .

Your pre predictions of It's failure are just as impresive as Nostradamas "picked the twin towers to fall "your not takeing
                              a chance at all with those thin 50/50 comments.

Take a chance.... Bet me Daves show will Change every station
                              coast to coast into a stronger aproach and tighten thier asses up.

I take one !!!!!Dave or no Dave He has attracted more people to INTERNET Radio than Stern has to Sattelite.............

Internet Radio will be bigger than sattelite STERN has Fukked up and is running scared.

Roth On You Muthas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

P.c. -not- P.S..........I still luv ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...