X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Badguy
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Whitesnake "1987"

I was listening to this the other day, in anticipation of their live DVD release, and it still sounds as good as it ever did.

I can`t believe it`s nearly twenty years since it came out.

You won`t find a better example of late 80`s stadium rock.

It spent more time on the chart than any other rock album that year, no small feat when you consider the opposition ranged from Def Leppard`s "Hysteria", GnR`s "Appetite for destruction", Motley Crue`s "Girl, Girls, Girls" and erm...Kiss "Crazy nights".

ALL of the songs are excellent, from the (unfairly branded) alleged Zep soundalike "Still of the night" through the bouncey "Give me all you love" and the out-and-out Heavy Metal of "Children of the night".

Even the out-takes "Looking for love" and "You`re gonna break my heart again" are incredible.

And let`s not forget the No1 hit single "Here I go again" and THOSE videos with a bands of big haired, white teethed rock stars ( and Tommy Aldridge) and the added bonus of Tawny Kaieten spreading them on the bonnet of Coverdale`s Jag.

It`s an album that has never dated either, unlike the ridiculous production of "Hysteria", which sounds nothing like a rock band playing on stage and leaves it firmly rooted in its time.

Of course, there is a down side.

Coverdale split the band that recorded it before it came out, hiring a bunch of talented journeymen to perform the tour but jettisoning guitarist John Sykes, with whom he co-wrote the entire album. It showed how gifted the pair were on the following album "Slip of the tongue", which was nowhere near as good and dominated by the ludicrous overplaying of ex- David Lee Roth guitarist and then current megastar Steve Vai.

Yes, time has been kind to "1987" and it remains one of my favourite rock albums of all time.
    sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!
  • DLR_EngineRoom
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Badguy
    I was listening to this the other day, in anticipation of their live DVD release, and it still sounds as good as it ever did.

It spent more time on the chart than any other rock album that year, no small feat when you consider the opposition ranged from Def Leppard`s "Hysteria", GnR`s "Appetite for destruction", Motley Crue`s "Girl, Girls, Girls" and erm...Kiss "Crazy nights".

ALL of the songs are excellent, from the (unfairly branded) alleged Zep soundalike "Still of the night" through the bouncey "Give me all you love" and the out-and-out Heavy Metal of "Children of the night".

Even the out-takes "Looking for love" and "You`re gonna break my heart again" are incredible.

And let`s not forget the No1 hit single "Here I go again" and THOSE videos with a bands of big haired, white teethed rock stars ( and Tommy Aldridge) and the added bonus of Tawny Kaieten spreading them on the bonnet of Coverdale`s Jag.

It`s an album that has never dated either, unlike the ridiculous production of "Hysteria", which sounds nothing like a rock band playing on stage and leaves it firmly rooted in its time.

Coverdale split the band that recorded it before it came out, hiring a bunch of talented journeymen to perform the tour but jettisoning guitarist John Sykes, with whom he co-wrote the entire album. It showed how gifted the pair were on the following album "Slip of the tongue", which was nowhere near as good and dominated by the ludicrous overplaying of ex- David Lee Roth guitarist and then current megastar Steve Vai.

Yes, time has been kind to "1987" and it remains one of my favourite rock albums of all time.

A Classic Album. One of the best albums ever released. Right up there with Dark Side Of The Moon, Back In Black, Zep IV and Destroyer.

Saw Whitesnake a few years ago with Dokken and Scorpions. One of the most amazing triple bills I've ever heard of, let alone seen.
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Hard to beat either "Slide It In" or the 1987 self-titled album.

Wasn't as drawn to much of their other work, but those 2 albums indeed still hold up.

Comment

• Coyote
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Re: Whitesnake "1987"

Originally posted by Mr Badguy

Great post! Straight to the point and true, especially your comments on "Hysteria"...
        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Douglas T.
          Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

Check out the write up Coverdale allowed on this disc!

Comment

• Douglas T.
            Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

Sounds like he looked up to ROTH! who couldn't!

Comment

• PHOENIX
              Veteran
              • Jan 2004

Great fucking album.

Maybe i should finally get it on CD.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
                A Classic Album. One of the best albums ever released. Right up there with Dark Side Of The Moon, Back In Black, Zep IV and Destroyer.

You cannot be fucking serious?
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ALinChainz
                  Hard to beat either "Slide It In" or the 1987 self-titled album.

Wasn't as drawn to much of their other work, but those 2 albums indeed still hold up.
                  You know who I thought was singing "Slide It In" first time I heard it?

Then again, they're both cheese peddlers, right?
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                    You cannot be fucking serious?
                    It is good but hard to tell if it`s THAT good.

It did shift a lot of copies.

10 million?

It`s as good a Heavy Metal album as you`ll get.
                    sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Douglas T.
                      Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

Destroyer is GOOD but to try to compare it to any Whitesnake?! C'mon guys!

Comment

• Dirty Duck
                        Sniper
                        • Aug 2005

I never understood why so many people thought WHITESNAKE was a shit band. I always loved them. The first time I heard JUDGEMENT DAY I sware I thought it was a new Zepplin song. The vocals on that track alone should have shown people Coverdale meant buisness. Stevie Vi on guitar....c'mon...it was great! How was Coverdales last solo album? Did It even do well?

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dirty Duck
                          I never understood why so many people thought WHITESNAKE was a shit band. I always loved them. The first time I heard JUDGEMENT DAY I sware I thought it was a new Zepplin song.
                          You just answered your own question. I really didn't care for Great White, Kingdom Come, or Jason Bonham's band either, though at least he had an arguable birthright to sound like Zeppelin. Point is, if I want to listen to Led Zeppelin, I have all of their albums. Don't need no half assed clones. And certainly not ones like Coverdale who not only put tons of cheese ballads on their albums, but re-release the same cheese ballads every other album.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• NATEDOG001976
                            Veteran
                            • Apr 2004

Never say a Kiss album ranks as one of the best in the same sentence. Kiss sucks!
                            http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8...19yc8872wu.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5...0269il5.th.jpg

Originally posted by fuckhowardstern - dude - you sounded cool as a cucumber - totally relaxed and spoke with authority - must say I was a bit surprised but you sounded really at ease - super cool-like.

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra - nate, you are the fucking attention whore of the day and you DESERVE it

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise - BTW, bravo NATE! Soon Dave will mention the Army by himself!

Originally posted by franksters Have you heard Nate properly, We now moved up to an ''Organisation'' Awesome man!!
                            Roth army....more than an army....it's a gr8 Organization!!

Originally posted by Northern Girl
                            Nate, so cool. I'm listening to the Dallas feed, so it'll be coming up in a while. Can't wait!

Comment

• franksters
                              Veteran
                              • Mar 2004

I hate whitesnake!
                              SUMMER'S JUST
                              AROUND
                              THE CORNER!

[IMG]
                              http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...rs/2wbthcw.jpg

Comment

Working...