• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt White
    • Jun 2004

Isaac Hayes Quits 'South Park'

By ERIN CARLSON, Associated Press Writer
    42 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

That's ashame, 'cause Chef could be funny as shit!

But, by the same token, if Hayes is applying a double standard, then fuck him.

Nice to see Matt Stone punch back.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Matt White
      • Jun 2004

"It's all FUN & GAMES until somebody gets their feelings hurt...."

Comment

• col5150
        Head Fluffer
        • Feb 2004

i saw that episode it was funny as hell.

too bad you wont be hearing ''hello children'' any more

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

That episode WAS funny as hell...who knew he was such a hypocrite?
          Originally posted by conmee
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
          Originally posted by eddie78
          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Rikk
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

It's amazing how many people are angered by this show. It's brilliant satire. And the best satire pisses people off.
            Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
            Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• amadeus
              Head Fluffer
              • Jun 2004

Why is that all Scientologists feel this way? You see Christianity, Catholicism, Judaism, etc. made fun of all the time and when these groups protest it, they are seen as religious radicals and should recognize everybody's right to free speech but if Scientology is attacked, it has to be a major deal. Let the hypocrite go if he wants to be that way about things,.

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

So when you convert to Scientology or Islam, do they surgically remove your sense of humor?!?!
                Originally posted by conmee
                If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                Originally posted by eddie78
                I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• RuzDNailz
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Nov 2004

Sad. Really sad. How can it be truly South Park without Chef? Is
                  he going to be replaced? South Park targets all faiths and cultures.
                  Everybody takes a hit somewhere. They even pushed the envelope
                  on many different topics and inspired other shows to do the same.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

I love Isaac Hayes.

He had a reocurring role on The Rockford Files as an ex-con named Gandolph [Gandy] Fitch.

He's free to work/not work for whomever he wishes, but this does seem a bit pissy on his part.

Don't watch the show, so can't comment on content. Do they still kill Kenny in each episode?

Loved the SP/Bowling For Columbine connection in the film, though.
                    Originally posted by Kristy
                    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                    Originally posted by cadaverdog
                    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Julius
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Jan 2004

Saw the handwriting on the wall when the Scientology episode aired, I just wonder what took him so long to object.

He was probably on his way out anyway, he didn't appear in any of this season's episodes.

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by amadeus
                        Why is that all Scientologists feel this way? You see Christianity, Catholicism, Judaism, etc. made fun of all the time and when these groups protest it, they are seen as religious radicals and should recognize everybody's right to free speech but if Scientology is attacked, it has to be a major deal. Let the hypocrite go if he wants to be that way about things,.
                        Exactly. He should realize that this being his religion, centered around an alien and an author who said he could create a religion and make people flock to it, is prone to it and what is good for the goose is good for the gander.
                        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• bueno bob
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Well, he certainly never had a problem with the money.

What Matt and Trey should do is get Samuel L. Jackson...somebody bad ass and have HIM be the new Chef...

I doubt seriously that Isaac Hayes has any rights to the character...and it'd be pretty damn funny hearing Chef bust out with

"GET MY MAH SPATULA!"

"Which one, Chef?"

"IT'S THE ONE THAT SAYS 'BAD MOTHER {BLEEP}ER!"
                          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• manwiththedogs
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                            So when you convert to Scientology or Islam, do they surgically remove your sense of humor?!?!
                            Yes.

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
                              Well, he certainly never had a problem with the money.

What Matt and Trey should do is get Samuel L. Jackson...somebody bad ass and have HIM be the new Chef...

I doubt seriously that Isaac Hayes has any rights to the character...and it'd be pretty damn funny hearing Chef bust out with

"GET MY MAH SPATULA!"

"Which one, Chef?"

"IT'S THE ONE THAT SAYS 'BAD MOTHER {BLEEP}ER!"
                              best idea ever.
                              Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...