X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Iraq to probe US massacre claims, US to make findings PUBLIC

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Iraq will investigate allegations that US marines carried out a massacre of civilians in Haditha in November, the country's prime minister has said.

Nouri Maliki told Reuters news agency there was "a limit to the acceptable excuses" for civilian casualties.

The Pentagon is close to ending its own inquiries into the deaths, initially attributed to a clash with militants.

Observers say the incident could deal a more serious blow to US standing than the Abu Ghraib scandal.

According to initial US military reports, 15 civilians and eight insurgents died after a bomb killed a marine in Haditha, a militant stronghold in Anbar Province.

The civilians were "victims of a wrong operation", Mr Maliki said in a separate interview with the BBC.

"It is not justifiable that a family is killed because someone is fighting terrorists."

Speaking to Reuters, he said his government was worried by "the increase in 'mistakes'" and would ask "for answers not only about Haditha but about any operation... in which killing happened by mistake".

"We will hold those who did it responsible," he added.

The BBC's Justin Webb reports from Washington that enough material has now been leaked to the US media about events in Haditha to suggest to many Americans that allegations of a massacre are very serious and may well be true.

'Cold blood'

US investigators are looking at both the actual events in Haditha on 19 November and an alleged cover-up by troops.

The military said at the time that the civilians were killed as a result of either the bomb or a gun battle which erupted afterwards, in which the militants were reportedly killed.

But reports from Iraqi witnesses and in the US media allege that marines went on a rampage.

According to the Wall St Journal, there is evidence that marines killed civilians, including women and children, without provocation.

Several marines are likely to be charged with murder and others with attempting to cover up the incident, the newspaper said, quoting civilian and military officials close to the investigations.

One of the marines in Haditha that day, Lance Cpl Roel Ryan Briones of Hanford, California, told the Los Angeles Times he had taken photos and carried bodies out of homes as part of a clean-up crew:

"They ranged from little babies to adult males and females. I'll never be able to get that out of my head. I can still smell the blood."

Caution plea

Jim Murtha, a Democratic Congressman and former marine, has said he believes civilians in Haditha were murdered and the incident was covered up.

"They killed innocent civilians in cold blood and that's what the report is going to tell," he said.

"It is as bad as Abu Ghraib, if not worse," he told CNN television.

Gen Peter Pace, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and chief military adviser to the US president, said on Monday it would be premature for him to judge the outcome of the investigations.

"If the allegations as they are being portrayed in the newspapers turn out to be valid, then of course there'll be charges," he said.

"We'll get to the bottom of the investigation and take the appropriate action."
  • jcook11
    Commando
    • Sep 2004

Show me any fucking war where innocent people weren't killed?

"Thats the trouble with war" DLR

Comment

• jcook11
      Commando
      • Sep 2004

Were the people killed at Hiroshima and Nagasaki "innocent civilans" that were massacered?

Comment

• blueturk
        Veteran
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jcook11
        Were the people killed at Hiroshima and Nagasaki "innocent civilans" that were massacered?
        That's a lame ass comparison. Japan attacked us. Iraq didn't.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

This is going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.
          ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
          Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• jcook11
            Commando
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by blueturk
            That's a lame ass comparison. Japan attacked us. Iraq didn't.
            Tell that to the soldiers that have been killed in Iraq by the way Germany never attacked us either but I am quite sure that some innocent people were killed there also.

Comment

• knuckleboner
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

Show me any ------- war where innocent people weren't killed?

dude, the question isn't were innocent civilians caught in the crossfire and killed by U.S. bullets. it's whether or not a few U.S. troops intentionally shot them. and while that happens in every war, too, you can't just let it slide.

cnn article talks about the marines who photographed those bodies for the report

Comment

• jcook11
                Commando
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner
                dude, the question isn't were innocent civilians caught in the crossfire and killed by U.S. bullets. it's whether or not a few U.S. troops intentionally shot them. and while that happens in every war, too, you can't just let it slide.

cnn article talks about the marines who photographed those bodies for the report
                These marines were being attacked.....Its'real easy to sit here on our computers in our cozy little houses and say how we would or would not react. Until it is proven otherwise I'm with the jarheads

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

These marines were being attacked.....

You really need to do your research and READ a little more before making dumbass posts like this.....

And comparing it to Hiroshima and/or Nagasaki?

Quit huffing glue, you moron.
                  Originally posted by Kristy
                  Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                  Originally posted by cadaverdog
                  I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

These marines were being attacked.....Its'real easy to sit here on our computers in our cozy little houses and say how we would or would not react. Until it is proven otherwise I'm with the jarheads
                    Maybe it's difficult for you psycho but I know nothing would make me go up to little children and deliberately shoot them in the head.

Comment

• jcook11
                      Commando
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      Maybe it's difficult for you psycho but I know nothing would make me go up to little children and deliberately shoot them in the head.
                      If that turns out to be the case then they should be dealt with accordingly.....but until the FACTS come out I'm with the marines no apologies!

Comment

• jcook11
                        Commando
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        If that turns out to be the case then they should be dealt with accordingly.....but until the FACTS come out I'm with the marines no apologies!

Comment

• jcook11
                          Commando
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                          You really need to do your research and READ a little more before making dumbass posts like this.....

And comparing it to Hiroshima and/or Nagasaki?

Quit huffing glue, you moron.
                          What they were not being attaked ...... Oh thats right they just said "Fuck it,let's go kill some women and children"

As far as a comparison to hiroshima and Nagasaki....Do you think that all of those people were at war with America, I doubt it

Comment

• blueturk
                            Veteran
                            • Jul 2004

Tell that to the soldiers that have been killed in Iraq by the way Germany never attacked us either but I am quite sure that some innocent people were killed there also.
                            Maybe it's just that Iraq didn't attack us; Osama bin Laden did. Dubya's "war on terrorism" IS the war in Iraq. Meanwhile, bin Laden keeps taunting us, and we've convicted ONE FUCKING PERSON related to 9/11. Get your head out of your wool-covered ass and think about it.

Comment

• jcook11
                              Commando
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by blueturk
                              Maybe it's just that Iraq didn't attack us; Osama bin Laden did. Dubya's "war on terrorism" IS the war in Iraq. Meanwhile, bin Laden keeps taunting us, and we've convicted ONE FUCKING PERSON related to 9/11. Get your head out of your wool-covered ass and think about it.
                              Look I don't like a lot of Bushs'policies but as for his war on terror I'd rather fight them over there than fight them on American soil. As for obl, he will be cauhgt at some point.

Comment

Working...