Debt Relief Like Charity, Begins at home..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Train
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Debt Relief Like Charity, Begins at home..

U2 decides to join the Stones in off shore tax setups. Debt relief is good if your the common man, but not if your Bono. I mean, he is the savior after all of 3 world countries. He should be excused of his own taxes then right?

Stones reap rewards

Sid Billington
    A Brief Introduction Considering how difficult the past year has been with the pandemic in play, everyone has wished to make the following year all...

Ageing rockers have last laugh

MegaStar says: ‘Now my advice for those who die, declare the pennies on your eyes. 'Cause I’m the taxman.’

It seems that all that effort to er, avoid the taxman, has finally paid off for the Rolling Stones.

The wrinklies of rock have paid $7.2m on their earnings of $450m (£240m), according to records released in the Netherlands.

“Rolling Stones find satisfaction in offshore tax shelter,” cry the Daily Telegraph, on their front page, no less, while the Independent dedicate page 14 to the band’s earnings.

This eye-watering information came to light after the Stones decided to open two foundations in Holland to “manage the rights to their music, performances, merchandise and films and to settle the question of ownership should one of them die,” the Indy writes.

Those sly old dogs have apparently been putting all their royalties into the Netherlands since 1972, and in case you still haven’t cottoned on, the tax rate is extremely low there because there’s no direct tax on royalties, unlike in other countries.

“And the tax breaks are so good for the rockers that U2 have also now copied the Stones by moving to the same exclusive Amsterdam address on 1 June. The bands now share the same Dutch director, Jan Favie.”

As the Stones are now preparing to make their wills, the Dutch law requires certain information can be made public.

But spare a thought for Ronnie Wood, because he doesn’t qualify to have his assets managed by Dutch holding company Promogroup, as he’s only got £70m in the bank.

Our hearts bleed.
  • Big Train
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

So Ford it doesn't bother you that Bono is as much as Sweet NeoCon as Mick and the boys?

I'm suprised that haven't set up accounts IN africa, being that they are so chummy with those nations.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Like I told AssVibe when he posted about the Stones' tax dodging in another thread, it's not surprising that the rich, rock stars included, use every loophole they can find to avoid paying taxes.

I do know that the British tax rate in the late-60's/early 70's was extremely high, (like 95% or something?) and once the Stones got themselves free of Allen Klein, they set up these offshore entities. Not sure what the Irish tax tables are like.

I'm sure U2's tax loopholes don't prevent their charitable giving. It's probably just the opposite, allowing them to give more money than they otherwise would. If they were Americans, I would certainly rather see the money going to African relief rather than the slaughter of Iraqis or Lebanese people.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I not apologising for any tax dodging, but it has been reported that U2 has less money relative to other rock star bands. Mainly because their breakout 92-94' ZooTV tour was very expensive to put on, and cut into their bottom line severely. They also made some bad investments into the German amusement park industry (apparently, "wargames" like laser tag are illegal there), and they have indeed given a great deal to charity.

And if you look at what U2 has done for Ireland (keeping their organization based in Dublin, which cost them professionally at one time) as far as publicity and tourism, I don't think the Irish Gov't would complain too much.
        Last edited by Nickdfresh; 08-05-2006, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The Popmart tour probably cost them more than ZooTV did, because the returns were less.

Unfortunately, it's hard to sell a concert out 9 months in advance, even if you're one of the biggest bands on the planet. Doesn't help when you just released your weakest album either, unfortunately.

Their reasons were noble ones - they wanted to avoid corporate financing of the tour and advance sales were the only way to finance the huge stage production, that they thought they needed.

I'd see U2 at any venue at any time and I wouldn't care if there were walls of TV monitors, or giant golden arches, or if they all stepped out of a giant lemon or whatever. Shit, I'd love for them to do the club tour that they threatened to do after Popmart's less than record breaking financial performance.

Maybe they should start working some "secret" club dates into the early leg of their tours like the Stones do?
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by FORD
            The Popmart tour probably cost them more than ZooTV did, because the returns were less.

Unfortunately, it's hard to sell a concert out 9 months in advance, even if you're one of the biggest bands on the planet. Doesn't help when you just released your weakest album either, unfortunately.

Their reasons were noble ones - they wanted to avoid corporate financing of the tour and advance sales were the only way to finance the huge stage production, that they thought they needed.

You're probably correct. I think I read about them "scratching their heads" at the (lack of) ZooTV bottom line on the eve of the PopMart Tour, which had a lot of tech. problems as well, I think they had to redo a lot of the stage props (the giant lemon didn't open on cue or something)...

I'd see U2 at any venue at any time and I wouldn't care if there were walls of TV monitors, or giant golden arches, or if they all stepped out of a giant lemon or whatever. Shit, I'd love for them to do the club tour that they threatened to do after Popmart's less than record breaking financial performance.

Maybe they should start working some "secret" club dates into the early leg of their tours like the Stones do?
            No doubt! I saw U2 at RFK in 92,' and in Buffalo in 01.' They were the best concerts I've ever seen, with the visuals and set list of 92' being the slightly better of the two. The only band that I've seen anywhere as near as good live was of course --Van Halen in 84.'

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Ha! I still have it:

the Intro to U2's RFK show, Washington, DC. 1992...

Last edited by Nickdfresh; 08-05-2006, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kfNAAAdLyH4"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kfNAAAdLyH4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Chimp sings "Sunday Bloody Sunday" ??
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD

I do know that the British tax rate in the late-60's/early 70's was extremely high, (like 95% or something?) and once the Stones got themselves free of Allen Klein, they set up these offshore entities.
                  It was a graduated system where you had to pay 90% if you earned a lot of money.

It was dumb because all it meant was the really rich just moved abroad and you get no tax money at all. The top rate now is 40%.

Irish taxes are a bit higher and you don't get the free healthcare either.

The really rich never pay much tax either way because there are always loopholes. At my last accountants there was an old guy used to turn up once a year for his returns in a chaffeur driven Rolls Royce and he paid under $1000 a year.

Does anyone know how much Jagger has given to charity over the years? He's a tight fisted bastard, I bet he has given fuck all to anyone.

Cheers!

Last edited by Seshmeister; 08-05-2006, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister

Does anyone know how much Jagger has given to charity over the years? He's a tight fisted bastard, I bet he has given fuck all to anyone.

Cheers!

Apparently, he generously donated his sperm to an 18-year old Brazilian model a few years back.

I wonder if she called him "grande-pape?"

Comment

• Big Train
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

My bigger point, which I guess I wasn't clear on, is that is does not bother you that U2 is preaching to the world, especially us in the US, to forgive 3rd World debt and finance new projects etc via taxes, while simultaneously avoiding paying taxes as much as possible themselves. There is NO irony here for you?

The fact that they are generally bad businessmen should have no bearing on this, I would think, why you guys used it as justification puzzles me.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                        My bigger point, which I guess I wasn't clear on, is that is does not bother you that U2 is preaching to the world, especially us in the US, to forgive 3rd World debt and finance new projects etc via taxes, while simultaneously avoiding paying taxes as much as possible themselves. There is NO irony here for you?

The fact that they are generally bad businessmen should have no bearing on this, I would think, why you guys used it as justification puzzles me.
                        You mean as opposed to the corrupt assholes in gov't you shill for, that start wars that kill our troops and indigenous women and children for profit?

My BT, you really have interesting priorities.

Comment

• Big Train
                          Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Interesting priorities? You have interesting morals then my friend, if the guy who is corrupt is cool or appears to have a social cause, yet in reality is a complete "shill" to use your terms, he is ok.

BTW< I did not realize I was a shill for Halliburton or Cheney, but if you say so, must be true.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Interesting priorities? You have interesting morals then my friend, if the guy who is corrupt is cool or appears to have a social cause, yet in reality is a complete "shill" to use your terms, he is ok.

BTW< I did not realize I was a shill for Halliburton or Cheney, but if you say so, must be true.
                            Yeah well, the difference is that I don't have to buy a U2 or Stones' album if I decide they're phony dicks. I still have to pay taxes to support an immoral, self-destructive war. And you've defended Cheney, and his ties to Halliburton on many occasions.

I guess if it hasn't been recently, then you didn't do it at all, right?

Comment

• Switch84
                              Veteran
                              • Feb 2004

:eek: Damn, I didn't know they were skirting paying their taxes! That definitely flies in the face of their debt relief preaching.

Hypocrites
                              "He doesn't need to sell millions of records, he doesn't need to fill arenas, he doesn't need to be popular, he doesn't need your money, AND HE DOESN'T NEED YOU!"
                              Blackflag on DLR

Comment

Working...