Debt Relief Like Charity, Begins at home..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Train
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    Yeah well, the difference is that I don't have to buy a U2 or Stones' album if I decide they're phony dicks. I still have to pay taxes to support an immoral, self-destructive war. And you've defended Cheney, and his ties to Halliburton on many occasions.

I guess if it hasn't been recently, then you didn't do it at all, right?
    Oh, yea, I guess your right, but it still doesn't make me a spokesperson. More importantly, I was defending them both against things that were proved factually untrue, unlike you in this scenario.

You don't HAVE to pay taxes. You could just be a tax cheat like your heroes...

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

As long as their accountants keep accurate records, and it's all legal, then what's the problem?

If it's not legal then I would imagine the Irish IRS would go after them like the IRS here went after Willie Nelson

(Except that the Willie Nelson harrassment was more than likely "encouraged" by the Reagan/BCE administration after Willie launched "Farm AID". The timing was very suspicious)
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
        Oh, yea, I guess your right, but it still doesn't make me a spokesperson. More importantly, I was defending them both against things that were proved factually untrue, unlike you in this scenario.

Actually, it wasn't factually untrue. Just a remarkable coincidence and conflict of interest, but whatever.

You don't HAVE to pay taxes. You could just be a tax cheat like your heroes...
        They're not "tax cheats," and I sure you're far more adept at finding loopholes than I am. Does not paying all the taxes to the US gov't make a US corp. a bunch of traitors? That seems to be the analogy you put forth. It's sort of like you are saying if you don't pay all the taxes you can, then you're a traitor?

And again, U2 has done more for Ireland than any other single entity as far as tourism, marketing, and revenue.
        Last edited by Nickdfresh; 08-06-2006, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• Big Train
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Originally posted by FORD
          As long as their accountants keep accurate records, and it's all legal, then what's the problem?

If it's not legal then I would imagine the Irish IRS would go after them like the IRS here went after Willie Nelson

(Except that the Willie Nelson harrassment was more than likely "encouraged" by the Reagan/BCE administration after Willie launched "Farm AID". The timing was very suspicious)
          It's interesting to see how this principle applies. If it is someone you like, you sound like a Republican. If it isn't, you sound like it's a conspiracy.

Comment

• Big Train
            Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Actually, it wasn't factually untrue. Just a remarkable coincidence and conflict of interest, but whatever.

They're not "tax cheats," and I sure you're far more adept at finding loopholes than I am. Does not paying all the taxes to the US gov't make a US corp. a bunch of traitors? That seems to be the analogy you put forth. It's sort of like you are saying if you don't pay all the taxes you can, then you're a traitor?

And again, U2 has done more for Ireland than any other single entity as far as tourism, marketing, and revenue.
            Excuse me, it was and I proved it to you. Cheney had no conflict of interest regarding Halliburton. For proof, do a search on my posts. Let's not be revisionists. But yea, whatever.

Using offshore accounts is not technically illegal and that's not what I have a problem with. It's the preaching to the common man and the government that we need to forgive others debts and obligations, while simultaneously minimizing your own.

Walk the walk if you are gonna talk the talk.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

It's interesting to see how this principle applies. If it is someone you like, you sound like a Republican. If it isn't, you sound like it's a conspiracy.
              Not at all.

I don't live in the UK or Ireland, so I don't claim to be an expert on their tax laws, but it's evident that they have enough loopholes for the rich to get out of paying taxes, just as this country does.

I would prefer that these loopholes were closed, and that everyone, especially the rich, pay their fair share of the tax. But as long as the loopholes do exist, you can't blame someone for using them, The 90% tax rate that the Stones were facing in 1970 (when they left England and set up these overseas arrangements) would be ridiculous by any standards.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Big Train
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Not at all.

I don't live in the UK or Ireland, so I don't claim to be an expert on their tax laws, but it's evident that they have enough loopholes for the rich to get out of paying taxes, just as this country does.

I would prefer that these loopholes were closed, and that everyone, especially the rich, pay their fair share of the tax. But as long as the loopholes do exist, you can't blame someone for using them, The 90% tax rate that the Stones were facing in 1970 (when they left England and set up these overseas arrangements) would be ridiculous by any standards.
                OK fair enough, I will hold you to this conviction in future dicussions of inviduals and corporations tax situations. Especially the companies and individuals you despise.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

OK fair enough, I will hold you to this conviction in future dicussions of inviduals and corporations tax situations. Especially the companies and individuals you despise.
                  There's a difference. Mick Jagger and Bono Aren't asking anybody to pay $40 for their new albums because their money's all tied up in the Cayman Islands. As opposed to Exxon Mobil, Chevron Texaco, and other fraudulent corporations.

Nor did Mick & Keith outsource Charlie Watts' job to India. And Bono's not forcing starving African children to press his CD's.

And as far as taxes go, my main objection (aside from the loopholes) has been aimed at the BCE's ridiculous tax cuts, mainly because such loopholes are used, AND because Chimpy tells us we're "at war" and is already bankrupting the country to pay for it.

All of which are totally different issues from a couple of wealthy musicians setting up a Swiss bank account.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Whoahhh. Steady there, that's a hell of a stretch...

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, Guinness must help out Ireland's bottom line a little bit. God knows I've done my part to help out
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Chimp sings "Sunday Bloody Sunday" ??

"Well, I think [President Bush has] done an incredible job, his administration, on AIDS. And 250,000 Africans are on antiviral drugs. They literally owe their lives to America. In one year that's being done. … Yes, there's a lot of pressure on President Bush. If he, though, in his second term, is as bold in his commitments to Africa as he was in the first term, he indeed deserves a place in history in turning the fate of that continent around" Bono

Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald

Bush called Bono "an amazing guy," and praised him for being "a doer".
                        "He's used his position to get things done," the president said

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Personally I don't think either of them are amazing...

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

than the slaughter of Iraqis or Lebanese people.
                            There is where people like you are fucked up.

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

As long as the Supreme Court has jurisdiction over election disputes and the Electoral College is legal, then what's the problem?

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                                As long as the Supreme Court has jurisdiction over election disputes and the Electoral College is legal, then what's the problem?

Are you admitting that tax loopholes should be illegal?
                                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...