• blueturk
    Veteran
    • Jul 2004

Rummy: Opposing Iraq War Now Is Like Helping Nazi's In The '30s

Aug. 29, 2006, 3:47PM
    Rumsfeld lashes out at Bush's critics

By ROBERT BURNS AP Military Writer
    © 2006 The Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY — Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Tuesday the world faces "a new type of fascism" and likened critics of the U.S. war strategy to those who tried to appease the Nazis.

In unusually explicit terms, Rumsfeld portrayed the Bush administration's critics as suffering from "moral or intellectual confusion" about what threatens the nation's security. His remarks amounted to one of his most pointed defenses of President Bush' war policies and was among his toughest attacks on the president's critics.

Speaking to several thousand veterans at the American Legion's national convention, Rumsfeld recited what he called the lessons of history, including the failure to confront Hitler in the 1930s. He quoted Winston Churchill as observing that trying to accommodate Hitler was "a bit like feeding a crocodile, hoping it would eat you last."

"I recount this history because once again we face similar challenges in efforts to confront the rising threat of a new type of fascism," he said.

"Can we truly afford to believe that somehow, some way, vicious extremists can be appeased?" he asked.

"Can we truly afford to return to the destructive view that America _ not the enemy _ is the real source of the world's troubles?"

Rumsfeld spoke to the American Legion as part of a coordinated White House strategy, in advance of the fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, to take the offensive against administration critics at a time of doubt about the future of Iraq and growing calls to withdraw U.S. troops.

Rumsfeld recalled a string of recent terrorist attacks, from 9/11 to deadly bombings in Bali, London and Madrid, and said it should be obvious to anyone that terrorists must be confronted, not appeased.

"But some seem not to have learned history's lessons," he said, adding that part of the problem is that the American news media have tended to emphasize the negative rather than the positive.

He said, for example, that more media attention was given to U.S. soldiers' abuse of Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib than to the fact that Sgt. 1st Class Paul Ray Smith received the Medal of Honor.

He did acknowledge that the U.S. military has its own "bad actors _ the ones who dominate the headlines today _ who don't live up to the standards of the oath and of our country." But he added that they are a small percentage of the hundreds of thousands of troops who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Those who know the truth need to speak out against these kinds of myths and lies and distortions being told about our troops and about our country," he said.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was addressing the American Legion convention later Tuesday, and Bush is scheduled to speak here later in the week. On Monday, Vice President Dick Cheney and Rumsfeld made separate addresses to the national convention of the Veterans of Foreign Wars in Reno, Nev.

Rumsfeld made similar arguments in Reno about doubters of the administration's approach to fighting terrorism, saying too many in this country want to "blame America first" and ignore the enemy.

Rumsfeld's remarks ignited angry rebukes from Democrats.

"It's a political rant to cover up his incompetence," said Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., a former Army officer and member of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Reed said he took particular exception to the implication that critics of Pentagon policies are unpatriotic, citing "scores of patriotic Americans of both parties who are highly critical of his handling of the Department of Defense."

Rep. John Murtha, the hawkish Pennsylvania Democrat who voted in favor of the war but recently called for troops to withdraw, said in a statement: "It's interesting to me that they generalize the support for the war. They're not realistic with the fact that there's no progress."

Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., chimed in that Rumsfeld's remarks were trying to "shoot the messenger" rather than examine failed policy.

Rumsfeld defended the war in Iraq, saying that while U.S. military tactics have changed as conditions on the ground have changed, the administration's war strategy has remained constant: "to empower the Iraqi people to defend, govern and rebuild their own country."

In arguing against giving up in Iraq, he said people should know from history that wars are never easy.

"You know from experience that in every war _ personally _ there have been mistakes and setbacks and casualties," he said. "War is," as Clemenceau said, `A series of catastrophes that results in victory."

Last edited by blueturk; 08-29-2006, 05:46 PM.
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Re: Rummy: Opposing Iraq War Now Is Like Helping Nazi's In The '30s

Originally posted by Don Rumsfeld
    [B]

"Can we truly afford to believe that somehow, some way, vicious extremists can be appeased?" he asked.

No.

We Can't.

Which is why you and your fellow BushCO members should be tried on war crimes.

It doesn't get much more vicious, or extreme than this.

Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

"Rumsfeld...suffering from "moral or intellectual confusion" about what threatens the nation's security."

Um yeah, who's the new "IslamoFascist Hitler" again? Osama 'Doesn't Matter' Bin Laden?

Comment

• Dr. Love
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Lounge quit helping nazis ok?
        I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Dr. Love
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

You too nick.
          I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Does that mean I have to stop sending Hitler those chocolate-covered amphetamines he likes so much?

Comment

• blueturk
              Veteran
              • Jul 2004

I'm so fucking confused! Morally and intellectually!

"I would guess, I would surmise that some of the more spectacular bombings are done by al Qaeda suiciders." --George W. Bush, on violence in Iraq, Washington, D.C., Aug. 21, 2006

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Kind of a misleading thread title, but still an offensive story.
                ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Why doesn't Chimp tell Rummy that nothing was wrong with helping Nazis in the 30's?

That's what his grandpa did, and he got elected to the Senate. Even before there were Diebold machines and corrupt Supreme Courts.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                    Lounge quit helping nazis ok?

Easier said than done.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Fighting Islamic Facism while arresting the border patrol for doing their jobs.

Having China run Mexican ports so we can run the stuff through the NAFTA Superhighway that will be built by a Spanish contracting firm.

Hell, we don't even use Smith & Wesson or Colt when we go to war. It's Fabrique National from Belgium, Barretta from Italy, and Heckler and Koch from Germany. The ammo? Made in Israel by IMI.

Forget about giving Winchester any war contracts, they went out of business. Yeah, wars are suppossed to be good for the economy. Not when we buy other people's stuff to fight it with. How much money has China made supplying us with uniforms? Funny, they are the ones making the money. Polytech and Norrinco supply the terrorists and Iran with weapons and ammo and textile factory No. 5 in guangdon supplies us with uniforms, hats, duffle bags. Not to mention the electronics they sell the military. Want rare earth magnets for a guidance system. China bought the US company and sent the machinery to there.

Bush didn't declare war on Bin Ladden, he's declared war on the United States. Bush has killed more Americans and lost more jobs than Bin Ladden.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Rumsfeld's Declaration of War, on America

Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld declared war on the world yesterday, weaving an elaborate picture of an enemy made up of terrorists, morally confused and cynical westerners, disagreeable military strategists and experts, and the news media.

Enlisting every citizen in a mass ceremony, Rumsfeld stated that there could be no appeasing of the enemy and any "any moral or intellectual confusion about who and what is right or wrong can weaken the ability of free societies to persevere."

The "who" Rumsfeld is talking about is himself.

Rumsfeld is the "who" that is right, and everyone who disagrees is not only wrong, but a danger to freedom.

Within minutes of Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld's speech yesterday, I received an Email from Thayer C. Scott, the Secretary's speechwriter, delivering talking points.

The Defense Department then took the unusual step, usually reversed for its broadsides against Seymour Hersh of The New Yorker, of issuing a statement saying that the Associated Press coverage of Rumsfeld's Salt Lake City remarks mischaracterized Rumsfeld's remarks.

Either Rumsfeld has delivered one of the most important speeches of the modern era, or he's gone crazy.

I think crazy, not just because I think the Secretary is wrong on his intellectual characterization of terrorism, and not because he is wrong about the media and its intentions, and not because he is so pugnacious, or because he has been wrong so many times because.

Rumsfeld is so wrong about America. His use of World War I history and the specter of fascism and appeasement, and his argument about moral weakness or even treason in any who oppose him, is not only polarizing but ineffective in provoking debate and discussion about the proper course this nation must take to "fight" terrorism.

This is not the first time that Rumsfeld has shown himself to be so out of touch, so contemptuous of America. Rumsfeld as Secretary of Defense has displayed a contempt from long before 9/11 for anyone who disagrees with him, particularly in his initial wars against those in the uniformed military.

Moreover, Rumsfeld's declaration of war yesterday follows from his basic view that the Defense Department has to do it all: He has created an intelligence bureaucracy because he is distrustful and contemptuous of the CIA and all others. He has built up a secret army and covert capabilities in special operations forces because he wants to control and to rely only upon his own warriors. He has created a homeland security apparatus that looks over the shoulder of the Department of Homeland Security and is the ultimate arbiter of security. He has created his own FBI in the Counterintelligence Field Activity (CIFA), and fought to ensure that the NSA stays under Pentagon control. He has created his own law and his own human rights policy. He has subverted Congress through unexamined supplemental budgets and super-secret programs.

Even as a military strategist, Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld pushed a losing strategy in Afghanistan. This is not just because he went to war with an initially small force. After all, the war against the Taliban and al Qaeda began just weeks after 9/11 and that was what could be mobilized in that short period. The tragic error was that Rumsfeld continued to think that the terrorist threat existed in the form of a small army to be routed by his fabulous "transformed" warriors.

It is Rumsfeld who declared "mission accomplished" long before President Bush stepped on to the deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln. Rumsfeld has been wrong in fighting and too quick to declare victory thereafter.

Rumsfeld declared victory in Afghanistan, in addition, because he was twitching to move on to the next enemy, and the next and the next. But even when the weaknesses and problems became apparent about how the Afghanistan war had been fought, Rumsfeld still pushed an identical military strategy in Iraq, brushing aside any criticism as naïve and appeasing and out of touch with the new gathering storm of weapons of mass destruction.

And even as Iraq has become one of the biggest hornet's nests in history, the Secretary has convinced himself over and over that progress is being made and victory is just around the corner. America, Rumsfeld says, is not to blame, conflating a just war with a preemptive American strike. America is not to blame and therefore Rumsfeld is not to blame: no missteps, no errors of judgment. The Secretary just wants his soldiers to believe now that he anticipated all along that the enemy was totalitarian and fascist and that Iraq was part of the big plan.

If I were the conspiratorial type, I'd say Rumsfeld was a particular menace to America because in his view of a monolithic and totalitarian terrorist enemy, and in his analysis of the weakness of American society, he can only come to the messianic conclusion that he indeed needs to takeover the country in order to save it. And this might even be worth speculating about were it the case that Rumsfeld reflected the views of those in the military leadership, or were it the case that Rumsfeld could actually engineer such a coup.

But alas, the Secretary would get the intelligence wrong, employ too few troops, and send tank columns on thunder runs through Manhattan and Hollywood, prematurely declaring victory and then being befuddled about the American desire to recover and preserve its way of life, which is not the Rumsfeld way.

"Can we truly afford to return to the destructive view that America -- not the enemy -- is the real source of the world’s troubles?," Rumsfeld asked yesterday.

This has got an easy answer: World troubles? Rumsfeld is the source of troubles much closer to home.

By William M. Arkin | August 30, 2006; 8:01 AM ET

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Rumsfeld is an arrogant shithead who like the president, tighten their buttcheeks and act like John Wayne when questioned.

I'll be glad to see these jerks gone in two years. Unlike Hitler, who was widely popular and a God in his own Nazi Party, Bush and his assholes are widely unpopular even in the Republican Party.

That being said, it still doesn't give people their lives back, the billions of dollars wasted, and desolve the distrust the US has brought apon it by the rest of the world.

Many in the world view Bush and his big military as Hitler, lying and using excuses to invade other countries.

We were attacked by a small terrorist group composed mostly of Saudi nationals and the opperation ran out of Afganistahn. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 nor have any weapons of mass deustruction ever been found.
                          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Eb9KuZ5i5LA"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Eb9KuZ5i5LA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• blueturk
                              Veteran
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                              Kind of a misleading thread title, but still an offensive story.
                              "Can we truly afford to return to the destructive view that America _ not the enemy _ is the real source of the world's troubles?" - Rummy

With all due respect, I don't think the title is misleading. Rummy speaks of the "return" of a view that he says proliferated in the days before World War II. Not to mention the fact that he quotes Winston Churchill.

Comment

Working...