• FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

DLC posterboy Mark Warner drops out of 2008 Presidential race

Sources: Warner Won't Run for Presidency in '08

By Michael D. Shear
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, October 12, 2006; 10:08 AM

RICHMOND, Oct. 12 -- Former Virginia Gov. Mark R. Warner (D) is expected to announce later this morning that he will not seek the presidency in 2008, according to two Virginia Democratic sources with direct knowledge of the governor's intentions.

Warner, who has been actively exploring a presidential bid for months, has reportedly been telling associates for several weeks that he had not yet decided to run, according to Democratic sources who said Warner was concerned about the impact on his wife and three teenage daughters.

Politicians often are coy about their intentions before an official announcement, but friends of the former governor's said today that his expressions of doubt seemed more sincere than most.

"He would have brought the successes we have achieved in Virginia to the nation," said Alexandria Del. Brian J. Moran (D), a Warner friend. "This is a very personal decision. I'm sure he's making it in the best interests of his family."

A decision to abandon a presidential run could position Warner to be a vice presidential pick for the eventual Democratic nominee. Or it could allow him to seek Virginia Republican John Warner's U.S. Senate seat if Warner retires in 2008.

The ex-governor could also run for his old job again. Virginia law does not allow sitting governors to run for reelection, but does allow them to seek the office again after a four-year hiatus. Warner, who left office with record approval ratings, has expressed repeatedly that he might want the job back someday.

Warner's year-long dalliance with a run for the presidency has had its ups and downs.

A former high-tech entrepreneur, Warner has been highly successful at fundraising, topping most of the other Democratic hopefuls except New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. That fundraising ability helped propel him to the top of many lists of White House contenders in 2008.

His repeated trips to Iowa and New Hampshire and other early primary states were largely a success, as voters there greeted him with interest. He had been scheduled to travel to Des Moines again today.

But there have been difficulties as well. A New York Times magazine profile put a bizarre picture of him on the cover, prompting snickers. And national polls have consistently listed him as the choice of only one or two percent of the population, indicating how far he would have to go to become a household name.

But the biggest challenge, his advisers have said, would be selling his moderate, bipartisan message to a Democratic primary audience, especially at a time when the party is hungry for partisan success.

The biggest obstacle, according to people advising him, has always been Clinton, who is cruising to reelection and may decide in the next couple of months whether to seek the job her husband held for eight years.

People who know Warner say his wife and daughters have never been eager to see him run for the presidency. His wife, Lisa Collis, was not a prominent Virginia First Lady and often remarked to people close to her that she did not like the political limelight.

Warner went to Italy for a family vacation this summer, reportedly to have the final decision-making conversation with them. Several people close to him have said that conversation did not take place.

Warner is scheduled to make the announcement in Richmond, at the Jefferson Hotel Thursday morning.

© 2006 The Washington Post Company
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • knuckleboner
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

what was wrong with warner?

Comment

• Guitar Shark
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

I'm going to copy and paste this story into the 2008 presidential candidates thread.

Too bad, Warner seemed like a potentially strong candidate.
      ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
      Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner
        what was wrong with warner?
        You tell me. The whole point is, I know next to nothing about the guy or what he believes in, and that's the entire problem.

The DLC was shoving him down everybody's throat for two reasons...

1) Being a corporate billionaire who can raise money

2) Alledgedly a "southerner" though Virginia is barely South and he wasn't born there.

I watched one of his speeches on C-Span and heard absolutely nothing that would inspire me to vote for the guy. As opposed to Bill Clinton at the 1988 Democratic convention. Or the 2003 speech at the California Democratic Party Convention which kickstarted Howard Dean's career.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• knuckleboner
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

i follow virginia politics a little more closely.

virginia, as a whole, is definitely a more conservative state. we haven't gone blue in the presidential elections since LBJ.

warner, a democratic governor, was able to do a good job with a highly republican state legislature. he left office with extremely high approval ratings, despite the fact, or more likely because of the fact that his major accomplishment was a tax restructuring, which in many cases led to tax increases.

but virginia did have structural fiscal problems and something needed to get done. warner did it and convinced the legislature, and the people, that it needed to be done. despite the fact that many of the more conservative republicans are still saying that it was a grossly unnecessary tax hike, warner's virginia popularity remains strong.

now, i'll give you that warner's "presidential" run thus far has not been inspiring. although, it was still extremely early.

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Nov 2004

Who the fuck is Warner? And why was this all over the news today?
            Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD

2) Alledgedly a "southerner" though Virginia is barely South and he wasn't born there.

Keep on putting your foot in your mouth...

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                Keep on putting your foot in your mouth...
                Look at a map, dude.....

If I were driving out of Virginia, which would be closer? Windsor Ontario (Canada) or your hometown of New Orleans (the old "CSA")

The only reason the Confederates wanted to keep Virginia is that the politicians were too lazy to move to another state.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

You really are alot dumber than I previously gave you credit for...

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Nov 2004

You really are alot dumber than I previously gave you credit for...
                    This is coming from someone who brings very little to the Army other than comments such as this. It's really very BigBlandBrian-esqe of you.

Calling Ford "dumb" with a sentance that includes "alot" is great comedy.
                    Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Ok...

A

Fucking

LOT

Fuck you and your sister...

Ok, lets have the Christian bashing...

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Ok...

A

Fucking

LOT

YOU bash Jesus Christ everytime you post a hateful rant like this
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Nov 2004

Ok...

A

Fucking

LOT

Fuck me and my sister? And that is Christ-like how?

Christians? Here? Where?

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Oh bullshit...

Your liberal, gay oriented, preconceived ideas of Christ cloud your every thought...

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
                              Fuck me and my sister? And that is Christ-like how?

Christians? Here? Where?
                              My last post was for FORD...

But, are you another message board expert on what a Christian is, should say, or do ??

Comment

Working...