• Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Van Halen on 2007 RRHOF ballot

Van Halen, R.E.M. on upcoming ballot for Hall of Fame
    Saturday, October 28, 2006
    John Soeder
    Plain Dealer Pop Music Critic

Go ahead and jump -- for joy! -- Van Halen fans. The hard-rocking band has been nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2007, along with eight other acts.

This is the first nomination for Van Halen, although the group has been eligible for at least the past three years.

R.E.M. and the Ronettes are the other first-time nominees on the latest Rock Hall ballot, which also has Chic, the Dave Clark Five, Grandmaster Flash, Patti Smith, the Stooges and Joe Tex in the running again for enshrinement, according to a source familiar with the nomination proceedings.

Van Halen has sold more than 56 million albums in the United States alone, on the strength of such hits as "Why Can't This Be Love" and the chart-topping "Jump." The Los Angeles band released its self-titled debut in 1978. Hotshot guitarist Eddie Van Halen has been a mainstay, but the group has had a succession of lead singers, including David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone.

R.E.M., the jingle-jangle alt-rock pride of Athens, Ga., is fronted by vocalist Michael Stipe. After winning over the college-radio crowd in the early 1980s, the band found mainstream success to the tune of "Losing My Religion" and other Top 40 singles.

New York City's Ronettes were a quintessential R&B girl group, groomed by producer Phil Spector, whose eight-year marriage to singer Ronnie Spector of the Ronettes ended in 1974.

The trio is best known for its 1963 smash "Be My Baby."

The Dave Clark Five became one of England's leading musical exports in the 1960s, riding high on the charts with "Over and Over," "Because," "Bits and Pieces" and other British Invasion tunes.

New York singer-poet Smith and Detroit's Stooges, led by Iggy Pop, paved the way for punk by taking a no-frills approach to rock in the late '60s and early '70s.

"The Message" and "White Lines" were hits in the '80s for Grandmaster Flash. This marks the third consecutive nomination for the groundbreaking New York DJ, who would be the first hip-hop artist in the Rock Hall if he makes the cut.

Chic, helmed by Bernard Edwards (who died of pneumonia in 1996) and Nile Rodgers, also has a hip-hop connection. The funky groove from the disco-era New York band's "Good Times" resurfaced on the Sugar Hill Gang's "Rapper's Delight," the first major hip-hop single.

Soul singer Tex of Rogers, Texas, reached the Top 5 in 1965 with "Hold What You've Got." He died of a heart attack in 1982.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, based in New York, oversees the induction process. Artists are eligible 25 years after the release of their first recording.

The foundation recently downsized its nominating committee, made up of music industry insiders and chaired by Bruce Springsteen's manager, Jon Landau.

"We've made the committee smaller to move things along quicker," said Joel Peresman, president and CEO of the foundation.

Ballots are set to be mailed in the next few days to an international pool of voters, including record company executives and previous inductees.

Plans for the 2007 induction ceremony have not been announced.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

jsoeder@plaind.com, 216-999-4562http://www.cleveland.com/entertainme...610.xml&coll=2
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • Jérôme Frenchise
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Nov 2004

If they do reunite, they've got all the chances.
    posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Unchainme
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Apr 2005

If the reunion IS true..

Than it will happen...There is money to be made...And RNR VH1, VH all want it...

Will be great to see Hagar NOT AT THE CEREMONY! ....

Just like it should fucking should be..
      Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• MAX
        Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Re: Van Halen on 2007 RRHOF ballot

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
        Chic, the Dave Clark Five
        Hahaha!!!

Having BOTH of those bads inducted alongside VH would be sooooo fitting.

First off with Chic cos of Nile Rodgers. Dave's stated that they're pals and Nile also has both played with and produced YFLM. Secondly, Dave Clark Five cos Ed has stated that they were his first biggest influence when they got off the boat and started getting interested in rock and roll.

Could make for a killer ceremony. Ed could speak/induct DC5 and Dave could do the same for Chic. Could make for a fun evening.
        EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Panamark
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
          Will be great to see Hagar NOT AT THE CEREMONY! ....

Just like it should fucking should be..
          Yep ! If this is an induction for the original band, then
          Hagar has absolutely no right to be there.
          If they have a secondary induction 10 years later..
          Then I guess he gets his turn then

Is it just conincedence that this nomination and
          the reunion tour are in the same year ?? hmmmmm
          BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Matt White
            • Jun 2004

Van Halen has to wait 3 years to get nominated....

REM will get in on their first attempt...........

If that doesn't wake the sisters up outta their coma.............

Comment

• Unchainme
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
              Van Halen
              R.E.M.
              Ronettes
              The Dave Clark Five
              Smith
              The Stooges,
              Grandmaster Flash.
              Chic
              Tex

VH deserves it No question...

R.E.M. Should fucking wait a couple of years..

Dave Clark Five..Sure why not..

Who the Fuck are the Ronnettes? Another Motown group in there? I think that is the most overrated Genre ever...Seriously...70's funk like Earth, Wind and Fire, and The Ohio Players never get the recognition they deserve..But Motown gets its ass kissed everyday...

Who the Fuck is Smith?

The Stooges, Again a No Brainer..one of the pioneers of Punk/Alt. genre...

Grandmaster Flash, Eh...Iffy...If you consider it a ROCK Hall...Good Rap group though...I auctually really like them...

Chic, I guess...More a Disco group though, But Niles Rodgers is pretty fucking cool..They're in...I like them as well..

My question is...When the Fuck are KISS, and Rush going to be put in?
              Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• bru87tr
                Commando
                • Apr 2004

maybe this is just one of the small considerations to have a reunion. is it possible they knew and heard through the grape vine that they were gonna be nominated ?

I know ed loves the classic stuff over van hagar stuff. when I watch those old warm ups with sammy. ed rips the old stuff to practice.

lets see get into the hall with the classic hard rock or the cheesy pop love light rock ?

no brainer to me. get dave back, huge world tour, finish the partial album, release it and rule, and get into the hall of fame in one year.

also breaking attnedance records and have the biggest selling concert tour of all time ?

ya, it seem like the right time and seem very likely.
                "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

• fe_lung
                  Sniper
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
                  VH deserves it No question...

Who the Fuck is Smith?

Dude, pick up a copy of Horses and you'll understand why Patti Smith belongs.

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Apr 2004

[i]
                    Is it just conincedence that this nomination and
                    the reunion tour are in the same year ?? hmmmmm [/B]
                    I was thinking the same thing.

Suddenly two big announcements at the same time.

I was wondering which came first.

Did they get nominated due to the rumblings of a possible reunion with Dave?

Or are they reuniting to give themselves a better shot at being inducted?

Whats the importance of the date 4/17? Is that the date for induction? The announcement of a summer tour? The beginning of the tour? This is going to be an exciting next few months in Vanhalenland.

Fasten your seatbelts....
                    Last edited by diamondsgirl; 10-28-2006, 03:33 PM.
                    “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• sadaist
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by diamondsgirl

Whats the importance of the date 4/17? Is that the date for induction? The announcement of a summer tour? The beginning of the tour? This is going to be an exciting next few months in Vanhalenland.

Fasten your seatbelts....

Missed that. Where did you see that date?
                      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Please please please..I hope to god HAGAR doesn't get inducted in as well.

He DOESN'T DESERVE IT!!!

All he did was ride on the innovating success of CVH, package together a new band that became Van Hagar and produced 4 mediorce stuido albums.
                        =V V=
                        ole No.1 The finest
                        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

If they get inducted, he gets inducted
                          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• bantonelli
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                            If they get inducted, he gets inducted
                            That's right! It's unfortunate, but look at the article about VH being nominated....they mention "JUMP" and that crappy "Why Can't this be Love". That pretty much says they'll honor both Frontmen.

I can only imagine that SPAM will either not show up to keep his dignity since his appearance will only create a very Tense atmosphere and ROTH will probably throw some joking dagers at the Fattard.

Or SPAM will show so he can have his 15 seconds of Fame on the RNRHOF stage and try to get his Tequila as a commercial sponsor when they end up showing it on television.
                            "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

• Dan
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

That's Great News.
                              First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

Working...