• Show
Clear All
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Fu Manchu - We Must Obey

FU MANCHU TITLE NEW RECORD ‘WE MUST OBEY’

Band’s 10th album, in stores Feb. 20, to feature Cars cover

Orange County fuzz-rock quartet FU MANCHU have set We Must Obey as the title for their forthcoming 10th studio album, which will be released on Feb. 20, 2007 (a day earlier in Europe). The complete track listing is as follows:

1. We Must Obey

2. Knew It All Along

3. Let Me Out

4. Hung Out To Dry

5. Shake It Loose

6. Land of Giants

7. Between The Lines

8. Lesson

9. Moving In Stereo

10. Didn't Really Try

11. Sensei vs. Sensei

Co-produced by the band members themselves, We Must Obey was recorded at Hollywood’s Grandmaster Recorders (Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Black Crowes), while finishing touches were added at Oasis Mastering by Gene Grimaldi (Velvet Revolver, Pennywise, Rev. Horton Heat).

"The title We Must Obey is a big 'Fuck you' to people who like to tell us what we can and can't do," says founding guitarist/vocalist Scott Hill. "It's not specifically directed at any one person, just at the thought of someone thinking that they know what's best for you, more than you knowing what's best for you. That theme sort of runs through the entire record.

"It's a pissed-off sounding record," Hill continues. "There are a few 'quiet' moments, but those are rare. I grew up on hardcore -- punk rock bands from '80 to '85 -- so i definitely think those influences are showing up a little more. There are some straightforward rock riffs on there as well. Overall,

it's a very full, heavy and fuzzy-sounding record."

In the spirit of such classic FU covers as Blue Oyster Cult’s “Godzilla” and Devo’s “Freedom of Choice,” the album sees the band tackle The Cars’ “Moving In Stereo,” a well-known track from that group’s multi-platinum 1978 debut.

Two other tracks from We Must Obey, “Hung Out To Dry” and “Between The Lines,” also appear on the new Hung Out To Dry EP. The 3,000-copy, limited-edition release – which sees a 7” vinyl single and a four-track compact disc packaged together in a gatefold seven-inch sleeve – can be pre-ordered for $6 at

. It will also be available for sale at the band’s upcoming “EP release show” on Friday (Dec. 1) at the Viper Room in Hollywood, Calif.

“Hung Out To Dry” can currently be heard at the band’s MySpace page, www.myspace.com/fumanchu.

OK then!

If it smells akin to "Eatin' Dust" (and the albums before it), I am ALL OVER this!!

Twistin' by the pool.
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Fuckin' wonderfull!

The fact they say it sounds "Fuzzy" gets me excited, cos that's what been missing on the last two records.

Bring on the heaviness and the weed!
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• bueno bob
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by binnie
      Fuckin' wonderfull!

The fact they say it sounds "Fuzzy" gets me excited, cos that's what been missing on the last two records.

Bring on the heaviness and the weed!
      Couldn't agree with you more, dude...

I listened to both California Crossing and Start the Machine once...haven't played them again since...

Although the Something Beyond EP was rather good...

I have "high" hopes for the new album!
      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• SparkieD
        Veteran
        • Sep 2006

I posted a link to "Hung Out..." a month or so back. Cool tune. And glad the fuzziness is back! I missed it, too. Still waiting to hear their version of "DOA." You've gotta buy the EP through their website. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm sure it'll fuckin' rock!
        Originally posted by Tiki-Tom You're one classy tattooed bombshell in my book.
        Originally posted by rustoffa
        Three words. WE WERE THERE.

Comment

• WACF
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

The Cars cover should be interesting...seems like a different choice of song.

Looks good.

Comment

• Tiki-Tom
            Commando
            • Apr 2006

If ‘WE MUST OBEY’ sounds anything like the song “Hung Out To Dry” off the new EP then it will be a winner. There's always room for more Fu in my collection.
            Even the past couple of discs are better than a good bit of the shit being put out by others these days. I do hope that the "In Search Of...... " sound shows up a bit on the new one.
            [

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
              If ‘WE MUST OBEY’ sounds anything like the song “Hung Out To Dry” off the new EP then it will be a winner.
              I agree. I've just had a look: the whole album is apparently downloadable on the mule now (only one source for each of the 11 tracks though).

Good news that they release something new - and punchy, as it sounds on "Hung Out To Dry".
              posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
              posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Even the past couple of discs are better than a good bit of the shit being put out by others these days.
                Yep, still the best active stoner band that I can think of...

Comment

• SparkieD
                  Veteran
                  • Sep 2006

Yep, still the best active stoner band that I can think of...
                  But Binnie, what about COC?

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by SparkieD
                    But Binnie, what about COC?
                    I wouldn't call COC a stoner band, they're not like Kyuss, Masters of Reality etc

To me COC are straight up metal. The first two records with Pepper were thrash-esque, and then they became slow, crunchy metal with a bit of southern-tinge on the guitars.

I would say that "Amercian Volume Dealer" has stoner moments, but that record is not typical of the band. Still kicks major ass though...

Comment

• Tiki-Tom
                      Commando
                      • Apr 2006

I would say that "Amercian Volume Dealer" has stoner moments, but that record is not typical of the band. Still kicks major ass though...
                      So true Binnie. "Amercian Volume Dealer" spins frequently in my CD player. They got a lot of flack for that one and I could never understand why, It's an excellent disc . Maybe the stoner vibe is what makes it sound so good to me.
                      [

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

So true Binnie. "Amercian Volume Dealer" spins frequently in my CD player. They got a lot of flack for that one and I could never understand why, It's an excellent disc . Maybe the stoner vibe is what makes it sound so good to me.
                        i really like the quiter moments on it to "13 angels" and "Sleepin' Martyr". To me those songs are incredibly emotional and prove how great a song writer Pepper is...

Comment

• Tiki-Tom
                          Commando
                          • Apr 2006

Just listened to part of it and this ones gonna kick ass
                          some heavy shit on there

Last edited by Tiki-Tom; 01-20-2007, 03:45 PM.
                          [

Comment

• SparkieD
                            Veteran
                            • Sep 2006

Take it from the Tiki---THIS ALBUM IS THE MOTHER-FUCKING SHIT!!!

And the Cars cover is su-fucking-perb!!! They made it their own.

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by SparkieD
                              Take it from the Tiki---THIS ALBUM IS THE MOTHER-FUCKING SHIT!!!

And the Cars cover is su-fucking-perb!!! They made it their own.
                              2007 is looking great already...

Comment

Working...