Clear All
  • Sarge
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Kerry Collins to be cut by Giants

Collins says he expects to be ex-Giant real soon
    April 26, 2004
    SportsLine.com staff and wire reports

Having failed to trade Kerry Collins on Saturday, the New York Giants reportedly are close to cutting ties with their quarterback of five years.

Advertisement

Newsday reported that Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi laid out a plan to restructure Collins' contract during a Monday morning meeting and that Collins refused; Collins is owed $7 million in 2004 and the club is unable and unwilling to keep him at that price after trading for Eli Manning during Saturday's first round of the NFL Draft, Newsday reported.

SportsLine.com's Jay Glazer reported Saturday that Giants coach Tom Coughlin called more than one team trying to deal Collins, once the trade for Manning was consummated.

Collins told the newspaper he left the meeting with Accorsi with the impression he would be released later this week.

"Obviously, I'm reflective about the past five years," Collins told Newsday. "It's been a great five years. At the same time, I'm looking forward to moving on."

Collins, a 1996 Pro Bowl selection, struggled last season, throwing for 3,110 yards with 13 touchdowns and 16 interceptions while starting in 13 games. New York ended the 2003 campaign with a 4-12 record.

The Penn State product guided the Giants to Super Bowl XXXV following the 2000 season where they lost to the Baltimore Ravens. He also helped lead the Panthers to the NFC Championship Game after the 1996 campaign before Carolina lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers.

For his career, which also includes a short stint with New Orleans, Collins has passed for 26,383 yards with 132 touchdowns and 134 interceptions.
    ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
    The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
    [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]
  • Sarge
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

I wouldn't restructure either. These teams need to honor their contract the same way they expect the players to

Comment

• Bob_R
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Yeah, now "The Bachelor" will be a backup his whole career.
      Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Eli Manning is a fuckhead.

Comment

• Eyes of the Night
          Veteran
          • Jan 2004

I just hope Eli won't audible like a mo' fo as much as his bro does ...

Eli is small ... I bet he will get CRUSHED in da NFL ...

Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Yeah I don't think he's gonna live up to the hype. And to be honest I'm rooting against him, after his whining the past few weeks.

Comment

• DLRismydad
              Groupie
              • Apr 2004

I think this is a stupid move. The giants are throwing an unproven rookie Quarterback in there under the pressure of playing in New York.If he falters who are they going to bring in? The bachelor

Comment

• Lou

I can't wait until the Eagles-Giants opener at the Linc, first game of the year. I am praying Eli starts so he'll get crushed. I do think that cutting Collins is 100% the right move. His days of being an effective QB are over, and there's no point in either having him still be the starter and wasting everyone's time, or having him as a very expensive backup. That being said, the Giants were fucking morons for giving up all those draft picks for Eli Manning, when Rivers may be just as good if not better than Manning. Reminds me a little of when the New Orleans Saints made the dumbest trade in history, trading all those draft picks for Ricky Williams.

And by the way, if I were the Giants I'd also cut Tiki Barber. He SUCKS anymore. He literally kills drives with his fumbles. What did he have, 2 TD's all last year, and 6 lost fumbles. He's done.

Comment

• Bob_R
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

It's official now btw guys.
                  Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• ALinChainz
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Collins will be sought after by a few clubs. Couch, Warner and now Collins will be out there trying to land a spot.

I have read that teams all over the league are laughing at the Giants, paying too much for Eli, releasing Collins before June 1st, etc.

They have pretty well conceded 2004 in my book. They will wish they had that #1 next year, it would have been a high choice.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Collins will be sought after by a few clubs. Couch, Warner and now Collins will be out there trying to land a spot.

I have read that teams all over the league are laughing at the Giants, paying too much for Eli, releasing Collins before June 1st, etc.

They have pretty well conceded 2004 in my book.

Comment

• DLRismydad
                        Groupie
                        • Apr 2004

Now matter how good Eli turns out to be the giants won't be in the playoffs this year

Comment

• Lou

Yeah so looks like San Diego will be having at least one high first round pick, likely two next year.

Comment

• redblkwht
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I read strahan is going to the plate for collins ala media..
                            NY is in a uproar..when are they not? lmao

EUAS

Comment

• Sarge
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Eli isn't as good as his brother..

Comment