• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kamaboko
    Head Fluffer
    • Nov 2006

Roth was "never" snubbed from RnRHOF

Rock Hall of Fame denies it snubbed Van Halen's Roth

The Hall's president and CEO says the singer was offered numerous chances to sing at the induction ceremony.

By Geoff Boucher, Times Staff Writer
    March 10, 2007

David Lee Roth has been doing all the talking lately--big surprise there--but on Saturday the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame responded to Roth's public protests that he's been rudely snubbed.

The clock is ticking toward Monday night's induction of Van Halen into the Hall and, as of Saturday, Roth was standing by his pledge to skip the show, which will air live on VH1 Classics. The flamboyant rocker blames Hall officials who won't let him perform on the stage. But Joel Peresman, the Hall's president and CEO, said in a Saturday e-mail to The Times that Roth has told only part of the backstage story.

"The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is sorry that David Lee Roth will not attend this year's induction of Van Halen. We offered him opportunities to play and sing a Van Halen song of his choice with our House band, including his own guitar player or a song with Velvet Revolver and he refused those opportunities."

Peresman concluded the e-mail with a curt denial that the Hall is somehow the bad guy in all this: "We made every effort and the decision not to come was solely his, not ours."

So who's telling the truth? It looks like both sides could have been less rigid and, that in the end, they ran out of time and patience.

The Roth camp says that the only offer they had received before Friday was an invitation to perform "You Really Got Me" with Velvet Revolver. Roth balked in part because that song, off Van Halen's first album, was originally recorded by the Kinks and is not a "true" Van Halen song.

Roth wanted to do his trademark tune, "Jump," but that was a curveball for Velvet Revolver, apparently, with rehearsal time limitations. On Friday, according to sources close to the show, event producer Joel Gallen offered Roth a chance to do "Jump" with Paul Schaffer and some players of Roth's picking but, for Roth, that came too late, apparently, to allow travel and needed rehearsal time.

Hall officials, privately, were surprised and wondered if Roth really wanted to perform at all. They also said if he had traveled east to New York to work with the producers on site, everything would have worked out.

Roth, meanwhile, said he felt like the Hall was more concerned with Velvet Revolver's issues than the band getting inducted. He said he's been preparing since December for the Hall event and loathes the prospect of missing it. "It rips my heart out," he said Thursday.

The Van Halen induction is looking to be a fairly sad affair. Eddie Van Halen announced last week that he is entering rehab and he's not expected at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel ceremony in New York.

----

Again, Roth is a lying bitch. He learned well from Ed. Moreover, he picked the gay anthem "Jump" over "You Really Got Me". How long do you think it would take for Schaffer and Co. to learn "Jump". Uhhh...one take. They're fucking seasoned studio masters.
  • jero
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Fuck you!

Comment

• DlocRoth
      ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by jero
      Fuck you!
      Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

That's bullshit!

Now the Hall is back-peddling.

Just on Friday, Hall president said that they just tried to have any incarnation of Van Halen to perform -- when they realized that wasn't going to happen, they tapped Velvet Revolver to play on VH's behalf.

They made no mention of offering Dave other alternatives to performing.

The Hall is fucking lying because of the negative press they immediately received over the news on how Dave wasn't allowed to perform.

Which is true.

But now they are saying all of this bull-crap??
        =V V=
        ole No.1 The finest
        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• LoungeMachine
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

meh.

who really cares at this point?

It's VH

We knew it would crash before takeoff.

As always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
          Originally posted by Kristy
          Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
          Originally posted by cadaverdog
          I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• bantonelli
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Nov 2004

It's all a big mystery to me, but I'll give ROTH the benefit of the doubt on this.

I think the Television Producer was probably not flexible in letting the artist(honoree) handle things or it could be that Dave wanted all the air time that the producer felt SPAMtard should share ?

It's another letdown for us. It rips my heart out that Dave doesn't go up and accept the award on behalf of CVH.
            "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by bantonelli

Lounge was right all along.....

He called it.

Originally posted by Kristy
              Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
              Originally posted by cadaverdog
              I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• indeedido
                Veteran
                • Feb 2004

Another loud AWESOME. More bullshit for the fans to weed through.
                This space for rent.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2007

Re: Roth was "never" snubbed from RnRHOF

Originally posted by kamaboko
                  Again, Roth is a lying bitch. He learned well from Ed. Moreover, he picked the gay anthem "Jump" over "You Really Got Me". How long do you think it would take for Schaffer and Co. to learn "Jump". Uhhh...one take. They're fucking seasoned studio masters.
                  You're willing to take the Hole's word for it......

Buaha...

You've been punk'd twice.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2004

----

Again, Roth is a lying bitch.
                    Whatever!

It called "damage control" by the RRHOF.

Numbnuts!
                    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2004

Last edited by Diamondjimi; 03-11-2007, 01:01 PM.
                      Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2007

Re: Re: Roth was "never" snubbed from RnRHOF

Originally posted by diamondjimi
                        Whatever!

It called "damage control" by the RRHOF.

Numbnuts!
                        Someone gets it.

Have some of these star thingys....

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

There's only one lying bitch in this thread, and his name ain't Roth.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Redballjets88
                            Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

im pretty sure either they are in fact back pedalling, or dave is just being a bitch
                            R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• Little Lamont
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Mar 2007

[B]Rock Hall of Fame denies it snubbed Van Halen's Roth

They also said if he had traveled east to New York to work with the producers on site, everything would have worked out.
                              I thought Dave lived in NY! Somebody lying and you shitfaced if you think it's Dave.

Comment

Working...