Bush announces Mideast peace conference.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Savicki
    • Jan 2004

Bush announces Mideast peace conference.

Have we seen that much change in the Middle East?

President Bush on Monday announced an an international conference this fall to include Israel, the Palestinian authority and some of their Arab neighbors to help restart Mideast peace talks and review progress in building democratic institutions.

He said that Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice would preside over the session. Bush said the conference would include representatives from Israel, the Palestinians "and their neighbors in the region" and said participants would include just those governments that support creation of a Palestinian state.

Bush also pledged increased U.S. aid to the Palestinian government of President Mahmoud Abbas and called for the convening of a meeting of "donor" nations to consider more international aid, including the Arab states of Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Jordan.

Bush said the past few years had see "some hopeful, some dispiriting" changes in the Middle East. And he called the present time "a moment of clarity for all Palestinians. And now comes a moment of choice."

Bush voiced strong support for Abbas and his moderate Fatah government. Abbas controls just the West Bank after the Islamic militant group Hamas gained authority over Gaza in June.

He said Abbas and his new prime minister, Salam Fayyad, "are striving to build the institutions of a modern democracy."

Bush contrasted his government with Hamas, which he said "has demonstrated beyond all doubt that it is devoted to extremism and murder."

Only the Palestinians can decide which of these two paths to follow, Bush said.

He noted that the United States has pledged more than $190 million in direct assistance to the Palestinians, most of it already approved and that the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, a quasi-governmental unit, was making another $228 million available in loan guarantees.

Administration officials said that Bush would await recommendations from former British Prime Minister Tony Blair before deciding whether asking Congress for more.

Blair was recently named as special envoy to the region by the "Quartet" of Mideast peace makers — the U.S., European Union, United Nations and Russia.

That group meets in Portugal on Thursday, at which time Rice and other international negotiators will meet with Blair as he begins his new assignment. Snow said that Bush had discussed his new proposals with Blair.

And is Condoleezza any more of a success than Cheney?
    sigpic
  • Eddie's Booze
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2007

Re: Bush announces Mideast peace conference.

Originally posted by Steve Savicki
    Have we seen that much change in the Middle East?

President Bush on Monday announced an an international conference this fall to include Israel, the Palestinian authority and some of their Arab neighbors to help restart Mideast peace talks and review progress in building democratic institutions.

He said that Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice would preside over the session. Bush said the conference would include representatives from Israel, the Palestinians "and their neighbors in the region" and said participants would include just those governments that support creation of a Palestinian state.

Bush also pledged increased U.S. aid to the Palestinian government of President Mahmoud Abbas and called for the convening of a meeting of "donor" nations to consider more international aid, including the Arab states of Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Jordan.

Bush said the past few years had see "some hopeful, some dispiriting" changes in the Middle East. And he called the present time "a moment of clarity for all Palestinians. And now comes a moment of choice."

Bush voiced strong support for Abbas and his moderate Fatah government. Abbas controls just the West Bank after the Islamic militant group Hamas gained authority over Gaza in June.

He said Abbas and his new prime minister, Salam Fayyad, "are striving to build the institutions of a modern democracy."

Bush contrasted his government with Hamas, which he said "has demonstrated beyond all doubt that it is devoted to extremism and murder."

Only the Palestinians can decide which of these two paths to follow, Bush said.

He noted that the United States has pledged more than $190 million in direct assistance to the Palestinians, most of it already approved and that the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, a quasi-governmental unit, was making another $228 million available in loan guarantees.

Administration officials said that Bush would await recommendations from former British Prime Minister Tony Blair before deciding whether asking Congress for more.

Blair was recently named as special envoy to the region by the "Quartet" of Mideast peace makers — the U.S., European Union, United Nations and Russia.

That group meets in Portugal on Thursday, at which time Rice and other international negotiators will meet with Blair as he begins his new assignment. Snow said that Bush had discussed his new proposals with Blair.

And is Condoleezza any more of a success than Cheney?
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1DWoJBHibhM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1DWoJBHibhM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu...moking_dog.jpg

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Re: Bush announces Mideast peace conference.

Originally posted by Steve Savicki

Bush said the conference would include representatives from Israel, the Palestinians "and their neighbors in the region" and said participants would include just those governments that support creation of a Palestinian state.
      Then why is Israel's right wing Likud Zionfascist government invited? They DON'T support the creation of a Palestinian state.

Palestinian prison, yes. State, no.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Redballjets88
        Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

ford can you just accept this has a decent move by bush? plus if israel wasn't invited they would have thrown a massive fit
        R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Redballjets88
          ford can you just accept this has a decent move by bush? plus if israel wasn't invited they would have thrown a massive fit
          "Decent move"? It's the least he can do considering the mess he's made (or at least contributed a enormous amount to) over there!
          Originally posted by conmee
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
          Originally posted by eddie78
          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Redballjets88
            Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

yeah. thanks for agreeing with me

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

If Chimpy actually succeeded in this (which will happen when Satan needs to install central heating) it would only prove what I've been saying for years.....

.......Chimpy is the Antichrist.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Redballjets88
                Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

i hope he does so i can watch you cry.

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
                  Veteran
                  • Feb 2006

Optimism is one thing, rose-tinted full body glasses are another...
                  RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Redballjets88
                    Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

i don't see what is a bad thing about a mideast peeace conference, I mean Clinton loved doing these, and everyone seemed to love it. don't let your hatred for bush make you hate a good thing.

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Nov 2004

Everything Bush touches turns to shit.
                      Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• Redballjets88
                        Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
                        Everything Bush touches turns to shit.
                        true but ya know, fingers crossed.

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Nov 2004

true but ya know, fingers crossed.
                          Shit covered fingers.
                          Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• Redballjets88
                            Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

can people ever just admit something is looking alright? other than ford bc he won't

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Nov 2004

Dude, you were 11 when this guy stole the Presidency. We have been watching this for years. I admire your optimism, but you ain't gonna get me cheering for Bush.

Unless someday he is convicted of the war crimes that he is guilty of. I'd do some cheering for that.

Comment

Working...