Why tour with 24 to 30 year old tunes if there is more to this than a cash grab?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TongueNGroove
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2004

Why tour with 24 to 30 year old tunes if there is more to this than a cash grab?

First of all, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against a band making money and I have no problem with CVH (Can we still call it that with Wolf in there?) touring with just old material (It's better than nothing).

But I noticed in the Press Conference that Dave was all about a, "This isn't a one time thing, we are here to stay" (Paraphrased of course) kinda of attitude.

Let me ask you this, if Dave was serious about there being more to it than a cash grab, then why not put out a new album first and tour with that? Why not at least put out a couple new songs and tour with that like the '04 tour? Wouldn't new tunes this winter and then a Summer '08 tour be better considering it is their 30th aniversarry? Van Halen is a Summer band after all. "Summer Nights and my radio".

Are they just trying to make as much as they can and then risk putting out some tunes in case no one likes the new stuff? Or is there not going to be any new stuff?

Who knows what is going on behind the scenes, but ED seemed genuine when he said he had a brother in Dave. Are they just putting their differences aside to have some fun and make some quick money or are they serious about this thing? If they are serious then why not any new music?

Also, do you think they really care about the fans? Are they doing this for the fans like Sammy did, or do they really not give a shit about you/us?

All that said, it was good to hear Dave say, "Criticize us as much as you want, we are going to put on a great show" (Or something to that affect) because it makes me believe ED will be on his game this time, and as long as ED is on his game it will be a concert not to be missed, cash grab or not.

What say y'all.
    -We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "Smart"?

-If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier.
  • DLRISVH7884
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2006

I think they just want to go on the road to see how things work out and see if they can make it through this first leg of the tour without fighting then maybe hit the studio for a new album after the tour.

I think it's kind of about money, but at the same time, they are glad to runite and ready to hit the road to play the old songs we've growen to love.

I think it's more the promoters trying to rank in the cash with concert tickets prices, selling tickets to brokers, trying to hype it to us fans, trying to milk it for what it's worth.

Every concert tour is like this, not just this one.

Comment

• Rat Salade
      Groupie
      • Aug 2007

Plus the fact that this tour is should be named "Shit or off the pot", eddie needed to shit or get off the pot. It's been a long time since we've had a tour of this magnitude - it needs to fucking happen, come hell or high water. everyday i find myself listening to more and more old VH shit and saying, goddamn this would sound awesome live.
      "It seems like 40 days and 40 nights since someone used my first name, including you."

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

A lot of bands get "warmed up" on the road and it fuels the creativity in the studio.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band toured before they attempted to record their "reunion" album, which eventually became "The Rising". That's probably the best example for a band that has been away for a long time.

Come to think of it, I seem to remember talk coming from Howdy Doody mountain in 1999 raving about the second Van Danniels album being recorded at the time, and they were claiming that this album was going so much better than VDIII did, because the band had been on the road.

Now obviously none of us ever got to hear the Van Danniels sequel, and it's probably just as well that we didn't. And granted, "better than VDIII" isn't really setting the bar too high. But aside from that, the principle of the idea makes sense.

A band really isn't a band unless they play live. Van HALEN had 3 or 4 years of live gigs behind them when they recorded their first album, but now they have 22 years apart and a new bass player. Starting over by playing a tour really makes since when you think about it in those terms.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Baby steps....
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Ellyllions
            Veteran
            • Mar 2006

Well, if I were coming into a situation where I was about to spend a lot of money, I'd do something to try to make that money so I don't have to spend any of my "own" money. Make sense?

Recording and all the details that it involves costs money. A tour before the recording, mixing, engineering, and pressing will put some collateral in pockets that will finance the creation and distribution of the album. It's smart to do it.
            "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• Hyman Roth
              Veteran
              • Nov 2006

I wont read your post (sorry), but based on the title of this thread - "Why play 30 year old tunes?"

BECAUSE THOSE TUNES FUCKING ROCK!!!
              Trollidillo-T

Comment

• Fuct Jup
                Head Fluffer
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Hyman Roth
                I wont read your post (sorry), but based on the title of this thread - "Why play 30 year old tunes?"

BECAUSE THOSE TUNES FUCKING ROCK!!!
                I was going to say the same thing!

I want to see Ed and Dave play these songs again. By the looks fo the ticket sales, a lot of people do. Its been too long since those guys have played these live. Its worth it to me to see them play these songs exclusively this tour.
                Anything left in that bottle?

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Ellyllions
                  Well, if I were coming into a situation where I was about to spend a lot of money, I'd do something to try to make that money so I don't have to spend any of my "own" money. Make sense?

Recording and all the details that it involves costs money. A tour before the recording, mixing, engineering, and pressing will put some collateral in pockets that will finance the creation and distribution of the album. It's smart to do it.
                  This is true, but then they don't have to worry about booking studio time, as they already have 5150 studios. They might very well be label shopping though. I'm not sure it was ever clarified whether or not the band completely broke with Warner Brothers or not.

So if they don't have a record contract at the moment, then touring, and getting a bidding war going, might be a good move.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Ellyllions
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2006

Shit, if I owned a label I don't know if I'd touch this or not.

Too volitile a past to be confident.
                    "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• Little Lamont
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Mar 2007

"Summer nights and my radio?"

What the hell is that?

Comment

• Little Lamont
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Mar 2007

How about, "Well I'm a bum in the sun and I'm having fun and you know I know I got no special plans?"

Shit yeah!

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by FORD
                          This is true, but then they don't have to worry about booking studio time, as they already have 5150 studios. They might very well be label shopping though. I'm not sure it was ever clarified whether or not the band completely broke with Warner Brothers or not.

So if they don't have a record contract at the moment, then touring, and getting a bidding war going, might be a good move.
                          I imagine that WB will put out any new material.....

In an era where CDs aren't selling, why would they turn down the chance to shift several million units?
                          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Ellyllions
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2006

Isn't WB going bankrupt, though?

Thought I read that somewhere...

Comment

• Carmine
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Ellyllions
                              Isn't WB going bankrupt, though?

Thought I read that somewhere...

heard the same thing: "financial Difficulty".

Hey, release a NEW Van Halen album, problem solved.

Comment

Working...